The Student Room Group

Can one be non-white and be proud of the British Empire?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by coa999
your views clearly are PC liberal in form. And what is dominate? an incorrectly used word? lol.

You don't seem to comprehend that humans are aggressive, that's fine. live in your bubble, smart man.

Humans are aggressive? No, you go outside of your little bubble for a second and take a trip to some war-torn country where you witness real violence being done both to you and before you. Come back to me then 'aggressive' man.
Original post by coa999
I probably have a number of ancestors who in some way suffered at the hands of the British Empire. to be honest, i don't care.

I believe it's pretty much a fact of life that humans dominate. And in a way it's hypocritial for Africans or Indians to *****. i guess i'm a moral relativist, and domination/racism was the norm back then, and it's not normal or right NOW.

But then didn't the Mughals conquer India? Why was the British conquering them worse? It's how it worked.

Of course, ask the Anglo Indians
Its messed up that you think this way.

Your comments seems as if you disregard a critical or objective approach to the Empire. For example, my ancestry has people who enslaved bordering tribes or sold them into slavery. I am not proud of this and am disgusted that some of the prejudice and tribalism has lingered on in my parent's country.

I am 100% from that nation ancestry-wise, but I won't sponsor the regressive attitudes that have oppressed others in 'our' history.

Also lots of the commonwealth did not benefit at all from British intervention. Like so many ex-colonies still deal with the after-effects of Imperialism, others haven't stood to see any benefits from the Empire.
Reply 23
Original post by ParkHyungSuk
Humans are aggressive? No, you go outside of your little bubble for a second and take a trip to some war-torn country where you witness real violence being done both to you and before you. