Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So before I say what a levels I want to do, I’ll show you my predicted grades for my GCSEs.

English Literature-7
    English Language-7
    Maths-6
    Core and additional science-7
    Spanish-6
    Sociology-A/A*
    Childcare-B
    Media-C

I’m thinking of taking:
    English Literature or English Language
    Sociology or Psychology
    Spanish or Biology

I only want to do 3 A levels even tho I’m meant to be doing 4 considering I’m predicted all B’s and above apart from media. I would like to do psychology however I enjoy sociology gcse at the moment. Thankyou
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Hi!

I do maths/english lit/biology and I got A and B in both sciences, and a 8 in English Lit and 6 in maths and I'm loving it. Judging by your grades you could do anything you wanted out of that list! Hope your GCSES go well

ReputationRep:
    I’m in year 13 and I do English language, Spanish and Psychology a-level. I love English language and psychology but I find Spanish so difficult. I don’t want to put you off what so ever because I love being able to speak Spanish, but I just find it so difficult. It takes a lot of work
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Beth286)
    So before I say what a levels I want to do, I’ll show you my predicted grades for my GCSEs.

English Literature-7
    English Language-7
    Maths-6
    Spanish-6
    Sociology-A/A*
    Childcare-B
    Media-C

I’m thinking of taking:
    Sociology or Psychology
    Spanish or Biology

I only want to do 3 A levels even tho I’m meant to be doing 4 considering I’m predicted all B’s and above apart from media. I would like to do psychology however I enjoy sociology gcse at the moment. Thankyou
    The reason some places prefer you to start off with 4 is because if you realise you dont like one of your subjects after you have started it at a-level (which happens more than you might think) or you are doing badly in one, then you have the opportunity to drop one (your least favourite/weakest one), either early on (after the first few days/weeks/months) or after year 12 (if this is still possible, i know it used to be).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danielfrost759)
    Hi!

I do maths/english lit/biology and I got A and B in both sciences, and a 8 in English Lit and 6 in maths and I'm loving it. Judging by your grades you could do anything you wanted out of that list! Hope your GCSES go well
    I’m guessing science is going to be my highest scoring along with sociology as sociology is my talent and it is the first year of the new GCSE science therefore I’m guessing the grade boundaries are going to be amazing. I’m kind of interested in doing Spanish and psychology at uni possibly then either doing a route in psychologist or a Spanish teacher. What are you planning to do after a levels?

ReputationRep:

English Literature-7
    English Language-7
    Maths-6
    Spanish-6
    Sociology-A/A*
    Childcare-B
    Media-C

I’m thinking of taking:
    Sociology or Psychology
    Spanish or Biology

Hey,
    I currently do A level psychology and sociology
    I've got to say I do love psychology so much! It does require a bit of science (not too much though) and a tiny bit of maths in one section, but other than that I'd say psychology is so interesting. Depending on which exam board your sixth form/college will choose, I take AQA so the topics are; social influence, psychopathology, memory, biopsychology, forensic, schizophrenia, etc. And if you enjoy sociology, there are aspects of psychology which cross over with a level sociology, which makes revision that little bit easier
    If you do AQA Sociology at a level, the topics would be; education, family, crime and deviance and an optical topic (mine choice religion).
    Other than that, I don't take Spanish but taking a language might give you an edge...it does look good on a cv.
    I'd say, take topics which have some sort of link, I've found it makes it easier, as I take psychology, sociology and health and social - they cross over a lot. But psychology also crosses over with biology and english (so my friend says.. - I think its language she takes..)

ReputationRep:
    do what you love, don't get influenced by anyone, grave mistake

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emma:-))
    The reason some places prefer you to start off with 4 is because if you realise you dont like one of your subjects after you have started it at a-level (which happens more than you might think) or you are doing badly in one, then you have the opportunity to drop one (your least favourite/weakest one), either early on (after the first few days/weeks/months) or after year 12 (if this is still possible, i know it used to be).
    Thankyou for taking your time to explain that to me!! I’m thinking maybe doing English Lit or Sociology as my 4th option and then doing Spanish psychology and English Language and dropping the one I enjoy the least. Thankyou!!

ReputationRep:
    I personally enjoy english lit way more than language, but its up to you. I think u should defo take spanish, but its up to u whether u want to take psychology or biology

ReputationRep:
    I’m guessing science is going to be my highest scoring along with sociology as sociology is my talent and it is the first year of the new GCSE science therefore I’m guessing the grade boundaries are going to be amazing. I’m kind of interested in doing Spanish and psychology at uni possibly then either doing a route in psychologist or a Spanish teacher. What are you planning to do after a levels?
    No problem. I'm hoping to be either Maths teacher/airline pilot/police officer all a bit random i know aha
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Thankyou for taking your time to explain that to me!! I’m thinking maybe doing English Lit or Sociology as my 4th option and then doing Spanish psychology and English Language and dropping the one I enjoy the least. Thankyou!!
    You could always carry on with 4 if it turned out that you really liked them all and felt you could cope doing all 4 all the way through.
    Its better to start off with 4 though- rather than start off with 3 and be in a mess as you realise you are doing really badly in one or absolutely hate one of them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by minivampire)
    Hey,
    I currently do A level psychology and sociology
    I've got to say I do love psychology so much! It does require a bit of science (not too much though) and a tiny bit of maths in one section, but other than that I'd say psychology is so interesting. Depending on which exam board your sixth form/college will choose, I take AQA so the topics are; social influence, psychopathology, memory, biopsychology, forensic, schizophrenia, etc. And if you enjoy sociology, there are aspects of psychology which cross over with a level sociology, which makes revision that little bit easier
    If you do AQA Sociology at a level, the topics would be; education, family, crime and deviance and an optical topic (mine choice religion).
    Other than that, I don't take Spanish but taking a language might give you an edge...it does look good on a cv.
    I'd say, take topics which have some sort of link, I've found it makes it easier, as I take psychology, sociology and health and social - they cross over a lot. But psychology also crosses over with biology and english (so my friend says.. - I think its language she takes..)
    Yeah so it looks like I’m either taking Psychology, English Language and Spanish, or Spanish, sociology and psychology. Thankyou for your help! How do you find the workload??

ReputationRep:
    You could always carry on with 4 if it turned out that you really liked them all and felt you could cope doing all 4 all the way through.
    Its better to start off with 4 though- rather than start off with 3 and be in a mess as you realise you are doing really badly in one or absolutely hate one of them.
    Yeah I guess that’s true actually, thankyou very much for your help!! What a levels did you do??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danielfrost759)
    No problem. I'm hoping to be either Maths teacher/airline pilot/police officer all a bit random i know aha
    My sister wanted to be a police officer and ended up being a teacher, you will eventually find out what you want to be. Airline pilot sounds amazing!! I would love that but I get abit overwhelmed on planes sometimes
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Yeah I guess that’s true actually, thankyou very much for your help!! What a levels did you do??
    I did sociology georgaphy and ICT. I did maths in year 12 but flopped at it and got a U. I guess i could count genral studies as my 4th a-level. But that was compulsory at our 6th form and hardly required any work. It was also useless.

ReputationRep:
    for Spanish A-Level you get to learn a lot about Spanish and Latin American culture. I live in Madrid and it's actually very good, very legit when talking about the culture. you will also read a book (or two, depending whether you watch a film or not). also speak to your teachers, they are experts and know what will suit you more. i don't know if you can dm people but if you want I can help you with some spanish (i am fluent)

ReputationRep:
    I did sociology georgaphy and ICT. I did maths in year 12 but flopped at it and got a U. I guess i could count genral studies as my 4th a-level. But that was compulsory at our 6th form and hardly required any work. It was also useless.
    How did you find sociology?? Was it boring or is it quite interesting? I do it at gcse and love crime and deviance but just want to fall asleep when we do family and education!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Patpsbl)
    for Spanish A-Level you get to learn a lot about Spanish and Latin American culture. I live in Madrid and it's actually very good, very legit when talking about the culture. you will also read a book (or two, depending whether you watch a film or not). also speak to your teachers, they are experts and know what will suit you more. i don't know if you can dm people but if you want I can help you with some spanish (i am fluent)
    My strong point of Spanish is my writing as I just find it so easy. However listening and speaking is just horrid, and reading is alright. Do you know if writing is the biggest part of Spanish a level or listening??

ReputationRep:

English Literature-7
    English Language-7
    Maths-6
    Spanish-6
    Sociology-A/A*
    Childcare-B
    Media-C

I’m thinking of taking:
    Sociology or Psychology
    Spanish or Biology

I think English literature would be way more interesting and it is also more respected by universities.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah so it looks like I’m either taking Psychology, English Language and Spanish, or Spanish, sociology and psychology. Thankyou for your help! How do you find the workload??
    The workload is actually okay - it isn't TOO much, but you do have;
    Psychology;
    1. Paper 1: Memory, social influence, attachment, psychopathology, research methods.
    2. Paper 2: Biopsyc, approaches, research methods.
    3. Paper 3: Issues and debates + three optical topics, research methods.

It seems like a lot, but it is one of those subjects where once you're taught it - it sticks, you know? You'll be fine with the work load as long as you do the revision and make an effort, but you won't be bombarded and stressed out. And if you do take sociology alongside psychology you will find it easier since there is an overlap, meaning a little less revision.

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.