Should I attend another vet med interview when I already hold an offer?

Watch
RenLong
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hello,

I already have a conditional offer to study accelerated vet med at RVC, however I have been invited to interview at Surrey uni for their five-year vet med course.

I'm unsure whether to accept the invitation and attend the interview; is it better to have more that one offer for security?

I'm conflicted. I've always wanted to go to RVC and the course at RVC is a year shorter because I'm already completing a BSc but turning down an interview seems silly and misguided

Any advice would be greatly appreciated
animalmagic
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
If you are very confident that you will achieve your conditions and you know you will choose the accelerated RVC course as your firm choice then probably the Surrey interview is a waste of time. However if you have any doubt about achieving the conditions and if there is any chance that any offer from Surrey would be lower then I would still do it if I were you.

(Original post by RenLong)
Hello,

I already have a conditional offer to study accelerated vet med at RVC, however I have been invited to interview at Surrey uni for their five-year vet med course.

I'm unsure whether to accept the invitation and attend the interview; is it better to have more that one offer for security?

I'm conflicted. I've always wanted to go to RVC and the course at RVC is a year shorter because I'm already completing a BSc but turning down an interview seems silly and misguided

Little Tail Chaser
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hello,

I was personally suggest going, assuming that the time and monetary cost f you attending the Surrey interview isn't too bad.

It's very unlikely that Surrey would give you a lower offer than RVC have so a potential Surrey offer won't offer that much in terms of security, but it's nice to have a backup in the (even apparently unlikely!) event that you change your mind. I swapped my firm and insurance in June of the year I applied If nothing else it's more interview experience, which you can never have enough of.

Good choice with the RVC btw Let me know if you have any questions about studying here!
username2703735
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
As above^! Holding one offer is great until you don't meet the conditions, then having another to potentially fall back on is better than nothing.
Millymollymoo
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Definitely go if you can make the time! Vet school is so much more than just the course, the uni itself really affects how you do and you never know, you might just prefer the feel of Surrey. Well done on your offer!
RenLong
Rep:
?
Thank you all for your response, I actually didn't go in the end - my gut told me not to so I went with that! I'm still happy with my decision so that's reassuring
RenLong
Rep:
?
(Original post by Little Tail Chaser)
I was personally suggest going, assuming that the time and monetary cost f you attending the Surrey interview isn't too bad.

It's very unlikely that Surrey would give you a lower offer than RVC have so a potential Surrey offer won't offer that much in terms of security, but it's nice to have a backup in the (even apparently unlikely!) event that you change your mind. I swapped my firm and insurance in June of the year I applied If nothing else it's more interview experience, which you can never have enough of.

Good choice with the RVC btw Let me know if you have any questions about studying here!
Spoiler:
Show

I am curious about the timetabled teaching hours throughout the years at RVC - could you let me know approx. how many hours and days per week you have lecturers - I am correct in thinking that for grad entry it will be twice the work in first year compared to the 5 year course? :curious: Thank you in advance!

Little Tail Chaser
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Spoiler:
Show

I am curious about the timetabled teaching hours throughout the years at RVC - could you let me know approx. how many hours and days per week you have lecturers - I am correct in thinking that for grad entry it will be twice the work in first year compared to the 5 year course? :curious: Thank you in advance!

Oh my goodness I'm so sorry, I typed up a reply to your PM a couple of days ago but from the looks of it it didn't send. Apologies for ignoring you!

I may as well answer here now publicly in case anyone has the same question. I'm probably not the best person to ask since I did the five year course, but having chatted to the accelerated students that have now joined my cohort in third year, third year is apparently a step down from G&T year in terms of the workload. I don't think it would be accurate to say that the workload is double that of the five year course, as accelerateds miss aspects such as having to do a research project (normally done in second year).

Certainly you will have lectures and other classes every day. You will still get Wednesday afternoons off for sports/societies and lots of G&T students find that they find the time to join in with these

I pulled up the accelerated timetable and from the looks of it the average day includes 2-3 lectures and 1-2 other classes (e.g. group work, dissections, labs, set individual work). Honestly I would say that this is comparable to BVetMed1 & 2, maybe just with a few more practicals per day on average.
RenLong
Rep:
?
Oh my goodness I'm so sorry, I typed up a reply to your PM a couple of days ago but from the looks of it it didn't send. Apologies for ignoring you!

I may as well answer here now publicly in case anyone has the same question. I'm probably not the best person to ask since I did the five year course, but having chatted to the accelerated students that have now joined my cohort in third year, third year is apparently a step down from G&T year in terms of the workload. I don't think it would be accurate to say that the workload is double that of the five year course, as accelerateds miss aspects such as having to do a research project (normally done in second year).

Certainly you will have lectures and other classes every day. You will still get Wednesday afternoons off for sports/societies and lots of G&T students find that they find the time to join in with these

I pulled up the accelerated timetable and from the looks of it the average day includes 2-3 lectures and 1-2 other classes (e.g. group work, dissections, labs, set individual work). Honestly I would say that this is comparable to BVetMed1 & 2, maybe just with a few more practicals per day on average.
Okay thank you! So are we talking 9-5 Mon - Friday (expect Wednesday). The reason I ask is because I’m planning to work whilst studying to help with my fees. Also what does G&T stand for? Grad course?
Little Tail Chaser
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Okay thank you! So are we talking 9-5 Mon - Friday (expect Wednesday). The reason I ask is because I’m planning to work whilst studying to help with my fees. Also what does G&T stand for? Grad course?
Yup, that's right. On very rare occasions you'll start earlier (e.g. on days they cart you up to Hawkshead) or finish later (dissections can be long man ), but it's safe to assume 9-5 every day bar Weds. There will be gaps in the day as well, which might be long enough to do short shifts in if you don't have to travel far.

Working alongside studying is completely possible, especially if you get jobs with 0 hours contracts. The university employ people as student ambassadors to help at open days, careers fairs etc and you can normally do a few shifts per month through that. Other than that pet sitting can be very lucrative, especially at Christmas time. I also know vet students that do bar work, tutoring (GCSE, A level etc), modelling for extra agencies (I use my friend's cameo in EastEnders against her), waitressing etc etc. There are tonnes of options.

G&T = Graduate and transition year. So accelerated yeah
RenLong
Rep:
?
Yup, that's right. On very rare occasions you'll start earlier (e.g. on days they cart you up to Hawkshead) or finish later (dissections can be long man ), but it's safe to assume 9-5 every day bar Weds. There will be gaps in the day as well, which might be long enough to do short shifts in if you don't have to travel far.

Working alongside studying is completely possible, especially if you get jobs with 0 hours contracts. The university employ people as student ambassadors to help at open days, careers fairs etc and you can normally do a few shifts per month through that. Other than that pet sitting can be very lucrative, especially at Christmas time. I also know vet students that do bar work, tutoring (GCSE, A level etc), modelling for extra agencies (I use my friend's cameo in EastEnders against her), waitressing etc etc. There are tonnes of options.

G&T = Graduate and transition year. So accelerated yeah
That’s great thank you so much, I have one more question if you don’t mind (sorry!) When do the terms start and finish, I’m thinking mostly about summer
Little Tail Chaser
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
That’s great thank you so much, I have one more question if you don’t mind (sorry!) When do the terms start and finish, I’m thinking mostly about summer

Varies year on year:

First year and second year is early Oct - late June, with three weeks of at Christmas and five off at Easter. Exams are in June. These are the only years you have a summer vacation.

Third year is mid September - late June, with the same holidays however exams are in May an you will be on placement for the entire summer.

Fourth year starts around the same time as third year. Lectures officially finish in November, then you have pre-rotation lectures until February. After this you're on rotations solidly until the end of fifth year. I think you get two weeks off for Christmas and Easter respectively.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (7)
35%
No - I have already returned home (2)
10%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (6)
30%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (1)
5%
No - I live at home during term anyway (4)
20%

Watched Threads