La Haine (1995)

Watch this thread
username3688830
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
We're studying this in class for our A2 exam. I fell in love with this film despite my low expectations prior to watching it. Anywho, I want to know your opinions on the film and any analysis?
Thanks!
Bang Outta Order
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by yesimastudent)
We're studying this in class for our A2 exam. I fell in love with this film despite my low expectations prior to watching it. Anywho, I want to know your opinions on the film and any analysis?
Thanks!
I'm studying French so this was recommended as an enjoyable all-French film.

It's the original Kidulthood, if you've seen it.

I like the 90s vibe, but apart from that it's clear French media coins brown Arabs/North Africans (a large demographic of people who speak French in and out of France) as the "middle man" between black African/Caribbean and white, particularly in their country and neighbour countries like Switzerland and Belgium. Where brown Arabs are faced with racism evidently but how dramatic or accurate La Haine is of what has happened to Arabs is beyond what I know, cos I'm not French. But I know they face racism but also enjoy favouritism over blacks. If you notice, their black mate Hubert never was at their houses, only Sayid was at Vinz's house and vice versa. It was intentionally or unintentionally implied that Hubert is their street mate but there's still a racial divide even amongst their own families with being friends. And that divide is emphasised in society. Still, it might show that the director doesn't like this divide and he made Hubert the wisest and strongest of the trio. The director also has kids with a half black actress :perv:.

Clearly the film was centred around Sayid, he's the only one who lived. And as much as I don't want to see it this way, the Jews in France aren't socially accepted, at least not as much as the Catholic whites. I think it would've been just as fitting if Vinz was a working class Catholic French but whatever. I literally just watched the film for the first time this passed December and rewatched it like last week so

As far as how the film was made it would've been dope if it was in colour. But it was enjoyable and funny but not that strongly crafted still. Kind of blah. The acting talent and social themes carried it. The script and style and plot is almost nonexistent. Would've been sick if there was a wee coming-of-age love story in there. But it was a directorial and acting debut.

And you better not copy anything I say on your homework.
username3688830
Rep:
(Original post by Bang Outta Order)
I'm studying French so this was recommended as an enjoyable all-French film.

It's the original Kidulthood, if you've seen it.

I like the 90s vibe, but apart from that it's clear French media coins brown Arabs/North Africans (a large demographic of people who speak French in and out of France) as the "middle man" between black African/Caribbean and white, particularly in their country and neighbour countries like Switzerland and Belgium. Where brown Arabs are faced with racism evidently but how dramatic or accurate La Haine is of what has happened to Arabs is beyond what I know, cos I'm not French. But I know they face racism but also enjoy favouritism over blacks. If you notice, their black mate Hubert never was at their houses, only Sayid was at Vinz's house and vice versa. It was intentionally or unintentionally implied that Hubert is their street mate but there's still a racial divide even amongst their own families with being friends. And that divide is emphasised in society. Still, it might show that the director doesn't like this divide and he made Hubert the wisest and strongest of the trio. The director also has kids with a half black actress :perv:.

Clearly the film was centred around Sayid, he's the only one who lived. And as much as I don't want to see it this way, the Jews in France aren't socially accepted, at least not as much as the Catholic whites. I think it would've been just as fitting if Vinz was a working class Catholic French but whatever. I literally just watched the film for the first time this passed December and rewatched it like last week so

As far as how the film was made it would've been dope if it was in colour. But it was enjoyable and funny but not that strongly crafted still. Kind of blah. The acting talent and social themes carried it. The script and style and plot is almost nonexistent. Would've been sick if there was a wee coming-of-age love story in there. But it was a directorial and acting debut.

And you better not copy anything I say on your homework.
thanks a lot! and don't worry this isn't for homework, more for points to share in class and for me to get a better understanding of the film
username3688830
Rep:
Any other ideas on La Haine?
the bear
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b05rnyz0
Bang Outta Order
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by yesimastudent)
thanks a lot! and don't worry this isn't for homework, more for points to share in class and for me to get a better understanding of the film
if you like this film you'd love the indie debut film the director of it made called Cafe Au Lait/Metisse 1993 https://ok.ru/video/196017720046. It stars Hubert from la Haine and the mother of his children, and himself. :pierre:
username3688830
Rep:
(Original post by Bang Outta Order)
if you like this film you'd love the indie debut film the director of it made called Cafe Au Lait/Metisse 1993 https://ok.ru/video/196017720046. It stars Hubert from la Haine and the mother of his children, and himself. :pierre:
thanks, I'll check it out
charlesbarry07
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
I was studying for first year French (but dropped it) but I really didn’t like La Haine whilst watching it... but when we discussed it in class I really really loved it!

I loved how effective the Bob Marley song was at the start - contrast with the riot.

Also, I feel you can relate to one of the 3 characters which go around, because they’re all quite different.

(Sorry, quite basic analysis, but might be helpful!)

Can anyone explain the cow part and the guy in the toilet - relating to time I think?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (153)
41.02%
The paper was reasonable (168)
45.04%
Not feeling great about that exam... (35)
9.38%
It was TERRIBLE (17)
4.56%

Watched Threads