The Student Room Group

Best A-Level Combination for Medicine?

Hi I'm currently in Year 11 and wondering which of the following combination would be the best to get into medicine.

1) Chemistry, Biology and Physics

2) Chemistry, Biology and Maths

3)Chemistry, Biology, Maths and Further Maths

4) Chemistry, Biology and Psychology

5) Chemistry, Biology, Physics and Maths

I've pretty much set to do 3 A-Levels just in case I don't do well with 4, but will that have a disadvantage? I'm really good at the three sciences and maths, I haven't studied psychology at school but I would like to.

I'm happy with all of the combinations since I know I would enjoy them all but I just want to know which one has the best chance of getting into oxbridge
Reply 1
There’s not really a best combination. All the above options have biology and chemistry and usually you just need the one more subject. There’s no necessity or advantage in doing 4, especially if the fourth is Further Maths as some medical schools don’t count it as a separate subject.

Personally, I did Maths, Further Maths, Biology and Chemistry but most people do biology, chemistry and maths (I think Cambridge want 3 sciences)

Some replace Maths with something else. Doesn’t matter as long as it meets entry requirements.
(edited 6 years ago)
Im in yr11 currently and also want to do medicine.. i have chosen biology, chemistry, physics as the sixth form I will go to only let’s you do 3 options even at AS. There isnt a ‘right’ combination as long as you get chemistry and biology for some unis. Probably decide which are your favourites as you will be studying them for 2 years. You won’t be at a disadvantage having 3, most unis only want 3 results anyway. Hope this helps.
Original post by Kiko M
Hi I'm currently in Year 11 and wondering which of the following combination would be the best to get into medicine.

I've pretty much set to do 3 A-Levels just in case I don't do well with 4, but will that have a disadvantage? I'm really good at the three sciences and maths, I haven't studied psychology at school but I would like to.

I'm happy with all of the combinations since I know I would enjoy them all but I just want to know which one has the best chance of getting into oxbridge

Hi there!

As others have said, there's no real 'best' combination of A-Level subjects for medicine - most medical schools require Chemistry and Biology, but many don't specify what they require as a third subject (and it's worth noting that offers are made from three A-Levels, so there's no need to do a fourth).

You might find it useful to visit our page on What A-Levels do you need to be a doctor? page - this details what each med school requires in terms of subject combinations, and what they recommend as a third choice.

Hope this helps! :smile:
The Medic Portal
Reply 4
Original post by Kiko M

Chemistry
Biology
Anything you want except Critical Thinking.
Hi!

For some context, my elder sister applied for Medicine and although she got rejected from Oxford, she did get an interview which had a very small chance of happening. She got interviews from all her universities and is currently waiting on offers.

She's doing A levels in Chem, Bio, Maths, Physics and a shortened AS course in Further Maths. So 4 and a half A levels I guess? She got an A in her AS Maths and has predicted A*s for all of her other subjects.

I'm also planning to apply to medicine. I want to do the exact same subjects, but I am thinking about swopping Physics for Economics just because I enjoy it, though it will do very little to further my application for Medicine.

I have to say, doing 3 vs 4 A levels really depends on what school you're at. If you're at a average school and do 3, that's more than ok . But my sister and I both attend a decent private sixth form and we were advised to do 4 as you're considered more privileged to come from a sixth form and that they would consider 3 subpar for the kind of environment you worked in. (My sister only did further maths as an extra because she enjoyed it and to add a challenge to her school work.)

Many people in year 13 at this school applied for medicine with 3 A levels and have got maybe one or two interviews. But that could be down to her amazing UkCAT or other factors. Just thought that might be a point to consider. Good luck picking! :smile:
Original post by Kiko M

As you've specifically asked about Oxbridge none of the answers above actually answer the question, unfortunately.

Cambridge DO require a third science (or more accurately, the success rate when applying for Cambridge is vastly lower if you don't have 3 sciences).

Oxford don't require a third science. However, the success rate is greater if you have maths. F.maths is also probably beneficial. Physics is not.

The other important consideration is that you will need A*s and As. Failing to get that would obviously be a deal-breaker. But putting that aside, the answer to the question as you've phrased it is probably bio, chem, and maths. Additional subjects may or may not help things further.
Original post by S.G.
There’s not really a best combination. All the above options have biology and chemistry and usually you just need the one more subject. There’s no necessity or advantage in doing 4, especially if the fourth is Further Maths as some medical schools don’t count it as a separate subject.

Personally, I did Maths, Further Maths, Biology and Chemistry but most people do biology, chemistry and maths (I think Cambridge want 3 sciences)

Some replace Maths with something else. Doesn’t matter as long as it meets entry requirements.

Original post by Ellasimpson_
Im in yr11 currently and also want to do medicine.. i have chosen biology, chemistry, physics as the sixth form I will go to only let’s you do 3 options even at AS. There isnt a ‘right’ combination as long as you get chemistry and biology for some unis. Probably decide which are your favourites as you will be studying them for 2 years. You won’t be at a disadvantage having 3, most unis only want 3 results anyway. Hope this helps.

How was it? I'm in year 11, and hoping to do Biology, Chemistry, I'm stuck on what to do for my third subject, I really wanted to do Business, but Watford Girls doesn't have it. I really want to go there as its 10 mins away and the school I'm currently at is like 40 mins. Do you think taking 3 sciences really helped, I was thinking of doing Maths, I need to improve my grades though. But there's always geography and economics. I'm just so confused on what to do for the third. Maybe Chemistry, Biology, Physics and Maths. I really don't know.
Original post by AnimalLoverSimba
How was it? I'm in year 11, and hoping to do Biology, Chemistry, I'm stuck on what to do for my third subject, I really wanted to do Business, but Watford Girls doesn't have it. I really want to go there as its 10 mins away and the school I'm currently at is like 40 mins. Do you think taking 3 sciences really helped, I was thinking of doing Maths, I need to improve my grades though. But there's always geography and economics. I'm just so confused on what to do for the third. Maybe Chemistry, Biology, Physics and Maths. I really don't know.

Maths is sometimes beneficial, but only to some universities and for Cambridge, there's only a preference for maths depending on the college, oxford and most other unis only require Bio and Chem (or one of the 2) so you might wanna consider choosing your 3rd/4th subjects based on affinity & skill

Latest