The Student Room Group

Theory test result sheet

Does anyone check whether you've passed your theory test?
Reply 1
You can’t book a practical test if you haven’t passed it. Also I’m pretty sure you have to take it with you when you do your practical, but they don’t always check it.
Original post by Liamkevink91

IIRC, you get a reference number on your theory test pass certififcate that needs to be entered on your practical test application. Moving this to Learning to Drive.

EDIT: You get a theory pass number when you pass the test which you use to book the practical test, so you can't do the practical without having passed and of course at this instance it is checked that you've passed your theory.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by LRxS
You can’t book a practical test if you haven’t passed it. Also I’m pretty sure you have to take it with you when you do your practical, but they don’t always check it.

Don't have to bring it with you, the reason is one you've already mentioned :P
Reply 4
Original post by nevershear
Don't have to bring it with you, the reason is one you've already mentioned :P

Strictly speaking, you do, but whether you'll be asked to present it is another question.
Reply 5
Original post by Liamkevink91

Yes your driving instructor normally checks before lessons but that's once and the examine on your driving test also checks to make sure you've passed and ready to send off to DVLA
Original post by IWMTom
Strictly speaking, you do, but whether you'll be asked to present it is another question.

Why would you? You need a driving license to do a theory test, you need your theory test certificate to book a driving test, at the driving test you then need to present that driving license again. I'm just curious as to how it's a technical requirement to physically have it on you.
Reply 7
Why would you? You need a driving license to do a theory test, you need your theory test certificate to book a driving test, at the driving test you then need to present that driving license again. I'm just curious as to how it's a technical requirement to physically have it on you.

It does say you’re meant to take it with you. I’m guessing for people who manage to book a test very soon after their theory maybe?
Reply 8

That's just the rules - it doesn't mean you'll be asked to show it, because of the reason you just described. However, there are certain circumstances where tests have been cancelled because the examiner wanted to see the letter. It's always best practice to bring it to your practical test, regardless of whether you'll be asked for it or not.

It's a remnant of time gone by, before the system was computerised to its current state.
Original post by LRxS
It does say you’re meant to take it with you. I’m guessing for people who manage to book a test very soon after their theory maybe?

You get your theory certificate as soon as you finish the test, same as when you pass a practical driving test - the certification is immediate.

@IWMTom (welp it let me tag for once!) - I see. I had mine with me anyway.
Reply 10
You get your theory certificate as soon as you finish the test, same as when you pass a practical driving test - the certification is immediate.

@IWMTom (welp it let me tag for once!) - I see. I had mine with me anyway.

I know that. I have a full driving license.
It doesn’t go on automatically though I don’t think - that’s (presumably) why there’s a box to type in your certificate pass number when booking your test - if you book it half an hour after you’ve passed and manage to get a cancellation for the next day... well, it makes sense you’d be required to take your theory certificate.
Reply 11
Original post by LRxS
I know that. I have a full driving license.
It doesn’t go on automatically though I don’t think - that’s (presumably) why there’s a box to type in your certificate pass number when booking your test - if you book it half an hour after you’ve passed and manage to get a cancellation for the next day... well, it makes sense you’d be required to take your theory certificate.

You do have a good point; the system takes several days to update, so the letter is the only proof you've got. The thing is, the practical system wouldn't let you book it if the system hadn't updated, so I'm not really sure.
Reply 12
Original post by IWMTom
You do have a good point; the system takes several days to update, so the letter is the only proof you've got. The thing is, the practical system wouldn't let you book it if the system hadn't updated, so I'm not really sure.

Hmmmm. Seems needless, but it is requested by at least some centres, if not all!
Reply 13
Original post by LRxS
Hmmmm. Seems needless, but it is requested by at least some centres, if not all!

Indeed, especially by really old and really new examiners who are either stuck in their ways or do everything by the book!
Original post by LRxS

It'll die out soon like the paper counterpart. They'll probably just load it onto your license then and there and say to check if it's done via DVLA License Check gov website in 72 hours.

And sorry I wasn't taking the mick, I thought you were implying you thought theory certs came in the post lol.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending