The Student Room Group

I need help. What do I do? (Long)

This is going to be quite long sorry.

Recently I have been struggling with my mental health and asked my tutor to refer me to a counsellor. He did so but I didn't manage to see her until Tuesday to discuss my problems.

Meanwhile I have had assignments to do that I couldn't focus on because I was stressed about seeing my counsellor.

When I finally did see her I talked about my issues and how I've been feeling like I don't want to live on and off for the last few weeks because of the stress and anxiety over the college work.

She suggested asking my tutor for an extension for my work but I said he'd probably say no because it's not a good enough reason to not hand in work on time. She insisted that if I'm struggling, then I need to ask for an extension and she offered to ask for me. I took her up on the offer after thinking about it as I knew I couldn't get the work done on time to a good enough standard.

Today my tutor brought up that 'someone' (me) asked for an extension for the class assignment saying that they did it in a sly and underhand way, saying that it was cheeky for them to ask considering the deadline was supposed to be today (Thursday). He said he really wasn't happy about giving an extension but gave one till Monday anyway.

This has made me feel 100 times worse and I really want to apologise to my tutor for asking. But I also want to explain that it's difficult to concentrate on work when you'd rather not be living and that I feel that it's unfair for him to say that I did it in an underhand way. Idk about anyone else but I wouldn't be particularly comfortable telling my tutor to his face that the reason I would need an extension is because I've been feeling like not living on and off.

However, by doing this would I be making the situation worse?

Should I just leave it now I have an extension?

Or should I send something like this as an email to my tutor to explain how I feel?

Thanks for any advice.
Reply 1
normally educators are meant to be understanding to their pupil's needs especially if they are Ill,mentally or physically. How someone like that becomes qualified I don't think I'll understand. You didn't do anything wrong, you didn't feel comfortable asking for an extension so your counselor did it for you. Any normal person would understand that and not make a big deal out of it. What happens from here is up to you. Do you feel that things shouldn't be left as they are right now? If yes then it's best to apologise and explain to your tutor how you felt and why you didn't ask in person. I'd normally say apologising in person is best as it better conveys sincerity however if you do not feel comfortable then it is better to write an email or a letter. If your tutor is treating you unfairly because of this incident I think it is best if you go complain to your parents. Although, the tutor shouldn't have made this a big deal.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending