Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
What do you do in it?
Is it a lot of work (like art? :P)?
Do you like it?
Would you recommend it?
How is it assessed?

Sorry for all the questions, I am choosing my options soon and considering this one.
Bill Nye
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Oops typo in the title. Meant GCSE
James244
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Im in year 13 did gcse art + resistant materials(like PD). From my experience (of the old specification) its pretty easy. You have to complete about 14 a3 sheets but in my school we were taken through it step by step and completed about one per week. I would say its no where near as much work as art as long as you stay on top of it Although i did stay behind school a few hours when it came to making the final product. When i did it there was an exam which was pretty easy, things like learning material properties and a small design task to be completed in the exam (mine was to design a hurdle). Overall it is easy but thats from my opinion and everyone is different, i would talk to you teachers.
IMPORTANT: I studied the old specification when it was graded with letters so it may be different now. Hope i helped
CoolCavy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Will write you an answer when I get home
Fghcrgvv
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
i personally found it quite easy but ive done the old gcse, so we've had 23(?) about 23 A3 pages full of writing and drawing, its not a hard subject, and i wouldnt say theres as much work as in art, as long as u can sound convincing and know basics about plastics and woods which you should be taught, youre fine. you dont even need to be too creative tbf. i took it for a level too, and people say u cant do all the coursework in a week, but if u try hard enough u can get it all done and up to decent standard lmao. i actually really liked it; in my highschool and my sixth form which are worlds apart, the subject teachers are quite relaxed so its a lot more enjoyable than other subjects. we had coursework 60% and exam 40% at gcse but it could be different for u now as they're all new specs. so weve done target market research, then 4-8 initial ideas, then developed them, and developed them again, then chose materials, looked at prices, sustainability, suitability to the production scale, etc. i personally do recommend it, it definitely helps with basic stuff like fixing things at home lol
AlwaysBroke.
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I am currently doing Tech Product design with AQA exam board. I am not sure, but I think the specification and percentage that goes towards your overall grade will change for 2019's GCSE exams

Anyways what to say-tech product design is extremely fun. We have a small set in our school, but its full of talkative people. It is an engaging, valuable experience if you love "engineering" and making stuff and is something to put on your CV (very important if your taking Art alongside it and are going for a career such as architects)

In tech product design there is a theory and a coursework (controlled) assessment. The theory is quite tough-you must learn knowledge about different materials, their properties, costs, (possibly what sizes they come in, but often irrelevant.) However, some of the information ties in with chemistry, such as polymers, thermosoftening and setting plastics. However you won't really need to know the entire chemistry behind them-just the keywords and characteristics. Tech product design wants to see if you know the best material to use in certain situations/products and identify its characteristics.

Coursework. Oh coursework. Yes, its a lot of work and i mean a lot. I have written over 12,900 words for 8/90 marks and still have so much more to do. I'm crazy though and probably spend too much time. The AQA set guideline is around 20 A3 pages, and most revision book say you should spend around 45 hours on the coursework. But me and other students can certainly say, you're going to have to spend more than 45 hours. Believe me.

Other than the workload, the coursework allows you to pick tasks- for example, I (and most of my classmates) picked a task that said to design a product in a certain design movement as it gives you quite a lot of freedom and you are not limited into what you can make. Majority of people either make a lamp, speaker or clock but whatever, make what you want. Its fun being in the workshop, calculating sizes, using CAD programs, operating the laser cutting machine, 3-d printing, spray painting booth etc. and there is a lot of freedom is given to students who take it. Like, I can begin to work on some of my components and talk to my mates at the same time, or freely go to the computer room to work on CAD

In AQA tech product design, the coursework is worth 60% and the theory 40% (subject to change, I think its changed for 2019 or 2020's GCSE exam). This can be seen as a great opportunity to easily pass. I would recommend tech product design, only if you are organised. If you are a guy that always hands in his homework late or does it last minute or is generally unorganised, this isn't the subject for you. I'm telling, hours will be sucked away from home and school focusing on your coursework and you must be organised to stay on track.

**** me, hugeeeee block of text. TLR take it as 60% coursework 40% theory so easy pass or easy B. Be organised, around 45 hours+ put into it-workload is large like Art. I hope this helped if you do read it lol.
Bill Nye
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
(Original post by mc_miah)
I am currently doing Tech Product design with AQA exam board. I am not sure, but I think the specification and percentage that goes towards your overall grade will change for 2019's GCSE exams

Anyways what to say-tech product design is extremely fun. We have a small set in our school, but its full of talkative people. It is an engaging, valuable experience if you love "engineering" and making stuff and is something to put on your CV (very important if your taking Art alongside it and are going for a career such as architects)

In tech product design there is a theory and a coursework (controlled) assessment. The theory is quite tough-you must learn knowledge about different materials, their properties, costs, (possibly what sizes they come in, but often irrelevant.) However, some of the information ties in with chemistry, such as polymers, thermosoftening and setting plastics. However you won't really need to know the entire chemistry behind them-just the keywords and characteristics. Tech product design wants to see if you know the best material to use in certain situations/products and identify its characteristics.

Coursework. Oh coursework. Yes, its a lot of work and i mean a lot. I have written over 12,900 words for 8/90 marks and still have so much more to do. I'm crazy though and probably spend too much time. The AQA set guideline is around 20 A3 pages, and most revision book say you should spend around 45 hours on the coursework. But me and other students can certainly say, you're going to have to spend more than 45 hours. Believe me.

Other than the workload, the coursework allows you to pick tasks- for example, I (and most of my classmates) picked a task that said to design a product in a certain design movement as it gives you quite a lot of freedom and you are not limited into what you can make. Majority of people either make a lamp, speaker or clock but whatever, make what you want. Its fun being in the workshop, calculating sizes, using CAD programs, operating the laser cutting machine, 3-d printing, spray painting booth etc. and there is a lot of freedom is given to students who take it. Like, I can begin to work on some of my components and talk to my mates at the same time, or freely go to the computer room to work on CAD

In AQA tech product design, the coursework is worth 60% and the theory 40% (subject to change, I think its changed for 2019 or 2020's GCSE exam). This can be seen as a great opportunity to easily pass. I would recommend tech product design, only if you are organised. If you are a guy that always hands in his homework late or does it last minute or is generally unorganised, this isn't the subject for you. I'm telling, hours will be sucked away from home and school focusing on your coursework and you must be organised to stay on track.

**** me, hugeeeee block of text. TLR take it as 60% coursework 40% theory so easy pass or easy B. Be organised, around 45 hours+ put into it-workload is large like Art. I hope this helped if you do read it lol.
xD thanks

I am definitely considering it as I am 99% sure what else I want to do (I want to pick computer science, triple science, French and something else)

I am thinking about this and history (2 very different subjects).

I have always enjoyed using CAD etc in tech lessons (but atm I am doing cooking xD) and have been questioned good at using it imo.

But I do quite good in history do idk.

I mean thinking about it, I would look forward to a double lesson of tech, but dread a double lesson of history... xD
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bradford
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate Open day Postgraduate
    Thu, 24 Oct '19
  • Cardiff University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Oct '19
  • Brunel University London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Oct '19

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (74)
24.1%
No (233)
75.9%

Watched Threads