Edinburgh or St. Andrews: I need some persuasion

Watch this thread
MarthePryde
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I anticipate that these two universities will be the two choices I accept offers from once I receive word back from them. I intend to study a degree in psychology. My degree plan is outlined below:

Psychology (40 credits), Philosophy (60 credits) and Linguistics (20 credits) first year; then Psychology (60 credits), Philosophy (40 credits) and Linguistics (20 credits) second year

Psychology (110 credits) third year and Psychology (130 credits) fourth year (St. Andrews)
/
Psychology (100 credits) and Philosophy (20 credits) third year, and Psychology (100 credits) and Philosophy (20 credits) fourth year (Edinburgh)

I very much like the courses offered by both universities and I see equal merits in attending either, a range of factors considered. Therefore I am stuck. I do not know what to do being stuck with a 50/50 decision like this. So I would like some persuasion from you.

Cheers.
alleycat393
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by MarthePryde)
I anticipate that these two universities will be the two choices I accept offers from once I receive word back from them. I intend to study a degree in psychology. My degree plan is outlined below:

Psychology (40 credits), Philosophy (60 credits) and Linguistics (20 credits) first year; then Psychology (60 credits), Philosophy (40 credits) and Linguistics (20 credits) second year

Psychology (110 credits) third year and Psychology (130 credits) fourth year (St. Andrews)
/
Psychology (100 credits) and Philosophy (20 credits) third year, and Psychology (100 credits) and Philosophy (20 credits) fourth year (Edinburgh)

I very much like the courses offered by both universities and I see equal merits in attending either, a range of factors considered. Therefore I am stuck. I do not know what to do being stuck with a 50/50 decision like this. So I would like some persuasion from you.

Cheers.
I do love people who need to be persuaded into making decisions that will affect the rest of their lives by strangers on the internet!

How do the two compare and what are these factors that you have weighed up for both?
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
I think the biggest difference (since you've looked at the courses yourself) is the cities themselves. Edinburgh is a bustling, huge city, whereas St Andrews is a tiny town in Fife. St Andrews is much smaller and you'll always see familiar faces (and get to know your lecturers), whereas Edinburgh is huge and you'll have a lot more opportunity to meet people. Edinburgh is more of a party uni (though it isn't really a party uni, anything is compared to St Andrews) while St Andrews is the exact opposite of a party uni. Really, it just depends on whether you prefer the small town or big city lifestyle - that's the defining difference between these two universities.

And don't take it from people here - make sure you visit both places yourself! That's the best way to get a feel for the lifestyle in those cities, and whether you feel like you'd fit in.
MarthePryde
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by 430)
I think the biggest difference (since you've looked at the courses yourself) is the cities themselves. Edinburgh is a bustling, huge city, whereas St Andrews is a tiny town in Fife. St Andrews is much smaller and you'll always see familiar faces (and get to know your lecturers), whereas Edinburgh is huge and you'll have a lot more opportunity to meet people. Edinburgh is more of a party uni (though it isn't really a party uni, anything is compared to St Andrews) while St Andrews is the exact opposite of a party uni. Really, it just depends on whether you prefer the small town or big city lifestyle - that's the defining difference between these two universities.

And don't take it from people here - make sure you visit both places yourself! That's the best way to get a feel for the lifestyle in those cities, and whether you feel like you'd fit in.
This could end up contributing significantly to my decision.
ageshallnot
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by MarthePryde)
This could end up contributing significantly to my decision.
As identified above, the environment is the biggest difference between them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you done work experience at school/college?

Yes (121)
41.58%
Not yet, but I will soon (54)
18.56%
No (116)
39.86%

Watched Threads