kad01
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
My university is refusing to provide confirmation to student Finance even thou student Finance are willing to fund me. I applied for mitigation last year because I was depressed and having anxiety so I couldn't do my exams and it was accepted but what I didn't know was that the university was not going to register me as a student with attendance. I need this funding because without it I won't be able to support me and son. I have no job, my housing benefit has been rejected and I am in arrears with my rent, broad band, charge my electricity or gas and I can't even afford to buy bread or cook proper meal plus my son has also got infection from cold. I have even asked the university to allow me to withdrawn my mitigation so I can be register with attendance but they are refusing. I don't really know what to do; my GP has also declared me not fit to work for two month so our only source of income at the moment is my child benefit, child tax credit and sick pay which they have not even start paying yet.

Any advice please I'm even thinking of writing my MP but I don't know if that might help.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by kad01)
My university is refusing to provide confirmation to student Finance even thou student Finance are willing to fund me. I applied for mitigation last year because I was depressed and having anxiety so I couldn't do my exams and it was accepted but what I didn't know was that the university was not going to register me as a student with attendance. I need this funding because without it I won't be able to support me and son. I have no job, my housing benefit has been rejected and I am in arrears with my rent, broad band, charge my electricity or gas and I can't even afford to buy bread or cook proper meal plus my son has also got infection from cold. I have even asked the university to allow me to withdrawn my mitigation so I can be register with attendance but they are refusing. I don't really know what to do; my GP has also declared me not fit to work for two month so our only source of income at the moment is my child benefit, child tax credit and sick pay which they have not even start paying yet.

Any advice please I'm even thinking of writing my MP but I don't know if that might help.
Have you seen a student adviser at the SU? When you mean last year do you mean 2017 or last academic year?

It seems like you suspended studies because you missed exams and they accepted that, but are unwilling to let you continue the course this academic year? Maybe they dont believe you can cope with the course?

You can get discretionary payments for up to 60 days from SFE and by that time you need to get yourself transferred onto the benefits system.
I am guessing at the scenario here because it is not clear.

1. Talk to the student adviser at the SU or student welfare.
2. Find out if the uni has a hardship fund.
3. Talk to SFE on this forum.
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=910
4. Talk to Citizens Advice about how to get transferred to the mainstream benefits system.
https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/about-us/contact-us/
5. You can also talk to Housing Benefit at your local council or social services.
6. Shelter can advise you on housing.
https://england.shelter.org.uk/get_help
kad01
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Thank you for your comment I really appreciate it.

Yeah I had seen a student adviser but the university basically told her that they can't change my register with attendance and I can't withdraw my mitigation either. I was talking about 2016/17 academic year. I didn't really suspended my studies I just didn't apply for mitigation until it was almost one month to my exams; I wasn't in a good place there are days that I don't even want to live the house and I think I only attended few lectures and seminars. When I applied for mitigation I wasn't told that I will be repeating as a student with non-attendance. Basically my university is saying that they can give me access to learning materials online and I am allow to attend lectures and seminars but just not register for the 2017/18 academic year.
Student finance has agreed to give me maintenance loan and special support grant as long as the university can provide confirmation of when I will be starting this semester.

I applied for hardship fund at my uni but I was told I'm not entitle because I am not register for this 2017/18 academic year so they can't give me any assistant. My housing benefit was rejected and I do receive child tax benefit, child tax credit and sick pay. It is hard for me there are few things I need to buy for uni and i won't be able to afford transportation to go to uni for lectures and seminars.

Who do you think I should contact for help regarding the matter with my university?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you attending a Global Climate Strike?

Yes, I'm striking (35)
7.25%
No, but I wanted to/I support the cause (285)
59.01%
No (163)
33.75%

Watched Threads