rosewillow
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I want to pick 2 of these a levels to go with art and geography but I don't know much about them...if anyone's taken them/is taking them and can tell me a bit about what they're like and what they're useful for (uni/job wise) that'd be great
I'm considering 2 from:
-Religious studies
-Economics
-Geology
-Psychology
ajayma
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I’m doing rs at the minute and I would really recommend it . The exams consist of 2 essays on particular topics but the content is really interesting and even though one half of it is almost history it’s really relevant as it’s all tied back to the message nowadays.
rosewillow
Rep:
?
(Original post by ajayma)
I’m doing rs at the minute and I would really recommend it . The exams consist of 2 essays on particular topics but the content is really interesting and even though one half of it is almost history it’s really relevant as it’s all tied back to the message nowadays.
Thanks I'll consider it then because I wanted to pick at least 1 from RS and economics because apparently they're considered more "academic" than the other 2. I might do both
yeahthatonethere
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I did a Religious Studies AS Level and I'm doing psychology A Level and I'd honestly recommend both!

Psychology has a lot more content and encompasses science and essay subjects into one! What you learn depends on you exam board but on my exam board (Edexcel) in the first year we do obedience, prejudice, aggression, drug addiction, memory, eating disorders and phobia just to name a few! It's a lot to learn but it's very interesting.

Religious Studies is more heavily essay based and on AQA it involves philosophy, ethics and and religion (we did Buddhism which is uncommon to cover but was awesome). I personally love the ethics section but it's also a lot of revision just not as much.

I will happily answer any specific questions you have on either of these subjects if you want!
rosewillow
Rep:
?
(Original post by yeahthatonethere)
I did a Religious Studies AS Level and I'm doing psychology A Level and I'd honestly recommend both!

Psychology has a lot more content and encompasses science and essay subjects into one! What you learn depends on you exam board but on my exam board (Edexcel) in the first year we do obedience, prejudice, aggression, drug addiction, memory, eating disorders and phobia just to name a few! It's a lot to learn but it's very interesting.

Religious Studies is more heavily essay based and on AQA it involves philosophy, ethics and and religion (we did Buddhism which is uncommon to cover but was awesome). I personally love the ethics section but it's also a lot of revision just not as much.

I will happily answer any specific questions you have on either of these subjects if you want!
Thanks question, how complex/difficult is the science aspect of psychology? Because I typically get B's in my sciences so I'm not sure if taking a scientific subject is a great idea. The entry requirements for psychology at the sixth form I'm going to is C's in english and maths + B's in all 3 sciences so I'd only just be fitting the criteria for science
yeahthatonethere
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by rosewillow)
Thanks question, how complex/difficult is the science aspect of psychology? Because I typically get B's in my sciences so I'm not sure if taking a scientific subject is a great idea. The entry requirements for psychology at the sixth form I'm going to is C's in english and maths + B's in all 3 sciences so I'd only just be fitting the criteria for science
Well I am a science student so I'll try to be as unbiased as I can!

Like I said content will depend on your exam board and on mine the most science-related bits are how synapses work and how drugs can affect them and basically memorising definitions and what bits of the brain do. It's not really anything too complex and honestly I think asking for B's in all science is a bit much!

There is some maths in it but the most complex it gets is learning how to do some stats tests which can be hard to wrap your head around but they should give you the equations its they ask you to do them.

You'd honestly be completely fine doing psychology with B's (which are great btw) in science.
Hope I've helped and anymore questions just ask!
minivampire
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I want to pick 2 of these a levels to go with art and geography but I don't know much about them...if anyone's taken them/is taking them and can tell me a bit about what they're like and what they're useful for (uni/job wise) that'd be great
I'm considering 2 from:
-Religious studies
-Economics
-Geology
-Psychology
I currently take A level psychology and I love it!
It does have scientific aspects (but not loads...so I wouldn't worry), I only got a C in core science and a B in additional, and I cope pretty well! There are statistics you need to remember, but the course is really interesting.
There is maths involved, but not a lot.
Psychology is actually useful for a wide range of jobs...
Directly related would be; (I mean that's providing you did psychology at degree level)
  • Clinical psychologist
  • Counselling psychologist
  • Educational psychologist
  • Forensic psychologist
  • Further education teacher

Other jobs;
  • Advice worker
  • Careers adviser
  • Counsellor
  • Detective
  • Human resources officer
  • Life coach
  • Market researcher
rosewillow
Rep:
?
(Original post by yeahthatonethere)
Well I am a science student so I'll try to be as unbiased as I can!

Like I said content will depend on your exam board and on mine the most science-related bits are how synapses work and how drugs can affect them and basically memorising definitions and what bits of the brain do. It's not really anything too complex and honestly I think asking for B's in all science is a bit much!

There is some maths in it but the most complex it gets is learning how to do some stats tests which can be hard to wrap your head around but they should give you the equations its they ask you to do them.

You'd honestly be completely fine doing psychology with B's (which are great btw) in science.
Hope I've helped and anymore questions just ask!
Thank youuuu!
rosewillow
Rep:
?
(Original post by minivampire)
I currently take A level psychology and I love it!
It does have scientific aspects (but not loads...so I wouldn't worry), I only got a C in core science and a B in additional, and I cope pretty well! There are statistics you need to remember, but the course is really interesting.
There is maths involved, but not a lot.
Psychology is actually useful for a wide range of jobs...
Directly related would be; (I mean that's providing you did psychology at degree level)
  • Clinical psychologist
  • Counselling psychologist
  • Educational psychologist
  • Forensic psychologist
  • Further education teacher

Other jobs;
  • Advice worker
  • Careers adviser
  • Counsellor
  • Detective
  • Human resources officer
  • Life coach
  • Market researcher
Ok thanks, that doesn't sound too bad! I've considered marketing/media and psychology degrees in the past so I'll likely take psychology at a level in case it comes in handy
ajayma
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Thanks I'll consider it then because I wanted to pick at least 1 from RS and economics because apparently they're considered more "academic" than the other 2. I might do both
Yeah RS is thought of highly by unis as it’s academic and really develops critical thinking skills
rosewillow
Rep:
?
Yeah RS is thought of highly by unis as it’s academic and really develops critical thinking skills
I thought it might be but I wasnt sure because for some reason it's never on lists of academic subjects to take. I just assumed it was academic based off of the fact it requires a good writing and thinking skills
ajayma
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I thought it might be but I wasnt sure because for some reason it's never on lists of academic subjects to take. I just assumed it was academic based off of the fact it requires a good writing and thinking skills
Yeah all unis accept it as a strong subject so I’d say it’s a good choice and the content isn’t hard to understand
rosewillow
Rep:
?
Yeah all unis accept it as a strong subject so I’d say it’s a good choice and the content isn’t hard to understand
Ok good
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (128)
41.69%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (35)
11.4%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (25)
8.14%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (67)
21.82%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (33)
10.75%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (19)
6.19%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed