Joining the army with past mental health issues

Watch this thread
This discussion is closed.
Evesfall
Badges: 4
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
After a long hard think I was thinking on joining the army before becoming a paramedic.

It was my dream whilst I was in school but my family prevented joining.

My depression was all tied down deep childhood abuse and neglect which resulted in me self harming a few times, having depression and taking an overdose once.

I have been depression free for a year now and happy
Take care of myself, eat healthy, my fitness levels have peaked and I have a joke supporting vulnerable adults which requires a high degree of trust and mental determination.

I applied online only to be rejected over my past depression issues and they said I could appeal.
Is it worth it?
04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 years ago
Good for you, I'm so glad to read you've got through this.

I'm sorry to hear about your rejection, I'm not the expert on the matter but it might be worth trying? To me it sounds like it's a question of whether you'd be able to cope with the mental strain of the armed forces.

Anyhow, I've moved your thread into the Armed Forces forum where there are people far more knowledgeable than me can give you advice. Do check out the rest of the forum too where you might be able to find some more information.
NFI
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
No harm in appealing. Just don't assume you'll have your application supported. Good luck.
Drewski
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Evesfall)
After a long hard think I was thinking on joining the army before becoming a paramedic.

It was my dream whilst I was in school but my family prevented joining.

My depression was all tied down deep childhood abuse and neglect which resulted in me self harming a few times, having depression and taking an overdose once.

I have been depression free for a year now and happy
Take care of myself, eat healthy, my fitness levels have peaked and I have a joke supporting vulnerable adults which requires a high degree of trust and mental determination.

I applied online only to be rejected over my past depression issues and they said I could appeal.
Is it worth it?
I've taken this from the pdf "medical conditions that preclude service to the RAF', but the Army's list will be pretty much identical:

"• Current psychiatric illness
• Depressive disorders with or without treatment of any form in the last 3 years or 2 or more episodes in the last 4 years, or 3 episodes at any time.
• Anxiety symptoms within the last 12 months, if more than 1 will require assessment by the RAF medical staff
• Psychosis
• Schizophrenia
• Obsessive-compulsive disorder
• Autistic spectrum disorders including Asperger’s
• Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) unless free of symptoms and not requiring treatment for at least three years
• Personality disorder
• More than one episode of deliberate self-harm of any type
• Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
• History of alcohol dependence or harmful use
• Drug or substance dependence or harmful use
• Anorexia and bulimia"

The list is not exhaustive, and everything is taken on a case by case basis, but if you tick anything on that list is extremely unlikely you'll get in.
Evesfall
Rep:
(Original post by Drewski)
I've taken this from the pdf "medical conditions that preclude service to the RAF', but the Army's list will be pretty much identical:

"• Current psychiatric illness
• Depressive disorders with or without treatment of any form in the last 3 years or 2 or more episodes in the last 4 years, or 3 episodes at any time.
• Anxiety symptoms within the last 12 months, if more than 1 will require assessment by the RAF medical staff
• Psychosis
• Schizophrenia
• Obsessive-compulsive disorder
• Autistic spectrum disorders including Asperger’s
• Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) unless free of symptoms and not requiring treatment for at least three years
• Personality disorder
• More than one episode of deliberate self-harm of any type
• Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
• History of alcohol dependence or harmful use
• Drug or substance dependence or harmful use
• Anorexia and bulimia"

The list is not exhaustive, and everything is taken on a case by case basis, but if you tick anything on that list is extremely unlikely you'll get in.
I've not self harmed since I was 19, i know they have a ban on self harm.
My doctor accused me of self harming when i was 21 but it was a scratch from my pet.

You know I've worked so hard and it seems my childhood is also going yo ruin my adulthood too.
cat_mac
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Do you take any medication? I know a guy who applied but didn’t get in because he needed prescription cream for his acne.

They are very strict on mental health issues, for obvious reasons. Of course you can appeal but from what you’ve described and only having a year of being recovered I wouldn’t get your hopes up 😕
GalGirl101
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Like others in the thread have said, you can appeal if you want just make sure that you don't get your hopes up.
Duncan2012
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
It's great that you've come through things and are now happy and depression-free, and I suggest you keep your mind open about other careers (civilian paramedic perhaps?) as I suspect it's unlikely you'll make progress with an army application. Good luck however things turn out.
Drewski
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Evesfall)
I've not self harmed since I was 19, i know they have a ban on self harm.
My doctor accused me of self harming when i was 21 but it was a scratch from my pet.

You know I've worked so hard and it seems my childhood is also going yo ruin my adulthood too.
That work isn't going to waste by not joining the Army, so don't fret too much. All this does is maybe narrow your options slightly - it doesn't prevent them all.

Duncan's post is spot on.
Evesfall
Rep:
(Original post by Duncan2012)
It's great that you've come through things and are now happy and depression-free, and I suggest you keep your mind open about other careers (civilian paramedic perhaps?) as I suspect it's unlikely you'll make progress with an army application. Good luck however things turn out.
I'm pretty the ambulance service also does a medical.
I applied but withdrew as I was terrified of having my dreams crushed over and over again.
Helpfulness 1
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Don’t let anyone crush your dreams. There are lots of laws against discrimination that employers must respect. Go and get some careers advice - you sound like someone who is capable of putting your past behind you and moving forward. Go for it x
Drewski
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Helpfulness 1)
There are lots of laws against discrimination that employers must respect.
And the armed forces are exempted from a lot of those laws.
X
Back
to top

How are you feeling about your results?

They're better than I expected (118)
40.69%
They're exactly what I expected (69)
23.79%
They're lower than I expected (103)
35.52%

Watched Threads