The Student Room Group

URGENT: What does it mean if a GCSE is International?

I was asked if certain GCSEs of mine were International and I haven't a clue what this means. If you could let me know, that would be great!
It is based on the GCE O-Level and is recognised as being equivalent to the GCSE. The IGCSE was developed by University of Cambridge International Examinations. The examination board Edexcel offers its own version, the Edexcel International GCSE.
Reply 2
Original post by adamantacademic
It is based on the GCE O-Level and is recognised as being equivalent to the GCSE. The IGCSE was developed by University of Cambridge International Examinations. The examination board Edexcel offers its own version, the Edexcel International GCSE.

Thank you so much!
I just did plain straight-forward GCSEs, does that mean that they aren't considered International, then? :smile:
Original post by manzanaz
Thank you so much!
I just did plain straight-forward GCSEs, does that mean that they aren't considered International, then? :smile:

yep, if you did an international one it would be considered an iGCSE and you would know, because the past papers differ
Reply 4
Original post by a-spiringmedic
yep, if you did an international one it would be considered an iGCSE and you would know, because the past papers differ

Thanks! You're a lifesaver!
Original post by manzanaz
I was asked if certain GCSEs of mine were International and I haven't a clue what this means. If you could let me know, that would be great!

international gcse (or iGcse) basically means that its marked against everyone who takes that specific paper everywhere, not just in the UK, and sometimes the papers might have extra content. i think that sometimes igcses are harder than gcses because the grade boundaries tend to be higher but i may be wrong!! For example i do geography and art as just gcses and languages, science and english as an igcse
Reply 6
Cheers! Good luck with all your studies :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest