The Student Room Group

Can I get back an offer from a uni I rejected?? Please help

Hi,
So I received all my offers last October, 4 conditional offers. So I firmed Portsmouth and made Aberystwyth my insurance choice, as I was planning on sitting an entrance exam and if I did well they'd convert it to unconditional.

To summarise I've decided against wanting to go to Aberystwyth and I want to change it, ideally I'd change it to the University of Liverpool as I'd received an offer there.

I rejected my offer from the University of Liverpool originally, is there any way of getting it back and switching insurance choice???
As far as I’m aware, you can’t, it is very hard to change. Your only option would be to email UCAS and Liverpool to try and reach a separate agreement. Which is why they advise not to make your firm and insurance offers until March. Sorry.
Reply 2
Original post by ScarlettCake2
As far as I’m aware, you can’t, it is very hard to change. Your only option would be to email UCAS and Liverpool to try and reach a separate agreement. Which is why they advise not to make your firm and insurance offers until March. Sorry.

Thank you!, I've emailed Liverpool
Original post by Aps_xo
Thank you!, I've emailed Liverpool

Are your offers still conditional? Mainly Portsmouth - if they make you unconditional then that drastically alters your options.

You are going to need to get both aberystwyth and Liverpool universities to agree to let you swap your choices around. If they both agree and notify ucas (and you also notify ucas over the phone) then it is possible to swap them

You need to be very clear about what you want the final outcome to be (and you need to be sure - swapping again is going to be even more complicated).

Don’t rely on emails - phone. And when you phone ask for the name and job title of the person you speak to.

You need agreement from Liverpool first to still honour their offer. Once you have that you need to ring ucas to explain what you want to happen and then aber and Liverpool (again) to ask them to contact ucas with their consent for the switch.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Bernadette04
If you don’t make your firm offer of Portsmouth when exam results come out in August, you need to then phone Aber and say you don’t want to go there for your insurance, and thus go into clearing. You then have to see whether Liverpool have a space for you on the course through clearing.

It’s too late at this stage to change your insurance choice. Ensure you get the grades for Portsmouth and then you have no need to worry at all. One of my sons did this too by firming and insuring choices pre Christmas and then changing his mind over the insurance choice. He was relieved he made the offer for his firm choice so all was well in the end. As the poster says above, best not to select choices for definite until start of Feb/March when you have had a chance to think things through properly.

Clearing can be a good thing though in many cases, but you have to join the scramble in August should you not wish to go to Aber as insurance, and hope they release you from the contract you have made to go there if you don’t make your firm.

There’s no need for the op to wait until August to resolve this.
Reply 5
Original post by PQ
Are your offers still conditional? Mainly Portsmouth - if they make you unconditional then that drastically alters your options.

You are going to need to get both aberystwyth and Liverpool universities to agree to let you swap your choices around. If they both agree and notify ucas (and you also notify ucas over the phone) then it is possible to swap them

You need to be very clear about what you want the final outcome to be (and you need to be sure - swapping again is going to be even more complicated).

Don’t rely on emails - phone. And when you phone ask for the name and job title of the person you speak to.

You need agreement from Liverpool first to still honour their offer. Once you have that you need to ring ucas to explain what you want to happen and then aber and Liverpool (again) to ask them to contact ucas with their consent for the switch.

Thanks for your response, Liverpool suggested clearing or adjustment now I've accepted Portsmouth's unconditional and placed it as my firm choice. I read on the UCAS website anyone with a firm unconditional is eligible for clearing so I'll try and do well in my exams and see whats on offer.
Original post by Aps_xo
Thanks for your response, Liverpool suggested clearing or adjustment now I've accepted Portsmouth's unconditional and placed it as my firm choice. I read on the UCAS website anyone with a firm unconditional is eligible for clearing so I'll try and do well in my exams and see whats on offer.

Yes. If your firm choice is unconditional then your only real option is extra/clearing. You need Portsmouth to cooperate - they have to send the instruction to ucas to place you into clearing. That can take a while in clearing terms (on average 24-48 hours from asking) so is worth arranging well before results day (plus by arranging it early Portsmouth know that they can give your place to someone else which can only be good karma!).
Original post by Aps_xo

Could you post a link to the place on the UCAS website you read that? it doesn't look right.

If you have a firm unconditional place at Portsmouth you will not be able to go into clearing unless they release you. Universities will normally do this, but they may not make it a priority and so you might miss the first few days of clearing. Are you sure you don't want to go to Portsmouth?

Quick Reply

Latest