Watch
This discussion is closed.
DayneD89
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
What is this?/I'm confused
Hi there. If you're confused as to what is going on here then you are probably new to this section of TSR. This is a Model House of Commons, a forum where we emulate the structure of the Real Life House of Commons as an excuse to debate politics.

If you are seeing this and you want to get involved in the debate, please feel free. You do not need to join a party, get approval or join any group to get stuck in right away. If you enjoy it and you do want to join a party then you can do so here. If you have any questions or need any help please message me. I am the current speaker of the house and part of my role involves offering impartial advice to new members so I will always be happy to answer what questions you have. Alternatively, you can read the new members guide to get advice on a wide range of issues.

Note: Please refrain from making comments about how we spend our free time. It is our free time to spend.

B1323 - Sexual Offences Act 2003 (Amendment) Bill 2018, TSR Government

A

BILL

TO

Amend the Sexual Offences Act 2003 to adjust some maximum sentences.

BE IT ENACTED by the Queen's Most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Commons in this present Parliament assembled, in accordance with the provisions of the Parliament Acts 1911 and 1949, and by the authority of the same, as follows:—

1 - Amendment
(1) S7(2)(a) of the Sexual Offences Act 2003, as amended by the Child Sex Offences (Sentences) Act 2017, will be amended from "on conviction on indictment, to imprisonment for a term not exceeding 25 years" to "on conviction on indictment, imprisonment up to and including life imprisonment."
(2) S8(3)(a) of the Sexual Offences Act 2003, as amended by the Child Sex Offences (Sentences) Act 2017 will be amended from "on conviction on indictment, to imprisonment for a term not exceeding 25 years" to "on conviction on indictment, imprisonment up to and including life imprisonment."

2 - Citation and Commencement
(1) This act extends to the whole of the United Kingdom.
(2) This act will come into force upon Royal Assent.
(3) This act may be cited as the Sexual Offences Act 2003 (Amendment) Act 2017.

Notes:
Spoiler:
Show

A bill to start amending sexual offences to bring harsher punishments for sexual offenders as it is accepted within this House that sex offences are some of the worst within society and those who conduct themselves in such an horrendous manner should be punished appropriately.

S7 - Sexual assault of a child under 13
S8 - Causing or inciting a child under 13 to engage in sexual activity

Saracen's Fez
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Going off the descriptions of the crimes given in the notes I can support this.
Saunders16
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Aye; there is no place in society for the worst criminals.
04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I'll be surprised if there's a great amount of debate on this.

I too, shall be supporting.
username1751857
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Aye!
CoffeeAndPolitics
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Aye without question.
username2080673
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Nay. No positive impacts will be felt from this.
WobblyBovine
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Aye, intercourse with a child under 13 is deplorable, and I’m surprised there wasn’t life sentence already.
username2718212
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Conceited)
Nay. No positive impacts will be felt from this.
No positive impact? Is the right honourable gentleman slightly slow or does he really feel that people that commit sex offences against children should be let off lightly?
username2080673
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Vitiate)
No positive impact? Is the right honourable gentleman slightly slow or does he really feel that people that commit sex offences against children should be let off lightly?
I do not recall saying that we should let off people that commit sexual offences against children. Could the Right Honorouble Gentleman point me to where I have said that?
username2718212
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I do not recall saying that we should let off people that commit sexual offences against children. Could the Right Honorouble Gentleman point me to where I have said that?
Then why does the right honourable gentleman not support this? His statement by saying 'no positive impact' infers that you do not support these criminals receiving their just punishment.
Lumos_
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Then why does the right honourable gentleman not support this? His statement by saying 'no positive impact' infers that you do not support these criminals receiving their just punishment.
Breaking news: maybe your version of “just punishment” is different to Conceited
username2080673
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I do not support this because I reckon they are already receiving appropriate punishments. If I am presented with evidence indicating that I am wrong, I would be happy to reconsider my position.
CatusStarbright
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I am also going to (perhaps controversially) vote against this bill. I see twenty-five years as a strong punishment already and would rather see better rehabilitation of sex offenders.
Jammy Duel
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
A month in and the government is already resorting to, IIRC, recycling bills that only took 5 minutes to write in the first place which immediately lead to internal arguments becoming public. What a shambles.
ns_2
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Aye; this bill has my full support - a support that should go without question - the people committing such heinous and downright disgusting crimes should feel the full force of the law.
Tanqueray91
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Definitely, I think there are many crimes which the sentencing can be too lenient, and this is a key area in which it can start.

I do not support this because I reckon they are already receiving appropriate punishments. If I am presented with evidence indicating that I am wrong, I would be happy to reconsider my position.
I think the key here though is that it's changing the maximum sentence... For some people, I agree it may not necessarily be appropriate to have life imprisonment, however, for others, more appropriate to be greater than 25 years. This Bill allows for the judgement to be made without straight away saying it's life imprisonment...
username2080673
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by mobbsy91)
I think the key here though is that it's changing the maximum sentence... For some people, I agree it may not necessarily be appropriate to have life imprisonment, however, for others, more appropriate to be greater than 25 years. This Bill allows for the judgement to be made without straight away saying it's life imprisonment...
You make a salient point here, but I am unconvinced any meaningful changes would be felt from this change.
Tanqueray91
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
You make a salient point here, but I am unconvinced any meaningful changes would be felt from this change.
That's fair enough... I may have a dig around on google and see if there are cases where people have been given 25 years, but from an idea of what happened may have been more appropriate for a longer sentencing.
username1751857
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Jammy Duel)
A month in and the government is already resorting to, IIRC, recycling bills that only took 5 minutes to write in the first place which immediately lead to internal arguments becoming public. What a shambles.
There's nothing wrong with submitting bills again. We have plenty in the sub-forum that weren't from the last term... There's also nothing wrong with people in the government disagreeing with each other - it happens all the time it's nothing new. You're forgetting this is a coalition government...

So I wouldn't exaggerate and start calling it a shambles.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (620)
33.68%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (775)
42.1%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (364)
19.77%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (82)
4.45%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed