The Student Room Group

My house is INSANELY messy

I don't even know where to start tbh, it's a tip. My mom works extremely long hours as she has more than 1 job, I'm usually at school from 7-6 (I'm doing my A Levels and am really struggling, and since my house is so messy I go into school early and leave late to get all revision and homework done), and my little brothers are only 10 so they don't really help out much with housework, which is understandable. It's really embarassing, there's boxes full of my mom's paperwork everywhere, clothes piled up on every sitting space and the dining table is usually full of more paperwork or unwashed dishes. I usually do a quick wash of the dishes/a round of laundry once I get home, but then I end up falling asleep (my sleeping pattern is really messed up oops).

I don't know what to do about it, my mom is too caught up in her work to realise the state the house is in and I'm prioritising revision because I genuinely won't pass my A levels unless I put this amount of time into them. The garden hasn't been touched in years and is so overgrown and messy - I can never invite people over without waking up at like 5am to do a quick clean, and even then it's still embarassingly messy. I'm so tired of it but I don't know where to start - any ideas?
college from 7am-6pm ?

that's insane
I would advice to try to clean during Saturday and Sunday for about 2 hrs each time.
I honestly don't know about your actual situation,
However, I would consider first to organize the paperwork and maybe try to place it somewhere on a higher level. Difficult for kids to access.
The Garden should be your least priority(and I also don't think you will be able to help with that😅).
For the clothes, organize by the usage and try to store and keep the ond that you don't use much often.
Honestly, I don't have other advice since as said above, I don't know you
Reply 3
$100 says mine is worse.
Can you try and talk to everyone together? If you do a joint effort one weekend to get everything perfect so you have a good place to start it shouldn't take long between three of you (your rother is able to do some simple tidying, sorting clothes into whose they are etc). After that try and write a chores list and give everyone jobs to keep on top of it - most proper cleaning can e done once a week (e.g. hoovering, cleaning bathroom, shopping) but you can give your younger brother some appropriate chores - I was washing up at that age and he could hoover too and be responsible for his own toys etc. If you keep on top of cleaning it never takes too long and shouldn't be a big thing. It's only when you let it spiral that it takes a long time.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending