I was born in 1999, am I millennial or generation Z? Watch

This discussion is closed.
BrianMcEgg
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
As the title says. It’s so ill defined I’ve been curious to know for a while now.
Kiritsugu
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by BrianMcEgg)
As the title says. It’s so ill defined I’ve been curious to know for a while now.
The year is quite defined here. http://whatis.techtarget.com/definition/Generation-Z

That article basically says a millennial is before mid 1990. A gen-Z is just someone familiar with new tech.

I don't think the numbers are very important. Why did you want to know?
BrianMcEgg
Rep:
?
(Original post by Kiritsugu)
The year is quite defined here. http://whatis.techtarget.com/definition/Generation-Z

That article basically says a millennial is before mid 1990. A gen-Z is just someone familiar with new tech.

I don't think the numbers are very important. Why did you want to know?
Just curiousity tbh, nothing more
Kiritsugu
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by BrianMcEgg)
Just curiousity tbh, nothing more
I suppose it's a trendy topic. I mean, you put it in the debate section. Still, it's good to be clear so I understand putting your curiosity at ease is why you asked.

I hate when labels are used incredulously, such as those people that say "those damn millennials." Being a gen-Z, there's no way that can be bad. Being good with tech means having more opportunities. I don't see any drawbacks from having that skill alone.

If gen Y was millenial, what's the equivalent for gen Z? I suppose there are loads of millenials that are good with tech, some even better than some born after mid 1990s.
Tsar101
Badges: 15
Report 1 year ago
you are a millennial!
Arima
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
being born at the end of 90s is pretty weird. we're not technically millennials, where technology started properly becoming a big thing in their early adulthood, but we aren't really GenZ, whose childhoods revolve around technology. we're pretty good with technology since we got to grips with it from a young age, but we can still remember a proper childhood without technology, where all the older teens/millennial were getting fancy ipods or maybe even the first smart phone if they were really rich, and we were like 'omg cant wait till im old enough to get a phone'. wouldn't really consider that to be in the same bracket as my 2 yr old nephew who knows how to use an iPad better than my grandad. it's weird.
BrianMcEgg
Rep:
?
(Original post by Kiritsugu)
I suppose it's a trendy topic. I mean, you put it in the debate section. Still, it's good to be clear so I understand putting your curiosity at ease is why you asked.

I hate when labels are used incredulously, such as those people that say "those damn millennials." Being a gen-Z, there's no way that can be bad. Being good with tech means having more opportunities. I don't see any drawbacks from having that skill alone.

If gen Y was millenial, what's the equivalent for gen Z? I suppose there are loads of millenials that are good with tech, some even better than some born after mid 1990s.
Neither, the stereotypes are stupid as hell, especially with how everyone who’s old seems to go on about the technology we’ve grown up with. Perhaps we just are all protective over our childhoods? I think it’s sad how every 13 year old seems to think they have to behave like a grown up nowadays
BrianMcEgg
Rep:
?
(Original post by Arima)
being born at the end of 90s is pretty weird. we're not technically millennials, where technology started properly becoming a big thing in their early adulthood, but we aren't really GenZ, whose childhoods revolve around technology. we're pretty good with technology since we got to grips with it from a young age, but we can still remember a proper childhood without technology, where all the older teens/millennial were getting fancy ipods or maybe even the first smart phone if they were really rich, and we were like 'omg cant wait till im old enough to get a phone'. wouldn't really consider that to be in the same bracket as my 2 yr old nephew who knows how to use an iPad better than my grandad. it's weird.
Have to agree, think us 1993-2001 lot are nearly a generation of our own. At 11 we still had to make our own entertainment as we weren’t allowed on the family pc all the time, but my sister had an iPhone at 11 and she was born in 2003. My first smartphone was a blackberry and I didn’t get it until I was nearly 14
Aleiry
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Exactly! we don't fit anywhere completely xd, so it's would be easier to put us in a independent range of generations. We still feel a nostalgic grasp from the 90's like millennials do, but we still can relate deeply to the era of internet and depression and how this change us all too. We are part of a mentality that is the result of these two generations colliding together, achieving a different prospective of both the sides of the millennium that is truly unique. I fiercely agree that we deserve our own generation with our own characteristics and all these stuff! Any ideas for the name? 😉 maybe some cool name that remind us of something we lived in this "void of transition" that is 1993-2001 range, or something hybrid from the others two generations we share with... idk 😂😂
Last edited by Aleiry; 3 weeks ago
X

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (214)
12.58%
Excited (156)
9.17%
Worried (305)
17.93%
Terrified (379)
22.28%
Meh (164)
9.64%
Confused (37)
2.18%