The Student Room Group

What 6th form should I go to?

Okay so I'm looking for some advice on what 6th form to go to (I start y12 in September 2018) I'm currently at an all boys grammar school (I'll call it school A) and my option is to either stay there or go to the local girls grammar school (School B)

School A isn't a bad school but probably isn't as good as school 2. I really enjoy it there and the teachers for the subjects I'm choosing are great, really friendly and I get on with them really well. Its not a school id choose to leave easily.

On the other hand, school B (girls one) is, overall, slightly better. They're roughly the same distance to home so commuting doesn't matter. The teachers seem great as well, and the atmosphere and staff-student relationship is outstanding. The technology and buildings are more advanced than my current school and the results are also slightly better than my current school. A change of scenery could possibly be good but id definitely miss my current school if I was to leave.

Im really torn as to what to do and I'm looking for some advice, any would be appreciated as I've hit a block.
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:
If you are a boy how will you go to an all girls school???

Original post by jamesdoubtfire
Okay so I'm looking for some advice on what 6th form to go to (I start y12 in September 2018) I'm currently at an all boys grammar school (I'll call it school A) and my option is to either stay there or go to the local girls grammar school (School B)

School A isn't a bad school but probably isn't as good as school 2. I really enjoy it there and the teachers for the subjects I'm choosing are great, really friendly and I get on with them really well. Its not a school id choose to leave easily.

On the other hand, school B (girls one) is, overall, slightly better. They're roughly the same distance to home so commuting doesn't matter. The teachers seem great as well, and the atmosphere and staff-student relationship is outstanding. The technology and buildings are more advanced than my current school and the results are also slightly better than my current school. A change of scenery could possibly be good but id definitely miss my current school if I was to leave.

Im really torn as to what to do and I'm looking for some advice, any would be appreciated as I've hit a block.
Original post by Bill Nye

That thought did cross my mind a well.
Reply 4
I assume it's a single gender high school and a mixed sixth form...

Thing is, with School A, the teachers know you, the school knows you (so you might find it easier to get in, or that was how mine worked). If you underperform on results day, they could say "look, we know you, we know you can do better, so we're going to give you some leeway" plus the teachers already knowing you means they already know what you need to perform best.
BUT
if you genuinely believe School B is better, with superior resources and teachers and results, that's not something to ignore. Like, at all. If you hadn't said that I'd have said A, no contest, but the thing is, you're likely to need those resources and teachers and results.

You need to take a step back and look at it objectively, and think that if you had no personal attachments to A already, what would you choose?
Reply 5
I'm so confused....

Are you male of female?
Reply 6
Original post by C_Yap
I'm so confused....

Are you male of female?

Original post by Emma:-)

Original post by Bill Nye

It sounds like OP is male and going to an all boys school but the boys school has a companion school for girls and both have a mixed gender sixth form attached, which in my experience is pretty common with all-boys/all-girls high schools
Original post by jamesdoubtfire

My advice would be to stay at School A, for the reasons already said by MKBH:

Original post by MKBH
Thing is, with School A, the teachers know you, the school knows you (so you might find it easier to get in, or that was how mine worked). If you underperform on results day, they could say "look, we know you, we know you can do better, so we're going to give you some leeway" plus the teachers already knowing you means they already know what you need to perform best.

But also because it doesn't seem like School B is *that* much better to warrant you moving there. Firstly, the fact that they get slightly better results doesn't directly affect how well you'll necessarily do (for one thing, girls usually outperform boys academically so that could be the main reason for their slightly better results, assuming the sixth form has more girls than boys). It's how hard you work that ultimately determines how well you'll do, and also the fact that you already know all your teachers at School A will make it easier to get help from them, and they'll know you and what your strengths and weaknesses are, which will only be a positive thing for your performance academically. Also, again assuming that the sixth form at School B is girl-dominated, it'll be a huge change of environment for you. I'm a guy and do one of my A-levels at a girls' school with mixed sixth form, and although it's not exactly my school because I'm not there full time, I can tell that it's strange for the handful of other guys in the whole sixth form who are there full time. They have even said to me it's an odd thing to move to and they were at mixed schools during secondary, not all-boys ones. I'm of course not saying that you can't make friends with girls, that's not the problem, it's just that you might feel like an outsider and that won't be great for your sixth-form experience.

Hope that helps :smile:
Original post by Emma:-)

the 6th form section allows boys
Original post by MKBH
It sounds like OP is male and going to an all boys school but the boys school has a companion school for girls and both have a mixed gender sixth form attached, which in my experience is pretty common with all-boys/all-girls high schools

yes that's true, I'm male but the 6th form is mixed
Original post by Amanzhol
My advice would be to stay at School A, for the reasons already said by MKBH:

But also because it doesn't seem like School B is *that* much better to warrant you moving there. Firstly, the fact that they get slightly better results doesn't directly affect how well you'll necessarily do (for one thing, girls usually outperform boys academically so that could be the main reason for their slightly better results, assuming the sixth form has more girls than boys). It's how hard you work that ultimately determines how well you'll do, and also the fact that you already know all your teachers at School A will make it easier to get help from them, and they'll know you and what your strengths and weaknesses are, which will only be a positive thing for your performance academically. Also, again assuming that the sixth form at School B is girl-dominated, it'll be a huge change of environment for you. I'm a guy and do one of my A-levels at a girls' school with mixed sixth form, and although it's not exactly my school because I'm not there full time, I can tell that it's strange for the handful of other guys in the whole sixth form who are there full time. They have even said to me it's an odd thing to move to and they were at mixed schools during secondary, not all-boys ones. I'm of course not saying that you can't make friends with girls, that's not the problem, it's just that you might feel like an outsider and that won't be great for your sixth-form experience.

Hope that helps :smile:

Thank you
Original post by TSR Jessica
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:

Thanks
Basically there’s a similar thing at my area too, two grammar schools near each other. Some people take certain subjects in school A and others in school B

Quick Reply

Latest