The Student Room Group

Vet Med - Entry Requirements

I am predicted 3 A's at A level and hopefully it wont be an issue getting those grades, however my GCSE grades are fine for certain unis such as Bristol, Liverpool, Edinburgh ect... but for Surrey and Nottingham they ask for AAB at A level however much higher standard GCSE's, I meet most of the requirements but I have a B in GCSE Maths and Physics, do you think this would come up as a problem? Would they even honestly consider my application, I know its only under by one grade but still I know how competitve vet med can be
If you don't meet the minimum GCSE requirements for a university then don't apply to that one or you are likely to waste a UCAS choice and you only have 4. Best just to stick to the universities where you do meet the requirements. Vet Med is too competitive and you will almost certainly be rejected at the first hurdle.

Original post by georgia216
I am predicted 3 A's at A level and hopefully it wont be an issue getting those grades, however my GCSE grades are fine for certain unis such as Bristol, Liverpool, Edinburgh ect... but for Surrey and Nottingham they ask for AAB at A level however much higher standard GCSE's, I meet most of the requirements but I have a B in GCSE Maths and Physics, do you think this would come up as a problem? Would they even honestly consider my application, I know its only under by one grade but still I know how competitve vet med can be
Original post by georgia216

As above; the grade requirements are one of the first filters they use. They're a requirement, not a suggestion, and there's a chance that they won't even look at the rest of your application if the conditions they specify aren't met. I've heard of graduates getting rejected due to their GCSE grades despite having a perfectly good degree! Sadly they get plenty of applicants and can afford to be picky.

It is possible to resit GCSEs, if you have a particular vet school that you're currently not eligible for, but I would suggest just sticking to the ones whose entry requirements you do currently meet.
You will probably need to resit, I had a B in GSCE physics and when I got my offer it was for the A-level grades and an A in a resit. However, the resit really wasn't that bad at all, the jump from GCSE to A-level is so huge that it seemed a lot easier to get a high grade! You can do it if you're determined enoigh

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending