Can one be non-white and be proud of the British Empire?

Watch
coa999
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I probably have a number of ancestors who in some way suffered at the hands of the British Empire. to be honest, i don't care.

I believe it's pretty much a fact of life that humans dominate. And in a way it's hypocritial for Africans or Indians to *****. i guess i'm a moral relativist, and domination/racism was the norm back then, and it's not normal or right NOW.

But then didn't the Mughals conquer India? Why was the British conquering them worse? It's how it worked.
ilem
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
How can you be proud or ashamed of something that you had absolutely no part of and that you haven't even seen first hand. The British empire is utterly irrelevant for you and the vast majority of the population, certainly everyone on TSR.
coa999
Rep:
?
(Original post by ilem)
How can you be proud or ashamed of something that you had absolutely no part of and that you haven't even seen first hand. The British empire is utterly irrelevant for you and the vast majority of the population, certainly everyone on TSR.
to me, it's a pretty PC view you're suggesting. It's pretty much the norm for people take pride in their historical/cultural background.
AperfectBalance
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Yes you can be proud, we just did what pretty much everyone wanted to do/did but far better and we were hardly the worst in terms of abuse, the British Empire was a net plus for everyone and is a key part of British culture.
loveleest
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
lol. You are a white English, stop lying.
Nerry
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
sure you can
ilem
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by coa999)

to me, it's a pretty PC view you're suggesting. It's pretty much the norm for people take pride in their historical/cultural background.
What I said applies to everything concerning the past -- I don't think that the British people should feel an iota of guilt about slavery or that contemporary Germans should be ashamed of what previous generations did during WWII etc.
Nerry
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by ilem)
you don't have to be part of something to be proud of it
TryHardNoob
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I'm British and i'm not even proud of the British empire lol
ParkHyungSuk
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I probably have a number of ancestors who in some way suffered at the hands of the British Empire. to be honest, i don't care.

I believe it's pretty much a fact of life that humans dominate. And in a way it's hypocritial for Africans or Indians to *****. i guess i'm a moral relativist, and domination/racism was the norm back then, and it's not normal or right NOW.

But then didn't the Mughals conquer India? Why was the British conquering them worse? It's how it worked.
I mean you're proud about what exactly? That a country that you reside in ****ed over some people (including your own) some time ago? Good job man, I like your critical thinking skills.
Madison Atkinson
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I’m pretty proud of the British empire although my ancestors would probably hate me for this because my ethnic country was under control of the british .However I do feel like it was a great part of British history and shouldn’t be frowned upon.
coa999
Rep:
?
(Original post by ParkHyungSuk)
I mean you're proud about what exactly? That a country that you reside in ****ed over some people (including your own) some time ago? Good job man, I like your critical thinking skills.
As I said, humanity is about dominion. Get over it, PC liberal. If you deny this, then your "critical thinking skills" aren't that strong.
ParkHyungSuk
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
As I said, humanity is about dominion. Get over it, PC liberal. If you deny this, then your "critical thinking skills" aren't that strong.
'PC liberal' lmao if you classify people into these arbitrary and ******ed political leanings based on not agreeing with your opinions, then you are the definition of a snowflake. Wing-nuts like to say that being offended isn't an argument so why use it as one?

And humanity is about dominion wtf? You're nothing more than a collection of cells with no purpose or meaning.
spidle
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
My parents are from Hong Kong, a former British colony. Look at it now, one of the great financial cities of the world with non-censorship and democaracy unlike China.
hannah00
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Mughals conquered India but didnt run it like a colony and basically added it to their existing country, like the england did with Scotland

(Original post by spidle)
My parents are from Hong Kong, a former British colony. Look at it now, one of the great financial cities of the world with non-censorship and democaracy unlike China.
but look how the the rest of china was treated, look up opium wars.
coa999
Rep:
?
'PC liberal' lmao if you classify people into these arbitrary and ******ed political leanings based on not agreeing with your opinions, then you are the definition of a snowflake. Wing-nuts like to say that being offended isn't an argument so why use it as one?

And humanity is about dominion wtf? You're nothing more than a collection of cells with no purpose or meaning.
Because condeminng colonialism is something PC liberals do.

And yes, it is in human nature to dominate. If you disagree,then observe human psychology better. Oh, i;m not offended. why should i be? moaning about empire/colonialism is weak, since it doesn't cover anything. humans like to conquer, and this is observable in everyday life as it is back in a time of different morals.
coa999
Rep:
?
(Original post by hannah00)
Mughals conquered India but didnt run it like a colony and basically added it to their existing country, like the england did with Scotland

but look how the the rest of china was treated, look up opium wars.
Doesn't matter. it was still taking over land. this has happened time and again.
ParkHyungSuk
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Because condemning colonialism is something PC liberals do.

And yes, it is in human nature to dominate. If you disagree,then observe human psychology better.
idgaf what 'PC liberals do' neither do I care what far-right individuals believe/do, I do what I want to do. I don't cling onto these meaningless ideologies like you seem to do. There is nothing to be proud of. YOU have achieved nothing of the sort 'dominate' get over yourself.
MJlover
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
idgaf what 'PC liberals do' neither do I care what far-right individuals believe/do, I do what I want to do. I don't cling onto these meaningless ideologies like you seem to do. There is nothing to be proud of. YOU have achieved nothing of the sort 'dominate' get over yourself.
Great comments tbh. I agree with ur points.
coa999
Rep:
?
your views clearly are PC liberal in form. And what is dominate? an incorrectly used word? lol.

You don't seem to comprehend that humans are aggressive, that's fine. live in your bubble, smart man.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (76)
63.33%
I don't have everything I need (44)
36.67%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed