Turn on thread page Beta

Help!!! Scared did i cheat on my gcse mock?? watch

ReputationRep:
    I am rly scared that I accidentally cheated on my gcse chemistry paper 2 (mock) but i'm not sure if it counts. Basically, i know u shld technically use the pearson website for past papers but i have always used dynamic papers and during the christmas when I was revising i did a bunch of past papers including the 2017 past paper for 2017. In heinsight i shld have realised the school may use it for the mock but it was on the website and i didnt think twice about it.

Anyways, my mock ended up being the paper i had already done, so i already knew most of the answers. I am a good student, i have never tried to cheat before and in all honesty i dont think i need to (i have an academic scholarship at my school) and tend to do quite well in tests. I have emailed my teacher about it because i feel bad but it has been 3 hours and he has not replied and i am starting to get worried i will be in big trouble and i am scared they will retract my scholarship!!

Pls help, how severe is this offence, considering it was completely unintentional???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by plizhelpme)
    I am rly scared that I accidentally cheated on my gcse chemistry paper 2 (mock) but i'm not sure if it counts. Basically, i know u shld technically use the pearson website for past papers but i have always used dynamic papers and during the christmas when I was revising i did a bunch of past papers including the 2017 past paper for 2017. In heinsight i shld have realised the school may use it for the mock but it was on the website and i didnt think twice about it.

Anyways, my mock ended up being the paper i had already done, so i already knew most of the answers. I am a good student, i have never tried to cheat before and in all honesty i dont think i need to (i have an academic scholarship at my school) and tend to do quite well in tests. I have emailed my teacher about it because i feel bad but it has been 3 hours and he has not replied and i am starting to get worried i will be in big trouble and i am scared they will retract my scholarship!!

Pls help, how severe is this offence, considering it was completely unintentional???

You didn’t cheat the same thing happened with some of my friends for the maths mocks. You just got lucky, don’t think you should have sent the email though🤷🏾*♀️

ReputationRep:
    Troll?

ReputationRep:

i don't think they will retract your scholarship. TBH, it really isn't a big deal from my point of view. You shouldn't be scared.

ReputationRep:
    ...it's a mock, who cares? If it was a real exam maybe there would be a problem.

ReputationRep:
    Oh my gosh, calm down, take a breather! Firstly, it's a mock. It will make literally no difference to your life whatsoever. Secondly, you didn't do it on purpose, so you didn't cheat.
    So you really didn't need to tell your teacher. But since you did, it just looks like you're not lying since you stepped forward and said something when you could've just said nothing (which uhum most people would definitely do!)

Unless your teacher's completely crazy they won't be mad at you; worst case scenario they make you do a new mock (and idk make up Qs?), otherwise I doubt anything major will happen. Honestly, it's fine, don't worry about it!

ReputationRep:

Although I admire your honesty, I think you could have got away with this and nobody would have been none the wiser! However I think your teachers will like that you emailed them and appreciate your sincerity.

Did the teachers tell you not to visit recent GCSE level papers? If they explicitly told you and you ignored them then that would be naughty, but if they gave no warning (and you didn't cheat the system by learning all the answers, you just did the paper) then I think it is fine. Especially since it sounds like your teachers hold you in high regard and know that you are not a 'cheater'.

So basically, chill!

ReputationRep:

You might be looking at some jail time...

Spoiler:
    Show

Nothing is going to happen. Tbh, your teacher will probably just laugh it off. Don't worry

ReputationRep:
    aw thats so cute

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unnamed User)
    You might be looking at some jail time...

Spoiler:
    Show

Nothing is going to happen. Tbh, your teacher will probably just laugh it off. Don't worry

Hm humour, thanks. But yeah ur probably right i also just think that teachers like to scare u about Rules and Consequences and things its probably not that deep

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by studentials)
    Oh my gosh, calm down, take a breather! Firstly, it's a mock. It will make literally no difference to your life whatsoever. Secondly, you didn't do it on purpose, so you didn't cheat.
    So you really didn't need to tell your teacher. But since you did, it just looks like you're not lying since you stepped forward and said something when you could've just said nothing (which uhum most people would definitely do!)

Unless your teacher's completely crazy they won't be mad at you; worst case scenario they make you do a new mock (and idk make up Qs?), otherwise I doubt anything major will happen. Honestly, it's fine, don't worry about it!
    yeah true true i think i wanna resit it anyways just to see how i can do but thanks i need to stop stressing out hahaha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by man111111)
    i don't think they will retract your scholarship. TBH, it really isn't a big deal from my point of view. You shouldn't be scared.
    Yeah i think i needed to take a step outside my school bubble cos my classmates and teachers big that stuff up so much when it doesnt rly matter

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by frantika)
    Although I admire your honesty, I think you could have got away with this and nobody would have been none the wiser! However I think your teachers will like that you emailed them and appreciate your sincerity.

Did the teachers tell you not to visit recent GCSE level papers? If they explicitly told you and you ignored them then that would be naughty, but if they gave no warning (and you didn't cheat the system by learning all the answers, you just did the paper) then I think it is fine. Especially since it sounds like your teachers hold you in high regard and know that you are not a 'cheater'.

So basically, chill!
    Pretty sure they didnt say anything about that, or about what paper our mock would be so im probably in the clear i just hope they appreciate my honestly or whatever and take pity on me haha!

ReputationRep:
    Well, you messed up your chances huh? Telling your teacher... What kind of impression does that give?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Same thing happened to me in my A-Level mocks. I emailed my teacher asking for the practice papers that weren't available to us, she sent them to me, I did them 2-3 times, and then that was the one we had in our mock. I had practiced so much I knew some of the mark scheme word for word, but I changed my answers and got some wrong on purpose so it wouldn't seem like I cheated. Tbh my teacher must have realised considering she was the one who gave them to me. It was fine, but you didn't have to tell your teacher.

ReputationRep:
    No rules have been broken Past Papers are just revision sources, you were revising and the fact that a paper you have already looked at came up is purely coincidence Unless you were told explicitly NOT to use those papers as revision, you should be in the clear

ReputationRep:
    It’s a mock it doesn’t matter it’s not like it’s the real exam. Also the past papers on the website are there for revision it’s what you’re supposed to do with them although you’re lucky the 2017 paper was available as they are usually on available for teachers to view as they are used for mocks and other stuff. I don’t think it was a wise Idea to email your teacher cause you could have got away with it as they would have been none the wiser.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by username3736142)

You didn't cheat at all, honestly don't worry about it. Plus it's only a mock so seriously don't panic it's chill! Also, about sending the email to your teacher - yes ideally it might have been better had you not but at the end of the day it was just a happy coincidence that you'd done the paper before so your teacher shouldn't be angry at you at all, they should appreciate that you've been honest and actually be glad that you've been doing extra papers in your free time

ReputationRep:
    For real though. I would have never sent that email
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by username3736142)

I really wouldn't worry yo just used different source from the recommended one i'll give you an example I revised in uni from past papers, a number times the same question came up that I'd revised and tested myself on the day before and i mean the exact question you've done nothing wrong and for sure haven't cheated and your teacher hasen't answered because it's non issue she'll tell you not to worry about it tomorrow.

Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.