The Student Room Group
not really. do physios still get an NHS bursary their whole course? then again, they are all unemployed :rolleyes:
Reply 2
well i don't really know about the bursaries cause i'm an irish student so wouldn't get one anyway :smile:

thing is, i'm 25 so would also be applying as a mature student. in my leaving cert i got 585 points (5A1s and a B1), also got first class honours (first in my class both times) in my undergrad and postgrad degrees (english lit).

so my worries are not so much about a-level results etc etc....
Reply 3
yes all uk phsyiotherapy students will get a nhs bursary for the hole of their course
Physiotherapy can be really interesting and at the senior levels...very rewarding financially (analogous to medicine really!). However, physios don't really have that ultimate responsibility for the vast majority of patients that doctors do, which is what put me off. I want to be an advocate for these people in the fight against ill health :smile:
i wasn't just being fecetious though. unemployment levels among newly qualified physios are huge.
bright star
i wasn't just being fecetious though. unemployment levels among newly qualified physios are huge.

The same could be said for the last year's group of medicine graduates judging by press reports. Havig said that, while medicine graduates are having problems finding training positions, physios appear to be showing something of a revival.

Were you also aware of the training scheme for Medicine assistants? Graduates of this scheme will take over first level medicine with the same result as has happened in nursing and physio, ie a lack of jobs for graduates. Maybe those who are currently training to be doctors should be watching their own backs!

See: http://www.medicine.bham.ac.uk/pg/assistant/

The end result will be fewer vacancies for graduates of 'normal' training schemes and more cheaper assistants. Then you will have the ''we must provide a career progression route for assistants' which will involve further study, (while working and being paid!), and eventually the award of a full medical degree! A situation which is already well on its way in physio.

You will find the union will be too keen to get its hands on subscriptions to care about protecting the status of doctors and eventually will find that the assistants will be whining at the national conference about full graduates being given 'assistants jobs', and demanding that the 'assistant job' should be given a protected status so that the full graduates can't take them.

Oh, the irony!
you've got your wires crossed a bit. unemployment on graduation for medics is roughly 0 at the moment. it's applications to training posts to start 2 years later where there were all the issues.

even then, there are jobs available, just not training positions.
bright star
you've got your wires crossed a bit. unemployment on graduation for medics is roughly 0 at the moment. it's applications to training posts to start 2 years later where there were all the issues.

even then, there are jobs available, just not training positions.

Well if someone wants to progress in their career they need the training posts. There are plenty of jobs for qualified physios with a couple of years experience, as well. It is the initial jobs which are in a shortage.

Besides don't you think that the influx of graduates from the new training schemes won't have an effect on the availability of jobs for new medicine graduates? Take a long look at what these people are being trained to do and then compare it with the things that a new medical graduate would be expected to do and then guess what the effect would be.

If you take physio assistants out of the equation there would be no shortage of jobs for newly qualified physios. That's a fact. Is it a coincidence that the shortage of jobs for newly qualified physios comes at a time when cheaper options are available. Has the same thing happened in nursing? You bet your boots it has. The same situation will happen in medicine if the medical profession sleep walks its way into allowing these schemes to train people to do medical tasks on the basis that they are 'only minor tasks'!

How do you define being a doctor? Is it taking a patient from the initial consultation, through treatment and back to full health or is it supervising a team of 'Physician Assistants' doing those things while you sit in an office shuffling paper and financial budgets?
Reply 9
Gosh someone seems defensive....

Latest

Trending

Trending