keitlenchips
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
If I don’t get an A in higher English I’m ****ed. English is my second worst subject and I’m getting a B in it at Nat 5.

If I want to study medicine at Glasgow Uni, I need 5 A’s at higher (I’m planning on taking Biology, Chemistry, Maths, History and probably English since I hate French) but english makes me so stressed. Im fine with the scottish text but it’s the response in critical essays and most close reading papers

any advice

Cheers xxx
cxrwl
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I did higher english, maths, bio, chem and french last year and applied to medicine with 5 As. for me I found higher english a lot more difficult than nat 5 so if you’re predicted a B at nat 5 then perhaps it isn’t the best subject to take. a lot of people who are good at sciences are bad at english so medical schools really don’t care if you don’t take it further than nat 5. the way I ended up with an A is mainly by prewriting a critical essay that my teacher marked 18/20 and then memorising it for the exam. this will only work if you write it in such a way that you can manipulate it slightly to fit many question types. for close reading you just have to familiarise yourself with the marking scheme so you can train your brain to look for the answers that the markers want. it’s definitely what I struggled with a lot but doing this helped me get better at it and will also improve your skills for scottish text. it’s also important that your folios essays are really good as you want to aim for about 25/30. definitely ask your teacher for support though and do lots of practice as that’s the best way to develop your techniques. hope that helps and if you want advice on anything else just ask
keitlenchips
Rep:
?
I would love to take something else but my only other option (since there’s nothing I want to crash in particular) would be higher french but I can’t deal with french.

I had my English prelim on Monday and I found it pretty easy so I’ll see how I did in that. Thank you for your help!
cxrwl
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
yeah I know how you feel in that respect I had to choose between english and physics and had a go at both initially to see which one I wanted to drop. I liked physics more but it proved too difficult so I had to stick with english. I hated it but got through it and it did pay off in the end.

you’re welcome anyways and good luck with your other prelims!
Puppo
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by keitlenchips)
If I don’t get an A in higher English I’m ****ed. English is my second worst subject and I’m getting a B in it at Nat 5.

If I want to study medicine at Glasgow Uni, I need 5 A’s at higher (I’m planning on taking Biology, Chemistry, Maths, History and probably English since I hate French) but english makes me so stressed. Im fine with the scottish text but it’s the response in critical essays and most close reading papers

any advice

Cheers xxx
Yoooo I did those highers. I also applied to med this year haha (5As) and seem to be in the minority of med applicants for whom English is one of their top 2 subjects. I personally find maths harder than English but other people are the opposite. For RUAE I did a few past paper examples - the questions are similar to N5 in difficulty and you get much more time for them. You don't get marks for quotations at higher though and more analysis/detailed answers are expected from you. There is a 5 mark question in higher English which is guaranteed 4-5 marks in the exam once you have the structure down.

For essays I recommend writing quotations and analysis for each. Then memorise these for the exam. The majority of the essay consists of quotations and analysis/evaluation so you have most of the essay in the bag (if you are unsure of your analysis, check with your teacher, assuming they aren't as lazy as mine was). I recommend having an intro, 5 paras and a conclusion - not too long, not too short. If you are really struggling for time, 4 is okay as well but try to aim for 5 (same applies for history).

PS: This isn't about history but if you take it basically memorise 8 essays - 4 from each subtopic - the same ones tend to crop up so you can predict what Q's you are likely to get.
marbbb
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hey if you did take English my advice to you for it is to find yourself a structure that works. From your subject choice it sounds like you are quite science and maths-y which is very like my entire family apart from me haha. Anyway so, because of that you would probably find you do better when you have a set kind of 'formula' for everything from close reading to textual analysis to your essays. I find a lot of people think English is about being as flowery and nonsensical as possible. Well that may work for some but it doesn't for me (and I like english!). For example with textual analysis you're going to want to follow a simple structure of: answer question, make your point, give your evidence. So in your first line re-word the question and answer it, "The author effectively tackles the theme of freedom through their use of symbolism," idfk, then you make your point, "Symbolism in the novel enhances the idea as freedom as a source of corruption by weaving in subtle images that gradually builds in the reader's mind..blah blah blah, expand a little, just make sure you say what you think in relation to your first sentence. Then you put in your evidence, "For example in the scene where Bob sets the bird free from its cage, the bird becomes a symbol of freedom as it blah blah blah," put in your evidence, explain it a little. There's your mark (and if it's wordy enough it'll be two). You can use that in textual analysis and as a point in an essay. Two of those makes a paragraph in an essay and in an essay I would just tag on a wee mini conclusion of a couple of sentences just wrapping up what paragraph was all about.

For essays honestly just write a generalised one where you get down your main paragraphs and what you want to say about quotes, write it until you memorise it and then practise different questions. Each time you write it you'll learn it but you'll also think of new things to say and ways of saying it and your essays will get better and better. Practise makes perfect! I usually have one essay on one text I just adapt to fit questions. You don't want to think of new essays every time.

Close reading: get random articles and just highlight away and take notes. How do you feel about the article? How is the writer making you feel that? Get better at identify the different ways they create effects. It's like in film- sad music, close shots of a face, blue toned lighting- we all know that builds a sad atmosphere. In an article about something sad maybe a writer would use a metaphor that compares the events to something drastic and horrible in nature, making you in your head compare the two. Maybe they use really emotive language- words that really vividly descrivbe the scene for you. Maybe their sentences are short so you feel the punch of this serious, shocking subject. Or they list every heartwrenching, painful detail. Look out for it.

Anyway I spent way too long writing this, hope it helped??
Last edited by marbbb; 2 years ago
keitlenchips
Rep:
?
right i just remembered that I made this thread lol

anyways, I was like straight B’s until after Easter where in my essay for Animal Farm, I added in a line in relation to the Russian Revolution.

Well clearly it was good because my teacher (really strict and mean (to me at least)) gave it 18/20. I felt so happy and continued to write essays in such a manner.

And when results day came around, you should’ve seen my face when I got an A!

So far Higher English is alright, I don’t have my old teacher so I’m hoping for a more enjoyable experience. We’re doing Jekyll and Hyde for our Scottish Text and I already have drafts of both my creative and persuasive.

Thanks to everyone who gave me advice! Very much appreciated!
AzureCeleste
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago

anyways, I was like straight B’s until after Easter where in my essay for Animal Farm, I added in a line in relation to the Russian Revolution.

Well clearly it was good because my teacher (really strict and mean (to me at least)) gave it 18/20. I felt so happy and continued to write essays in such a manner.

So far Higher English is alright, I don’t have my old teacher so I’m hoping for a more enjoyable experience. We’re doing Jekyll and Hyde for our Scottish Text and I already have drafts of both my creative and persuasive.

Just a quick comment.
You are going to be applying to 3 other unis for medicine as well as Glasgow(if you get the A-I hope you do!!). Don't get your heart to set on glasgow as medicine is very competitive and you may get in elsewhere.
keitlenchips
Rep:
?
I forgot to mention that I don’t actually want to do medicine anymore lol oops. Medicine is obviously more biology based than chemistry (and I’m more Chem based)

I want to study chemistry/maths at Glasgow and maybe Leeds.

But thank you for the advice!
Labrador99
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago

Huge well done on the A!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (316)
57.25%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (77)
13.95%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (62)
11.23%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (48)
8.7%
I haven't started researching yet (28)
5.07%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (21)
3.8%

Watched Threads