The Student Room Group

Channel 4: Jordan Peterson and gender

Scroll to see replies

Original post by DeBruyne18
It's very clear what your tactics are here. Make a totally ridiculous comparison between trans activists and Mao to completely discredit the former and then justify it by making the most tenuous link, before claiming you weren't saying they were actually like Mao.

Mao believed in taxation for public services. I believe in taxation for public services. I guess i'm like Mao? If you zoom out to the extent you are doing, you can find similarities between anything.

I'm absolutely fed up with people on the right or left, who consistently accuse those they disagree with of being like Hitler or being like Mao. Trans activists are not in favour of giving the government power to totally control free speech. That is something you've made up. They want legal protections.

Sighs. You're just not listening at all.

You are free to think my comparison is ridiculous, but you have not given any rational argument against it.

The argument you seem to think is valid is to point out all the differences between Mao and radical left wing activists in the west.

I agree there are those differences. I have agreed with you on all those differences.

However, there is ALSO this similarity. This really can't be that hard to understand...

You've put words in my mouth here too. I agree the radical left wing activists are not asking the government to 'totally' control free speech. However they are asking for compelled speech for collectivist reasons, a form of free speech control never seen before in the west. It's counter to the liberal tradition and comes from a radical left wing collectivist ideology.

Mao also believed in repressing free speech due to that collectivist ideology.

Yes, there are all these differences between Mao and radical left wing activists. Yes, they are not the same.

But there is this similarity.

You clearly can't accept that fact. No amount of dancing around, straw manning or projecting some invented tactics onto my position is going to enable you to do anything except look like you're trying to dodge this fact.

This is getting kinda boring. You're not engaging with my argument and you keep saying things that I've argued against as if I never made the arguments.

If in your next response you don't deal with the fact that there is an ideological similarity between Mao and radical left wing activists that they repress free speech for collectivist reasons then I'm done with this discussion. You can just argue against yourself in your own mind if you're gonna keep inventing straw men to argue against.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
I;m not really that worried about ending up in the Trans gulag. The battles are over whether Trans women should be able to enter all women shortlists in the Labour party. Not over who is going to wield total power in the aftermath of a revolution.

Logic and reasoned debate on Trans issues is serioulsy lacking from a whole lot of those who appose the T in LGBT. Most opponents seem to be unable to understand, or are willfully ignorant of, the difference between biological sex and gender identity. It;s like expecting a black person to be up for arguing with a white supremacist on whether he is really a classified as a human, instead of just going "**** you, I want to be treated like a person and recognised for who I am" and just going about ways to realise that goal instead of debating with bigots.

I suppose there is a bit of a Bolshevik type zero sum game to it all. There is no neutral safe ground, Trans people have some of the highest suicide rates and mental helath problems etc by default. You have to fight if you want to get out of that situation, just like how black people had to fight.

I don't think anyone is saying that transgender people aren't human though. And there is both a logical and reasonable argument to suggest that biological sex and gender identity are not the same thing, are different and are not equal. If they were, then transwomen would simply be called women...

Not that I have anything against people being able to make whichever choices they wish to make. Whether someone identifies and male or female makes no difference to me. But there are issues that need to be addressed, and to be honest, people on both sides of the argument would rather shut down debate than make some serious and necessary concessions.

I think that comparing transgender people to black people is highly problematic though, I would imagine the death rate among slaves would totally eclipse that of transgender people. Also, in the UK at least, transgender people largely have the government on their side, not to mention student unions. Did black people get any of this? No, and even now given how polarised we are, we have half the population of white people in the UK treating black people like they're defenseless victims and the other half who deny that racism exists at all today.

We have one half of the population who believe that trans people are completely the same as cis people, and the other half who think that it's a mental illness. Perhaps the high suicide rates and mental health issues are linked cognitively to transgender people, perhaps it's down to bullying and societal pressures and alienation. Or, what's most likely, is that it's both. Now I am going to brace myself, for I have opened the floodgates.
Original post by Joe312
Sighs. You're just not listening at all.

You are free to think my comparison is ridiculous, but you have not given any rational argument against it.

