sarah_mc
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I'm in year 13 and have applied to study English- my two top choices are UCL and KCL. I'm just worried about the fact a few of my friends- who are already at uni- have said that visitors aren't allowed to stay overnight in their student accommodation.

I can't seem to find a straight answer online that says whether or not visitors are allowed in the accommodation at either of my top choices. I'm from the north east, so I'll be far from home and won't be able to go back as frequently as I'd like to, so the thought of not even being able to invite my friends to stay with me is really unpleasant and would play as a deciding factor in where I decide to go!

Can anyone offer me any guidance on how I find out an answer to this or am i worrying about nothing? Thanks!
BrianMcEgg
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Strongly depends on the accommodation you book, most unis allow overnight visitors, for a maximum amount of days and you normally can’t invite over 2 friends. Most of the contracts require that a) you’re with them at all times b) you accept responsibility for breakages c) you agree with your flatmates beforehand
sarah_mc
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by BrianMcEgg)
Strongly depends on the accommodation you book, most unis allow overnight visitors, for a maximum amount of days and you normally can’t invite over 2 friends. Most of the contracts require that a) you’re with them at all times b) you accept responsibility for breakages c) you agree with your flatmates beforehand
thank you so much!
Jdn0015
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
It really depends on the uni. One of the best things to do is email your university's and just explain your situation. Some university's even have special guest rooms for family.

Hope this helps
username3166894
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
It really depends! All of the accommodations I have been to have no security or reception for this type of thing. There's a lot of independence, trust and it's not strict at all unless you've received complaints from other tenants.
username3162850
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by sarah_mc)
I'm in year 13 and have applied to study English- my two top choices are UCL and KCL. I'm just worried about the fact a few of my friends- who are already at uni- have said that visitors aren't allowed to stay overnight in their student accommodation.

I can't seem to find a straight answer online that says whether or not visitors are allowed in the accommodation at either of my top choices. I'm from the north east, so I'll be far from home and won't be able to go back as frequently as I'd like to, so the thought of not even being able to invite my friends to stay with me is really unpleasant and would play as a deciding factor in where I decide to go!

Can anyone offer me any guidance on how I find out an answer to this or am i worrying about nothing? Thanks!
Hey,

I'm a third year student at Sheffield Hallam, and although i live at home, I've stayed over at my friends flats / accommodations quite a few times after nights out and so on. I've never come across any problems when I've done this, most of the time, their flat mates didn't even know i was there, ha! But yeah, I think the above poster is right, it'll depend on the University and the accommodation block. Just get in contact and ask them about your concerns - sure it'll be fine.

Hope this helps.

Anna
SHUGURU
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by sarah_mc)

In my first year I stayed in halls, and the contract stated that people were allowed to stay over for a maximum of 3 nights, and it had to be agreed with by all the flatmates. This is a pretty decent agreement - but they also never would've known or checked if we had done any different.

It'll be fine as long as your visitors look after your halls, and don't elicit any complaints to your landlord from flatmates or neighbours.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (98)
13.73%
I'm not sure (32)
4.48%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (223)
31.23%
I have already dropped out (17)
2.38%
I'm not a current university student (344)
48.18%

Watched Threads