The Student Room Group

Studying criminology/criminal law?

Anyone studying criminology/ criminal law? What is it like? And would you recommend it?
Criminal law is a module, Criminology is a complete degree with a number of different modules which includes criminal law (at some universities).

I dont do criminology, but criminal law is a great module. Really one of the more engaging ones.
Reply 2
Original post by TSRFT8
Criminal law is a module, Criminology is a complete degree with a number of different modules which includes criminal law (at some universities).

I dont do criminology, but criminal law is a great module. Really one of the more engaging ones.

Okay, thank you!
Criminology. It is not the same as law. It's criminal justice which includes the causes of deviant behaviour, police processes, the court and trial system, the prison system, and the probation service. With some of that you get a small dose of criminal law and human rights, but it is a small dose.

Criminal law. If you do a law degree, you will do criminal law alongside the other big areas: constitutional, contract, land, EU, torts, equity. But a law degree is much wider than criminal law, just as a criminology is. I went into law thinking criminal would be my baby, along with some human rights -- realised in first term I hated it and ended up with an exclusive academic interest in commercial law and its history.
Reply 4
Original post by Notorious_B.I.G.
Criminology. It is not the same as law. It's criminal justice which includes the causes of deviant behaviour, police processes, the court and trial system, the prison system, and the probation service. With some of that you get a small dose of criminal law and human rights, but it is a small dose.

Criminal law. If you do a law degree, you will do criminal law alongside the other big areas: constitutional, contract, land, EU, torts, equity. But a law degree is much wider than criminal law, just as a criminology is. I went into law thinking criminal would be my baby, along with some human rights -- realised in first term I hated it and ended up with an exclusive academic interest in commercial law and its history.

Okay, thank you for sharing! Good luck with your degree.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending