Cardiff University or Coventry University Watch

dixahum
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I have big dilema. I want to study cybersecurity in uni but I am struggling on which university to choose. In cardiff, I would have to move out to live there but I am planning on getting maintanence loan so it shouldn't be that bad. I would be studying computer science with security. In coventry on the other handI would just travel to it from home (I live in Birmingham) and I would study there Ethical Hacking and Cybersecurity. For both I got the same offers. My question goes to the students that studies those subjects or even anything related to computing in those universities and give me an opinion on them? Thank you
username3079870
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by dixahum)
I have big dilema. I want to study cybersecurity in uni but I am struggling on which university to choose. In cardiff, I would have to move out to live there but I am planning on getting maintanence loan so it shouldn't be that bad. I would be studying computer science with security. In coventry on the other handI would just travel to it from home (I live in Birmingham) and I would study there Ethical Hacking and Cybersecurity. For both I got the same offers. My question goes to the students that studies those subjects or even anything related to computing in those universities and give me an opinion on them? Thank you
Hello,

I posted an answer to a pretty similar question earlier today:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=5153004

I am still slightly wary of any undergrad degree that is 100% Cyber Security. It means you are pigeon holing yourself in to a fairly limited set of careers. A Comp Sci degree + a portion of it dedicated to Cyber Security will give you a much better rounded set of skills and career choices longer term. So that would give Cardiff an advantage.

Can I ask, have you much experience of Cyber Security?
dixahum
Rep:
?
Thanks for the answer! That's exactly what I was thinking. I am really interested in cybersecurity but I don't know if i should do 100% cyber course. I did some stuff in the past like using already written exploits, did few attacks (don't worry, everything was done on virtual machine). I also know programming quite well like python, c++, C# etc but in cardiff theres only one module in year three with security and sounds really generic like encryption and stuff and because I want to be a penetration tester, I feel like I just won't know much about it once I leave cardiff. Any advice on that?

(Original post by jestersnow)
Hello,

I posted an answer to a pretty similar question earlier today:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=5153004

I am still slightly wary of any undergrad degree that is 100% Cyber Security. It means you are pigeon holing yourself in to a fairly limited set of careers. A Comp Sci degree + a portion of it dedicated to Cyber Security will give you a much better rounded set of skills and career choices longer term. So that would give Cardiff an advantage.

Can I ask, have you much experience of Cyber Security?
Devify
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hey, I'm a 2nd year comp sci student at Cardiff university so any questions you have, I can try to answer.

Main thing I have to say about choosing Cardiff is that the university has certain connections with the industry. Cardiff university is in a research partnership with Airbus and have plans to build a shared cybersecurity research center. Each year, the airbus cybersecurity center in Newport takes 2 students from Cardiff university for their placement positions. My boyfriend is actually doing his placement with them right now. They also hire for graduate positions.

Alert Logic is another big security company that often recruits from our university, for placements and graduate positions.
dixahum
Rep:
?
(Original post by Devify)
Hey, I'm a 2nd year comp sci student at Cardiff university so any questions you have, I can try to answer.

Main thing I have to say about choosing Cardiff is that the university has certain connections with the industry. Cardiff university is in a research partnership with Airbus and have plans to build a shared cybersecurity research center. Each year, the airbus cybersecurity center in Newport takes 2 students from Cardiff university for their placement positions. My boyfriend is actually doing his placement with them right now. They also hire for graduate positions.

Alert Logic is another big security company that often recruits from our university, for placements and graduate positions.
Thank you for reply. I've been in cardiff today actually for computer science ucas day and it was really good except the really long walk to accomedations I've got an offer if I choose Cardiff as my firm I will get BBB offer and I can get that in 2 of my subjects but with one (law) first we had teacher that was teaching us literally from the book, now we have another one that literally marked 1 out of 22 questions on the test because "he couldn't be bother", I spoke to admissions and they told me to revise more at home, nothing else.
username3079870
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Thanks for the answer! That's exactly what I was thinking. I am really interested in cybersecurity but I don't know if i should do 100% cyber course. I did some stuff in the past like using already written exploits, did few attacks (don't worry, everything was done on virtual machine). I also know programming quite well like python, c++, C# etc but in cardiff theres only one module in year three with security and sounds really generic like encryption and stuff and because I want to be a penetration tester, I feel like I just won't know much about it once I leave cardiff. Any advice on that?
I'm sorry for the late response. Chances are you won't know much about pen testing regardless of what uni course you do, most uni's only seem to teach security theory with very little practical elements (I did my MSc in Cyber Security). I would actually go with the uni that can get you a placement as a pen tester.

As someone who works in Info Sec, every grad we interview wants to be a pen tester. It's probably the most over subscribed role in Info Sec, so it's going to be a competitive field to get in to.

If you really want to learn Pen Testing though, look at the CREST certification training material.
Devify
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Q
Thank you for reply. I've been in cardiff today actually for computer science ucas day and it was really good except the really long walk to accomedations I've got an offer if I choose Cardiff as my firm I will get BBB offer and I can get that in 2 of my subjects but with one (law) first we had teacher that was teaching us literally from the book, now we have another one that literally marked 1 out of 22 questions on the test because "he couldn't be bother", I spoke to admissions and they told me to revise more at home, nothing else.
It depends where you chose to live in Cardiff for the accomodations. They often show the students the taly accomodations because those are the largest. There are other choices tho.

Liberty houses are around 1.25 miles from the main building. But it's 0.25 miles from heath campus which is good for medicine students. If you want a shorter walk check the different accommodations available on the website. Some are around 0.5 miles away from main campus and if you're a female, girl only halls are just 0.25 miles away

If you go for computer science. Then there's senghennyd barely 5 min walk from the queen's buildings where you would be based.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19
  • University of Derby
    Foundation Open Event Further education
    Wed, 7 Aug '19

Are cats selfish