The Student Room Group

GCSE help

I really want to become a veterinary nurse/veterinary vary assistant but have no A - C GCSEs, I need to retake 5, I'm in the southwest, it's urgent that I find somewhere to do GCSEs, can't spend my life doing some job I have otherwise there's just 0 point in me doing anything, I need help, all my GCSEs are below E level and most places want you to already have D or Es which I don't have but there must be somewhere I can retake them? I just can't find anywhere and need help.
I know that you can retake your GCSEs for free (Math and English at least); but if you’re looking into getting into animal studies (or relative) I’d suggest applying for a college course on a Level 1 course while you redo the GCSES..

If you do well on your retakes you can actually skip level 2 and go straight for a level 3 college course with decent grades (I think you need 5) but you can also approach the college and express your interest and your plans; they’ll be able to help you out
Original post by goodfxrnoth
I know that you can retake your GCSEs for free (Math and English at least); but if you’re looking into getting into animal studies (or relative) I’d suggest applying for a college course on a Level 1 course while you redo the GCSES..

If you do well on your retakes you can actually skip level 2 and go straight for a level 3 college course with decent grades (I think you need 5) but you can also approach the college and express your interest and your plans; they’ll be able to help you out

Exactly I need 5, I have 0 atm. I might just forget about it and and work in shops for the rest of my life. No one will let me do them again as I haven't even got a D or E grade in English and maths.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by JasmineWills
Exactly I need 5, I have 0 atm. I might just forget about it a and work in shops for the rest of my life.

If you don’t skip a level, you can do level 1 to 3 without any other qualification; but having English and Math will be beneficial in the long run.

And then when you get A levels from level 3 you can if you wanted to, apply for university
If you don’t skip a level, you can do level 1 to 3 without any other qualification; but having English and Math will be beneficial in the long run.

And then when you get A levels from level 3 you can if you wanted to, apply for university

Without GCSEs I cannot do any of it!! You need GCSEs to get on to veterinary care assistant courses and there' no chance in hell without 5 GCSEs I will do animal nursing.
Without GCSEs I cannot do any of it!! You need GCSEs to get on to veterinary care assistant courses and there' no chance in hell without 5 GCSEs I will do animal nursing.

You can do animal care entry level with 0 grades, passing that then qualifies you for the next level and so forth; after you get to level 3 and finish the course with decent grades (A Levels) you can continue L4/L5 in college, or apply for university; if you’ve got the animal care qualifications from those levels you will have enough proven experience in your field of interest; and the A levels alone will allow you to get into university (most university’s want grade C in English and Math too, which you can get for free)

It’ll take some grafting, but what you’ve said about “without GCSEs” you cannot do any of it, is untrue... sure you have to start from the bottom... but if you aren’t willing to start from there, do you really want it?
You can do animal care entry level with 0 grades, passing that then qualifies you for the next level and so forth; after you get to level 3 and finish the course with decent grades (A Levels) you can continue L4/L5 in college, or apply for university; if you’ve got the animal care qualifications from those levels you will have enough proven experience in your field of interest; and the A levels alone will allow you to get into university (most university’s want grade C in English and Math too, which you can get for free)

It’ll take some grafting, but what you’ve said about “without GCSEs” you cannot do any of it, is untrue... sure you have to start from the bottom... but if you aren’t willing to start from there, do you really want it?

I completed entry level 3 animal care but they wouldn't let me on to level 1, so I doubt they will this time round either unless I tried again and then after try to get on to animal nursing assisant level 2 then on to animal nursing level 3 but level 3 is 2 years so it's a long time in college if I am even allowed to do this and yes I would start over if I have to, I want this so bad
I completed entry level 3 animal care but they wouldn't let me on to level 1, so I doubt they will this time round either unless I tried again and then after try to get on to animal nursing assisant then on to animal nursing and yes I would start over if I have to, I want this so bad

What grade did you achieve? Pass, Merit or Distinctions?

I’d approach your college and say; these are my long term goals - how can you help me get there.

That seems a little bit backward that they’d allow you to do a entry level 3 but not a level 1 course?
What grade did you achieve? Pass, Merit or Distinctions?

I’d approach your college and say; these are my long term goals - how can you help me get there.

That seems a little bit backward that they’d allow you to do a entry level 3 but not a level 1 course?

Entry level 3 is lower than level 1, I never had the grades to get on to the level 1 course, you didn't need any qualifications for entry level 3 but I passed entry level 3, but they wouldn't let me move on to level 1 cause of my grades

Quick Reply

Latest