Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    How much work experience in a practise is required for someone wanting to study veterinary science?
    I understand that there are requirements for work experience generally but it's hard to find information on how much has to be in a practise.

Thank you!
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by Middlechild123)
    How much work experience in a practise is required for someone wanting to study veterinary science?
    I understand that there are requirements for work experience generally but it's hard to find information on how much has to be in a practise.

Thank you!
    It varies between universities. RVC for example want at least two weeks in practice. I advise you to check out all of their websites for, they're all linked in the Resources Thread for convenience. If it isn't mentioned then that means that there is no formal requirement.

ReputationRep:

Thank you!
    Its more about what you learnt rather than the amount of time spent but i’d say one week is enough to expose you for enough things to talk about in an interview.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    This is not correct as the OP is asking about veterinary medicine.

(Original post by HateOCR)
    Its more about what you learnt rather than the amount of time spent but i’d say one week is enough to expose you for enough things to talk about in an interview.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by animalmagic)
    This is not correct as the OP is asking about veterinary medicine.

Correct me if I’m wrong. You are welcome to make an input yourself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Little Tail Chaser)
    It varies between universities. RVC for example want at least two weeks in practice. I advise you to check out all of their websites for, they're all linked in the Resources Thread for convenience. If it isn't mentioned then that means that there is no formal requirement.
    Ok thank you, also does a week mean 9-5 for 7 days or just a few hours every week for a few weeks?

ReputationRep:
    I have corrected you as I don't want the OP to be misled. I will do a more comprehensive reply when I have time to do so

Correct me if I’m wrong. You are welcome to make an input yourself.
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    PS Reviewer
    Ok thank you, also does a week mean 9-5 for 7 days or just a few hours every week for a few weeks?
    1 week is a 'working week', i.e. 9-5 (or equivalent) for five days, for 40 hours. If you work more than 8 hours per day/40 per week then I wouldn't class this as being more than a day/week of work, though, what I've said is the minimum.

If you have a long term placement (like a day/afternoon per week or something), you can count the days/hours and add it up into weeks.

ReputationRep:
    A day is usually 8 hours although some use 7 hours as they presume an hour is taken for lunch. For Liverpool you have to have done a minimum of 2 days at a placement for it to count and you can only count a maximum of 5 days at any one placement. Each university's requirements are different, you do need to check them all out separately. I have done this for 2018 and will post the full details asap.

• TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    PS Reviewer
    A day is usually 8 hours although some use 7 hours as they presume an hour is taken for lunch. For Liverpool you have to have done a minimum of 2 days at a placement for it to count and you can only count a maximum of 5 days at any one placement. Each university's requirements are different, you do need to check them all out separately. I have done this for 2018 and will post the full details asap.
    Is this the case for all placements now? They used to only count 1 week for exotics/alternative placements but for vet and farm work it was longer; I believe four and six weeks respectively.
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    PS Reviewer
    I agree that it's about savouring the opportunity and learning as much as possible but one week would absolutely not be enough for vet med. I know you mean well but please don't give advice on topics you're uninformed about, it's not helpful.

ReputationRep:
    I agree that it's about savouring the opportunity and learning as much as possible but one week would absolutely not be enough for vet med. I know you mean well but please don't give advice on topics you're uninformed about, it's not helpful.
    Sorry ill shut up now and leave it to professionals like yourself. Good day.

ReputationRep:
    This was certainly the case for all placements for 2018 applicants.

Is this the case for all placements now? They used to only count 1 week for exotics/alternative placements but for vet and farm work it was longer; I believe four and six weeks respectively.
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    PS Reviewer
    This was certainly the case for all placements for 2018 applicants.
    Ah cool, good to know. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Here is my understanding of the minimums for 2018 entrants, please note it many change for 2019 and beyond:

Bristol - 1 week vet and 1 week varied related areas
    Edinburgh - needed but minimum not stated
    Glasgow - 2 weeks vet and 4 weeks animal husbandry incl large animal
    Liverpool - 2 weeks vet and 3 weeks animal husbandry
    RVC - 1 week vet and 2 weeks variety of different animal environments
    Nottingham - 6 weeks with animals
    Surrey - 1 week vet and 3 weeks animal related experience

You will note Cambridge is not included above, I didn't include them in my research.

Thank you!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: January 19, 2018

University open days

1. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  2. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
  3. Birmingham City University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.