Can I get braces again at 17 for free?

Watch
Janetjackson44
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Well 2-3 years ago I got braces and I stopped wearing my retainers because I had severe sadness but I never went to the doctors and I really just stopped doing everything except food which I had too much of. And I know it’s silly because it was free and I was insecure about it but I’m 17 now and my family is so poor. I can not afford 1k to get it again. How can I convince them?
Reue
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Janetjackson44)
Well 2-3 years ago I got braces and I stopped wearing my retainers because I had severe sadness but I never went to the doctors and I really just stopped doing everything except food which I had too much of. And I know it’s silly because it was free and I was insecure about it but I’m 17 now and my family is so poor. I can not afford 1k to get it again. How can I convince them?

Are braces available on the NHS?

Orthodontic treatment is only available at no cost on the NHS for young people under the age of 18.

So I'd suggest seeing a dentist sharpish.
Janetjackson44
Rep:
?
(Original post by Reue)
Are braces available on the NHS?

Orthodontic treatment is only available at no cost on the NHS for young people under the age of 18.

So I'd suggest seeing a dentist sharpish.
That’s only if you’ve never had it before. My orthodontist said I’d have to pay to get it again
Reue
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
That’s only if you’ve never had it before. My orthodontist said I’d have to pay to get it again

What if my child is refused NHS braces?

If you think your child is being refused NHS treatment unfairly or the waiting list for treatment is unreasonably long, contact your local area team of NHS England, Health in Wales and NHS Health Scotland.
Tubbz
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
It's still the original condition. Technically if you're still being treated for the same condition, it should stay as NHS treatment.
Janetjackson44
Rep:
?
(Original post by Reue)
What if my child is refused NHS braces?

If you think your child is being refused NHS treatment unfairly or the waiting list for treatment is unreasonably long, contact your local area team of NHS England, Health in Wales and NHS Health Scotland.
(Original post by Tubbz)
It's still the original condition. Technically if you're still being treated for the same condition, it should stay as NHS treatment.
Will they allow me to have it for free even if my birthday is in 6 months? I know braces are usually 2 years so would I have to pay as soon as I hit 18?
LennieBennie
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Will they allow me to have it for free even if my birthday is in 6 months? I know braces are usually 2 years so would I have to pay as soon as I hit 18?
No, I have braces and I just got them three months ago, my birthday is in a few days. I'm seventeen and I won't have to pay
Anonymous #1
Report 2 years ago
it's actually 16 in my area (north east) where you stop getting braces for free. considering you didn't use your retainer as you were supposed to, you should have to pay for braces again as this could have been avoided
Greigr92
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
You would be better off asking them rather than a bunch of forumers , guessing whether you will be aloud or not! Phone them up, ask them, just my advice.
Janetjackson44
Rep:
?
(Original post by LennieBennie)
No, I have braces and I just got them three months ago, my birthday is in a few days. I'm seventeen and I won't have to pay
AH okay. Thanks a lot.
LennieBennie
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
AH okay. Thanks a lot.
no problem x
Janetjackson44
Rep:
?
no problem x
I booked an appointment at another orthodontist for today but they said the waiting list is long . Is there anything I can do that can put me at the top of the list?
LennieBennie
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I booked an appointment at another orthodontist for today but they said the waiting list is long . Is there anything I can do that can put me at the top of the list?
You can tell them that its urgent. Often reeling off health laws etc helps a lot.
Janetjackson44
Rep:
?
You can tell them that its urgent. Often reeling off health laws etc helps a lot.
Ok thanks again. X
emmalawtonx
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
As long as you were under 18 when they referred you it should stay free. I’ve been waiting since I was 15 (Oct 2016) and I’m 17 now and getting them next Monday but even if I’d have had to wait until I was 20 they would still be free because you can’t control the waiting list
username3434964
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
BUT the waiting lists are sooo long anti takes ages to get an appointment, let alone get on the waiting list.

After two years from my first appointment I got braces on Monday, although I did need teeth out
Billsboi
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Any updates?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (54)
16.98%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (91)
28.62%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (119)
37.42%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (43)
13.52%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (11)
3.46%

Watched Threads