The Student Room Group

In need of some opinions.

Basically I am 19 yo and in the past I achieved the following Alevels:
English language: C
Spanish: B
Photography : B
AS Media: A
Right now I have to take GCSEs in order to be enrolled at the uni I am applying to in the Netherlands.

I didn't have GCSEs in first place because originally I am Italian but when I moved to the UK I got tnrolled for Alevels as I was 16.
The GCSEs that I'll be taking are:
Religious Studies
English Literature
Geography
Citizenship Studies

Now my question is, do you think that for exapmple Enlish lit will be quite easy for me as I did both AS and Alevels of english lang?
Or do you think any of the GCSE will be hard for me?
Thanks in advance, quite a long question :smile:
Reply 1
Well it depends , english literature and language are similar but they have different elements. For English literature you have a lot to remember as you study novels and poems that you have to write essays on , but i think the gcses will be hard as they're hard for most people due to the amount of knowledge you need, but make sure you revise and study a lot and you should do fine
Original post by annajpg
Basically I am 19 yo and in the past I achieved the following Alevels:
English language: C
Spanish: B
Photography : B
AS Media: A
Right now I have to take GCSEs in order to be enrolled at the uni I am applying to in the Netherlands.

I didn't have GCSEs in first place because originally I am Italian but when I moved to the UK I got tnrolled for Alevels as I was 16.
The GCSEs that I'll be taking are:
Religious Studies
English Literature
Geography
Citizenship Studies

Now my question is, do you think that for exapmple Enlish lit will be quite easy for me as I did both AS and Alevels of english lang?
Or do you think any of the GCSE will be hard for me?
Thanks in advance, quite a long question :smile:

You did well at A-level. GCSEs are not hard by comparison - plus you have more experience now. I suppose Geography, RE and citizenship are factual subjects so they should be pretty easy to do well at. I don't recommend rote memorisation. Really learn and dig into the subject. As for English Literature, that's more of a skill to analyse and write in a supporting style however, depending on the syllabus there'll probably be some poems and literature you'll need to study.

Also, have you actually asked the uni whether they need GCSEs? Is there not a way for them to accept you otherwise?
Reply 3
Original post by Kiritsugu
You did well at A-level. GCSEs are not hard by comparison - plus you have more experience now. I suppose Geography, RE and citizenship are factual subjects so they should be pretty easy to do well at. I don't recommend rote memorisation. Really learn and dig into the subject. As for English Literature, that's more of a skill to analyse and write in a supporting style however, depending on the syllabus there'll probably be some poems and literature you'll need to study.

Also, have you actually asked the uni whether they need GCSEs? Is there not a way for them to accept you otherwise?

Yes I asked but that's what they need. They are so stubborn and annoying. So yeah I already finished both religion books in Christianity and Islam now Im trying to find sources online for citizenship, but is kinda hard I can't find much. I have a book but I don't understand the structure of it, I mean is not giving me informations I guess is only about case studies to analyse.. idk. Do you know any source good for citizenship studies?
My plan for English now is to analise different books like Mice Of Men, Romeo and Juliet, An inspector call etc Which I find on Mr Bruff on youtube + I have the anthology fo the poems. I guess my knowledge from A2 English lang will help me as now I know how to structure an essay where I look at both sides of an argument, develop a conclusion etc so hopefully that wont be much of a struggle.

Thanks for the reply dear!
Original post by annajpg
Yes I asked but that's what they need. They are so stubborn and annoying. So yeah I already finished both religion books in Christianity and Islam now Im trying to find sources online for citizenship, but is kinda hard I can't find much. I have a book but I don't understand the structure of it, I mean is not giving me informations I guess is only about case studies to analyse.. idk. Do you know any source good for citizenship studies?
My plan for English now is to analise different books like Mice Of Men, Romeo and Juliet, An inspector call etc Which I find on Mr Bruff on youtube + I have the anthology fo the poems. I guess my knowledge from A2 English lang will help me as now I know how to structure an essay where I look at both sides of an argument, develop a conclusion etc so hopefully that wont be much of a struggle.

Thanks for the reply dear!

If Citizenship is anything like General Studies, you could probably get a general studies book - there may be a citizenship study guide too.

Quick Reply

Latest