The argument you seem to think is valid is to point out all the differences between Mao and radical left wing activists in the west.

I agree there are those differences. I have agreed with you on all those differences.

However, there is ALSO this similarity. This really can't be that hard to understand...

You've put words in my mouth here too. I agree the radical left wing activists are not asking the government to 'totally' control free speech. However they are asking for compelled speech for collectivist reasons, a form of free speech control never seen before in the west. It's counter to the liberal tradition and comes from a radical left wing collectivist ideology.

Mao also believed in repressing free speech due to that collectivist ideology.

Yes, there are all these differences between Mao and radical left wing activists. Yes, they are not the same.

But there is this similarity.

You clearly can't accept that fact. No amount of dancing around, straw manning or projecting some invented tactics onto my position is going to enable you to do anything except look like you're trying to dodge this fact.

This is getting kinda boring. You're not engaging with my argument and you keep saying things that I've argued against as if I never made the arguments.

If in your next response you don't deal with the fact that there is an ideological similarity between Mao and radical left wing activists that they repress free speech for collectivist reasons then I'm done with this discussion. You can just argue against yourself in your own mind if you're gonna keep inventing straw men to argue against.

I've dealt with your 'argument' several times.
Your point gets no less ridiculous.

If you try hard enough you can find the most tenuous links between anything. You're trying to discredit trans activists by making an absurd comparison to a brutal dictator.

There's no more similarity between them then there is between Trump and Hitler, or the Daily Mail and Hitler. You consistently try and wiggle out of accepting that.
Original post by Rinsed
A lot of them are saying someone born male can be a woman.

I do not doubt some people, especially religious people, disparage both sexual and gender identities under the catch-all argument that it's not natural or something or other, but that's neither me nor Peterson nor anyone else in this thread that I can see.

People should be free to act as they wish. It's a free country. But the philosophical argument is riddled with contradictions. Honestly, if a man says "I feel like a woman", why are you supposed to treat that as gospel? How does he know what being a woman feels like? If gender is fluid then does "feeling like a woman" even have meaning? I can get the argument that it may be nice to these people to ignore all this and just accept what you're told, but I feel that sets a rather bad precedent about the value of truth.

No, they are not. It's not a philosophical argument.

They are talking about gender, not sex. Again, there's a lot we and science don't know about it. It's a bit strange to tell people that they're lying or that they're wrong when they're telling you how they feel. It would be like telling homosexuals that they aren't really homosexual and they're just making it up. That is what people said a few decades ago.

If someone asks you to refer to them in a certain way for such reasons, as a matter of common courtesy and decency, why not do it? You seem to think that there's this big virtue and moral argument for standing against these people.

Holocaust denial isn't illegal in Britain, exactly because free-speech. It was made illegal in Germany and a couple of other countries in the immediate aftermath of the war which I think we can agree was a special circumstance. "Racism" is also not illegal, per se.

But whatever. These people are acting in a way which shares more than superficial resemblances to the cultural authoritarianism of communist regimes. Plus they have clearly been influenced by left-wing academia, which has long been influenced by Marxists, communist-sympathisers and related philosophies. But maybe you're right and it's just coincidence. I mean, it's not, but whatever.

The race relations act makes it so. If you were to call someone a derogatory term relating to their Jewish identity, you would be committing a criminal offence. That's a restriction on free speech. But I somehow doubt that you would be comparing them to Mao.

There is no 'superficial resemblance'. Mao wanted to kill, suppress and send opponents to gulags. Trans activists want the same legal protections as other minorities. If you zoom out to the extent you are doing, you could find the most tenuous link between anything. It's a slanderous accusation and you know full well that it's purpose is simply to discredit the former by making inferences to a brutal dictator.

You've also invented a link between communism and trans-activists.

It's hard not to accuse you of hypocrisy here. You go mad when/if the left accuse the right of being fascist/like Hitler, yet you have no issue of doing the same to them.

Whatever, if you don't see how kicking people out of their jobs for saying legal, relatively commonplace things is censorious then I don't know what to tell you. Especially when the critisism was obviously politically motivated. I mean, some of the Labour MPs criticising Young hardest have said they stand by Jared O'Mara...

This is exactly what I mean when I say your side has a huge victim mentality. What Toby Young said online, was not 'common place' in the slightest. And there's a clear difference between making comments publicly and privately.

If you are analysing someone's suitability for a role in education, you look far beyond just whether they have done anything illegal. If you behave like an as*hole to the extent that he did, you are not suited for a role in education. It would and has applied to teachers for years.

You say that the criticism was politically motivated but it seems that your defence and opposition is politically motivated.

Would you be happy with someone teaching your kid who consistently posted creepy, obsessive and misogynistic comments online? Of course you wouldn't.

All that shows is people believe in a nonsense theory. It doesn't show that the nonsense phenomenon exists in reality.

I can do that too:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_is_dead
(edited 6 years ago)
Yep, definitely a troll
I've dealt with your 'argument' several times.
Your point gets no less ridiculous.

If you try hard enough you can find the most tenuous links between anything. You're trying to discredit trans activists by making an absurd comparison to a brutal dictator.

There's no more similarity between them then there is between Trump and Hitler, or the Daily Mail and Hitler. You consistently try and wiggle out of accepting that.

I know it seems to you that I'm trying to wiggle out of it, but that's because your ego is too caught up in trying to be right rather than understanding my position. So your ego constantly invents psychological motives which you seem perfectly happy to impute to me as long as it backs up your conclusion. Awkward! lol.

Radical left wing activists and Mao share a similarity in their ideology in that they both believe in the government having the power to repress free speech for collectivist reasons.

You tried to point to a similarity in ideology between Hitler, the Daily Mail, and UKIP regarding immigration. However, as I explained they are all against immigration for very different ideological reasons. So you've failed to point out an ideological comparison between these things. Though rather than actually respond to this argument I made many times, you preferred to just continue stating your belief that such 'tenuous' link are easily made! Well, prove it ! :biggrin:

I 100% agree with you that there are many differences between Mao and radical left wing activists. However, you really seem hell bent on denying that there is any similarity.

When I point out the similarity, you say 'well what about all those differences!!!'

The fact that there are differences does not mean there is no similarity!

I don't think being against free speech for collectivist reasons is a tenuous link at all. It's a very specific and worrying ideological link.

Not good logic my friend! You have not made any rational argument against my position yet.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Joe312
I know it seems to you that I'm trying to wiggle out of it, but that's because your ego is too caught up in trying to be right rather than understanding my position. So your ego constantly invents psychological motives which you seem perfectly happy to impute to me as long as it backs up your conclusion. Awkward! lol.

Radical left wing activists and Mao share a similarity in their ideology in that they both believe in the government having the power to repress free speech for collectivist reasons.

You tried to point to a similarity in ideology between Hitler, the Daily Mail, and UKIP regarding immigration. However, as I explained they are all against immigration for very different ideological reasons. So you've failed to point out an ideological comparison between these things. Though rather than actually respond to this argument I made many times, you preferred to just continue stating your belief that such 'tenuous' link are easily made! Well, prove it ! :biggrin:

I 100% agree with you that there are many differences between Mao and radical left wing activists. However, you really seem hell bent on denying that there is any similarity.

When I point out the similarity, you say 'well what about all those differences!!!'

The fact that there are differences does not mean there is no similarity!

I don't think being against free speech for collectivist reasons is a tenuous link at all. It's a very specific and worrying ideological link.

Not good logic my friend! You have not made any rational argument against my position yet.

You're not arguing on logical grounds.

You keep mentioning 'collectivist' as if it's your trump card. Mao didn't believe in promoting the rights or well being of a group at all. He was a brutal dictator who sought total control over all aspects of peoples' lives and sought to persecute and suppress anyone who opposed him, brutally.

Trans activists are not wanting to suppress your rights. They want legal recognition, in the same way that we have given legal recognition to homsoexuals and different races of people. There just isn't a comparison.

Let's take the Hitler and UKIP example. UKIP are largely opposed to multiculturalism because they believe to an extent that it weakens the bonds of a society. Hitler believed in a much, much more extreme version of that to the point where he wanted people not part of the culture to be killed and persecuted. That is every bit as valid a comparison, if not more so, than yours. Yet you try and wriggle out of it.

Of course it would be stupid to compare UKIP and Hitler because the scale is so so different it negates any valid comparison at all. I don't agree that trans activists and Mao had the same reasons for their actions in the slightest.

Trans activists shouldn't have to argue against people who claim that what they have isn't real, just as homosexuals shouldn't have to argue against people who claim homosexuality isn't real, and black people shouldn't have to argue against white supremacists who claim they should not be equal to white people. Trans activists want the same legal protections as the other groups mentioned. It's not exactly Maoist.

Comparing your opponents to Hitler/Mao is the oldest trick in the book. It's dirty, underhand and dishonest. It's a version of Godwin's law in action.
(edited 6 years ago)

Trans activists shouldn't have to argue against people who claim that what they have isn't real, just as homosexuals shouldn't have to argue against people who claim homosexuality isn't real, and black people shouldn't have to argue against white supremacists who claim they should not be equal to white people. Trans activists want the same legal protections as the other groups mentioned. It's not exactly Maoist.

This sums it up perfectly.

@Rinsed @Lime-man
You're not arguing on logical grounds.

You keep mentioning 'collectivist' as if it's your trump card. Mao didn't believe in promoting the rights or well being of a group at all. He was a brutal dictator who sought total control over all aspects of peoples' lives and sought to persecute and suppress anyone who opposed him, brutally.

Trans activists are not wanting to suppress your rights. They want legal recognition, in the same way that we have given legal recognition to homsoexuals and different races of people. There just isn't a comparison.

Let's take the Hitler and UKIP example. UKIP are largely opposed to multiculturalism because they believe to an extent that it weakens the bonds of a society. Hitler believed in a much, much more extreme version of that to the point where he wanted people not part of the culture to be killed and persecuted. That is every bit as valid a comparison, if not more so, than yours. Yet you try and wriggle out of it.

Of course it would be stupid to compare UKIP and Hitler because the scale is so so different it negates any valid comparison at all. I don't agree that trans activists and Mao had the same reasons for their actions in the slightest.

Comparing your opponents to Hitler/Mao is the oldest trick in the book. It's dirty, underhand and dishonest. It's a version of Godwin's law in action.

The trans activists who want the government to legally control people's free speech for collectivist reasons have that similarity with Mao.

Hitler's anti-multiculturalism was based on ancient nordic blood myths related to racial superiority. As far as I know, UKIP's anti-multiculturalism is 100% about culture and 0% about race. So 0% similar to Hitler.

If you can prove to me that UKIP's views are based on an ideology of racial superiority to some percentage, then I'll agree that to that percentage they are like Hitler. That's what you'll have to prove to make this example work though.

Mao was absolutely collectivist in his ideology. Sure, his communism ended up in the same pit of catastrophe as communism everywhere else in the world has ended up. We should learn from that what such ideology leads to!

Do not give the government the power to compel speech for collectivist reasons, it's a terrible idea! It's a Maoist idea. I still don't see you engaging with this claim or presenting an argument against it!

Do you think the trans activists who want the government to legally control people's free speech for collectivist reasons have that similarity with Mao? Straight answer please!
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
This sums it up perfectly.

@Rinsed @Lime-man

Dude, you literally just ignored every point I made and passed the buck onto someone else who keeps making the same one.

I'm not saying that being transgender is not 'real', I'm saying that it's not the same. Which is true. Blatantly true. Black people aren't the same as white people, growing up with different experiences that shape the way one views the world creates personality changes. Not all white people are the same, and neither are all black people and neither are all transgender people. I'm not the same as neighbour even though we were both born white and male, why would a trans woman be the same as someone who was born a woman? Or a trans man the same as someone born as a man?

This is a discussion that needs to be had because transgender suicide rates are insanely high. Pretending that they are the same as people born with their gender, and crying out against any claim of the opposite as 'offensive' does them a disservice.

I have no problem using preferred pronouns, that's just common decency, and I don't think being trans makes you any less of a person. But pretending that they are the SAME, is a LIE or a MYTH at best. There are differences, but differences aren't bad. They should be acknowledged so that we can work around them and create not only a fairer society, but a more headstrong one.

I've also never called transgender activists maoist.
jp is a legend
Original post by Joe312
The trans activists who want the government to legally control people's free speech for collectivist reasons have that similarity with Mao.

Hitler's anti-multiculturalism was based on ancient nordic blood myths related to racial superiority. As far as I know, UKIP's anti-multiculturalism is 100% about culture and 0% about race. So 0% similar to Hitler.

If you can prove to me that UKIP's views are based on an ideology of racial superiority to some percentage, then I'll agree that to that percentage they are like Hitler. That's what you'll have to prove to make this example work though.

No true scotsman indeed. When it comes to other people's analogies you split hairs, when it comes to yours, you accept it as fact. UKIP's ideology is based very loosely on the want of a homogeneous society. So was Hitler's. That's no less a valid comparison than yours. All i'm doing is zooming out to a ridiculous extent like you do, to find the most tenuous of links.

Hitler believed in a homogeneous society based on race. UKIP believe in a homogenous society based on culture (and partly race). Both believe in homogeneous societies and therefore must be similar right?

Trans activists do not want the government to suppress free speech. Mao wanted to suppress. They want legal recognition and protection. So 0% similar to Mao. Mao didn't want to protect anyone, he wanted to persecute.

Mao was absolutely collectivist in his ideology. Sure, his communism ended up in the same pit of catastrophe as communism everywhere else in the world has ended up. We should learn from that what such ideology leads to!

Do not give the government the power to compel speech for collectivist reasons, it's a terrible idea! It's a Maoist idea. I still don't see you engaging with this claim or presenting an argument against it!

Your entire argument falls down because the basis is built on sand. Trans activists are not suppressing your right to free speech. They are not requiring or giving the government the power to do anything, other than give them the same legal protections that other minority groups have.

Mao was not collectivist (in the actual definition)in the sense that he did not set out to promote, protect or enhance the rights of anyone. He set out to suppress all.

Do you think the trans activists who want the government to legally control people's free speech for collectivist reasons have that similarity with Mao? Straight answer please!

No.

Largely because they are not doing that and they are not seeking protection for collectivist reasons.

Vegetarians don't eat meat because they think it's cruel to animals. Hitler didn't eat meat because he thought it was cruel to animals. So therefore vegetarians must be similar to Hitler?

Feck me, no wonder trans activists can't be bothered debating with people who are trying to claim that what they have isn't real and they are like Mao for seeking legal protections against such people.
(edited 6 years ago)
No true scotsman indeed. When it comes to other people's analogies you split hairs, when it comes to yours, you accept it as fact. UKIP's ideology is based very loosely on the want of a homogeneous society. So was Hitler's. That's no less a valid comparison than yours. All i'm doing is zooming out to a ridiculous extent like you do, to find the most tenuous of links.
This is a bit of a facepalm lol. Any reason I might give, no matter how accurate, to show how the ideology of UKIP and Hitler's are different, you'll respond to with the 'no true scotsman fallacy'! In other words, everything I say is automatically a fallacy because it disagrees with you :P

Trans activists do not want the government to suppress free speech. They do not want to do it to suppress, like Mao did. They want legal recognition and protection. So 0% similar to Mao. Mao didn't want to protect anyone, he wanted to persecute.
So why is it now a law in Canada! Bit awkward that isn't it ! lol.

Your entire argument falls down because the basis is built on sand. Trans activists are not suppressing your right to free speech. They are not requiring or giving the government the power to do anything, other than give them the same legal protections that other minority groups have.

Mao was not collectivist (in the actual definition)in the sense that he did not set out to promote, protect or enhance the rights of anyone. He set out to suppress all.
Well I don't live in Canada otherwise they would be repressing my right to free speech. I certainly don't want a similar law here!

Mao set out to suppress the individual for the sake of the collective. That's collectivism 101.

No.

Largely because they are not doing that and they are not seeking protection for collectivist reasons.

Vegetarians don't eat meat because they think it's cruel to animals. Hitler didn't eat meat because he thought it was cruel to animals. So therefore vegetarians must be similar to Hitler?

Feck me, no wonder trans activists can't be bothered debating with people who are trying to claim that what they have isn't real and they are like Mao for seeking legal protections against such people.

There's no ideological similarity between vegetarians and Hitler so that's a stupid example as you must realise lol!

If trans activists aren't trying to repress free speech, then why is there now a law doing that in Canada! Slightly awkward fact that isn't it! :P
I mean the point about Mao and trans activists he makes is just sheer BS. He does makes some decent points on other topics but when he says stuff like that, he lets out that he is a fruitcake.

If you compare someone or a group to Mao/ a murderous tyrant then you do so knowing the implications. It would be like people comparing Trump to Hitler and justifying it on the basis that they were both opposed to immigration etc. (I called out people on the left who made such a stupid comparison).

If you want to oppose people's arguments then fine but accusing people of being like Mao is sheer idiocy. I'm sure 'trans activists' aren't motivated by 'marxism' nor do they want to kill millions of people.

I'm not a 'critic' of his. This is the first time I've even heard him speak. It would just be good if he didn't feed into the alt right victim mentality and harped on about 'cultural marxism'. His argument about the free market was also pretty weak. Simply because something is the product of the 'free market' does not make it just or fair, nor does it mean we shouldn't seek to change it.

'If you want to oppose people's arguments then fine but accusing people of being like Mao is sheer idiocy. I'm sure 'trans activists' aren't motivated by 'Marxism' nor do they want to kill millions of people. '

I think he made it clear that he didn't expect trans activists to kill millions of people like Mao did all he did was point out that the ideology they follow is identical.
Original post by Joe312
This is a bit of a facepalm lol. Any reason I might give, no matter how accurate, to show how the ideology of UKIP and Hitler's are different, you'll respond to with the 'no true scotsman fallacy'! In other words, everything I say is automatically a fallacy because it disagrees with you :P

Sure UKIP and Hitler are different, but they both wanted to use the government to make society more homogeneous, therefore they are similar, right?

You still don't get it.

Comparing any group (other than one which proposes murder of millions of people or huge suppression) to Mao or Hitler is incredibly stupid.

Comparing trans activists to Mao is beyond stupid, no matter how many times you shout 'collectivism'. Trans activists want to use the law to protect trans people, in the same way that the law protects gay people, Jewish people or black people. Mao wanted to use the law to suppress everyone and imprison them.

The idea that there is any similarity, is madness. And it goes back to my original point, if you zoom out enough you can find utterly tenuous links between anything.

So why is it now a law in Canada! Bit awkward that isn't it ! lol.

The law simply gives them the same legal protections other minority groups have. In many countries, Holocaust denial is illegal. I don;t think that makes Jewish people who pushed for that, 'Maoist'.

Well I don't live in Canada otherwise they would be repressing my right to free speech. I certainly don't want a similar law here!

It does not suppress your right to free speech.
If you made an outwardly racist comment to black people in the UK, you would be charged with a criminal offence. Is the UK like Mao?

Mao set out to suppress the individual for the sake of the collective. That's collectivism 101.

No he didn't. He suppressed the individuals for the sake of himself and his own power.

There's no ideological similarity between vegetarians and Hitler so that's a stupid example as you must realise lol!

Of course there is. They both don't eat animals for the ideological reasons that they think it's cruel. How is that not similar? Therefore by your logic, vegetarians and Hitler must be similar?

If trans activists aren't trying to repress free speech, then why is there now a law doing that in Canada! Slightly awkward fact that isn't it! :P

It doesn't do that. It gives them the same protections as other minority groups.
Original post by Kaffee_1998
'If you want to oppose people's arguments then fine but accusing people of being like Mao is sheer idiocy. I'm sure 'trans activists' aren't motivated by 'Marxism' nor do they want to kill millions of people. '

I think he made it clear that he didn't expect trans activists to kill millions of people like Mao did all he did was point out that the ideology they follow is identical.

Sigh.

No it isn't.

I don't fear ending up in a trans Gulag.

I've already had this debate with four posters arguing that trans activists are like Mao. Can't be dealing with another.
Reply 116
Sounds like White CIS scum to me
Original post by Lime-man
Dude, you literally just ignored every point I made and passed the buck onto someone else who keeps making the same one.

I'm not saying that being transgender is not 'real', I'm saying that it's not the same. Which is true. Blatantly true. Black people aren't the same as white people, growing up with different experiences that shape the way one views the world creates personality changes. Not all white people are the same, and neither are all black people and neither are all transgender people. I'm not the same as neighbour even though we were both born white and male, why would a trans woman be the same as someone who was born a woman? Or a trans man the same as someone born as a man?

This is a discussion that needs to be had because transgender suicide rates are insanely high. Pretending that they are the same as people born with their gender, and crying out against any claim of the opposite as 'offensive' does them a disservice.

I have no problem using preferred pronouns, that's just common decency, and I don't think being trans makes you any less of a person. But pretending that they are the SAME, is a LIE or a MYTH at best. There are differences, but differences aren't bad. They should be acknowledged so that we can work around them and create not only a fairer society, but a more headstrong one.

I've also never called transgender activists maoist.

It's because it's the only point worth making on this issue with reagrds to whether a hostile position needs to be taken against pro trans political organisation.

Everything else can then be done in good faith with the aim of helping trans poeple. But unless you do the first step to alcknoledge the legitamacy of trans organisation you are just an obstacle to making things better for trans poeple.

Two women are not the same, yet both are still women in terms of how they identify with gender. I don't see the problem with letting trans women join the club of woman. It doesn't really matter to me that there are contradictions with feminism and gender. A large part of feminism is about how men and women are actually more similar than gender roles make out and those gender roles are a result of social constructs. In a feminist utopia where gender differences had more or less been iradicated would trans epopel even exist? The existance of trans people calls into question whether gender identity is real, which is why i thin k it rubs up some feminists the wrong way as they dopn;t like the implications. As well as the fear that trans women are just men infiltrating female spaces, which again calls into question the validity of whether gender is purely a social construct.

I don't care though. I just want poeple to be able to exist without being harrassed by opression social constructs. We can have the philiophical debate on what gender is, where it comes from, and how malliable it is. But only when it is being done on humanist grounds with the goal to be helping create happy liberated humans. The moment it takes a reactionary and opressive tone I wont engage with it other than to try and fight and destroy that reactionary goal.
(edited 6 years ago)
Sigh.

No it isn't.

I don't fear ending up in a trans Gulag.

I've already had this debate with four posters arguing that trans activists are like Mao. Can't be dealing with another.

Uh hello do I need to write it in bold next time?

The ideology that they follow is similar but not the people and their aims.

For example both use identity politics. Hardcore Trans Activists seek to use identity politics to spread the narrative that their situation in life is a result of a white men dominated western society that keeps them oppressed.

Likewise Mao used a brand of identity politics as part of his communist revolution (specifically against the landlords).

So you can see that their ideology has a common factor. They both use identity politics and how they use it is similar but that does't mean that trans activists will cause millions of deaths, to say so would be absurd.
Original post by Kaffee_1998
Uh hello do I need to write it in bold next time?

The ideology that they follow is similar but not the people and their aims.

For example both use identity politics. Hardcore Trans Activists seek to use identity politics to spread the narrative that their situation in life is a result of a white men dominated western society that keeps them oppressed.

Likewise Mao used a brand of identity politics as part of his communist revolution (specifically against the landlords).

So you can see that their ideology has a common factor. They both use identity politics and how they use it is similar but that does't mean that trans activists will cause millions of deaths, to say so would be absurd.

They don't follow similar ideologies. If you zoom out enough you can find 'common factors' between any two groups.

Every group of people, on the right and left includes an element of identity politics.

I love how people caricature trans activists as these evil people, rather than as people seeking legal protections and recognition for trans people.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending