Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Last year, during AS I slacked off a fair bit and didn't get results I'm particularly proud of, this year, I was determined to change that fact - but after weeks of studying from a textbook, and often with exam questions, I haven't progressed nearly as much as I need to, to get the grades I want at the end of the year, those being A*s or As.

Last year I got:

German: A
    Psychology: B
    Biology: B
    Chemistry: C

What I'd like to know is:
    Firstly - Is it even possible for me to achieve A*s with these results?
    and Secondly - How do I do it?

I get frustrated when I study a lot and then end up failing on actual exams - what are the methods of revision that actually work because I feel I waste a lot of time revising when it's not applicable to the test.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Dreaming is the most effective way

ReputationRep:
    But in all seriousness, yes you can most certainly achieve A* grades but it is all down to how you study (Make sure you study smart, past papers etc..)

There really is no silver bullet you just have to aim for it, work hard and do your best

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Nutter)
    But in all seriousness, yes you can most certainly achieve A* grades but it is all down to how you study (Make sure you study smart, past papers etc..)

There really is no silver bullet you just have to aim for it, work hard and do your best
    Thank you for showing me da wae

ReputationRep:
    I used to do really bad at school until my A-levels! My motivation to learn increased a lot more when I realised how well I could do if i put the work in! It doesn't matter how smart you are or whatever, what matters is the amount of effort you put into the subject! At my AS i came out with an A, Distinction and a C and am now currently sitting on an A* and 2A's. I have recently bought a 'Weekly Calendar' which allows me to write in what I will study each stay and ensures I stay on target! Drawing mindmaps on studycards are the only way i can learn information (the bigger studycards not the tiny ones). I also learn by lots of colour!

Good luck and I believe anyone can attain the grades they want if they're motivated and will put the work in to achieve them!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Becca20000)
    I used to do really bad at school until my A-levels! My motivation to learn increased a lot more when I realised how well I could do if i put the work in! It doesn't matter how smart you are or whatever, what matters is the amount of effort you put into the subject! At my AS i came out with an A, Distinction and a C and am now currently sitting on an A* and 2A's. I have recently bought a 'Weekly Calendar' which allows me to write in what I will study each stay and ensures I stay on target! Drawing mindmaps on studycards are the only way i can learn information (the bigger studycards not the tiny ones). I also learn by lots of colour!

Good luck and I believe anyone can attain the grades they want if they're motivated and will put the work in to achieve them!
    Congrats on that! And thanks, that's nice to hear, I always feel like it's impossible - but to know that it isn't is encouraging

ReputationRep:

I completely agree with you but the fact that you used mindmaps and notecards is studying smart because it works for you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Nutter)
    Haha, you instantly get a rep for that
    Haha thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bantersaur12)
    Last year, during AS I slacked off a fair bit and didn't get results I'm particularly proud of, this year, I was determined to change that fact - but after weeks of studying from a textbook, and often with exam questions, I haven't progressed nearly as much as I need to, to get the grades I want at the end of the year, those being A*s or As.

Last year I got:

German: A
    Psychology: B
    Biology: B
    Chemistry: C

What I'd like to know is:
    Firstly - Is it even possible for me to achieve A*s with these results?
    and Secondly - How do I do it?

I get frustrated when I study a lot and then end up failing on actual exams - what are the methods of revision that actually work because I feel I waste a lot of time revising when it's not applicable to the test.

Thanks
    Start now, small chunks. Consistently revisit content all the time so you don't risk forgetting about a topic and risk losing that precious time you spent revising. Apart from hard work and being consistent, it's about exam technique and brains.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you! The amount of times I've felt like I'd go nowhere in life.... Trust me you aren't alone in feeling this way! But you're right, it is more than possible and I think they're brilliant grades you got considering how difficult doing 4 A-levels can be! But honestly, the moment you believe you can do the work and get the grades you want, you'll start to see a difference!

Congrats on that! And thanks, that's nice to hear, I always feel like it's impossible - but to know that it isn't is encouraging

ReputationRep:
    Using the pomodoro technique really helps keep you focused in 25 min periods. Finding a revision method that works for you for each different subject is also essential. Past papers are great once you’re comfortable with content- khan academy can help a lot with chemistry (also use chemguide) and biology - if you don’t like the style of a particular YouTube guide on a topic you can probably also find another one you’ll like. Lastly there’s a wealth of resources on getrevising.com which are crying out to be utilised

ReputationRep:
    Thank you! The amount of times I've felt like I'd go nowhere in life.... Trust me you aren't alone in feeling this way! But you're right, it is more than possible and I think they're brilliant grades you got considering how difficult doing 4 A-levels can be! But honestly, the moment you believe you can do the work and get the grades you want, you'll start to see a difference!
    Thanks, I definitely feel more encouraged I just have to muster up the self-discipline and keep at it I guess

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HeadHoncho)
    Using the pomodoro technique really helps keep you focused in 25 min periods. Finding a revision method that works for you for each different subject is also essential. Past papers are great once you’re comfortable with content- khan academy can help a lot with chemistry (also use chemguide) and biology - if you don’t like the style of a particular YouTube guide on a topic you can probably also find another one you’ll like. Lastly there’s a wealth of resources on getrevising.com which are crying out to be utilised
    Thanks, I'd heard of the Pomodoro technique but I've never really tried it, I'll have to give it a shot. And thanks for advice on websites

ReputationRep:
    I'm glad you feel more encouraged, I also learnt a lot more tips from this thread so thank you starting it haha! Just remember the more work you put in, the less time you'll spend over summer wondering if you 'could've done better'. Your aim for all A*s shows you know you're more than capable of achieving this, setting goals for myself is what has gotten me this far...
    I know how frustrating it can be when your grades don't show your full potential! I'd be happy to hear about how you're doing and if there's anything else I can help with.
    Take care and all the best in your studies!

Thanks, I definitely feel more encouraged I just have to muster up the self-discipline and keep at it I guess

ReputationRep:
    Fold a piece of A4 paper, then fold it again. Of each quarter fill in notes for each subtopic with colours etc. Then you can keep it in your pocket and look back at it whenever you want. Whether it be on a walk, after college or even at a nightclub (Lots of people do this). Just make notes now and keep learning until they’re in your head. Practise with exam questions and I promise you’ll do great. Good luck bro
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

University open days

• University of East Anglia (UEA)
    Could you inspire the next generation? Find out more about becoming a Secondary teacher with UEA… Postgraduate
    Thu, 18 Oct '18
  • University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • University of Sheffield
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.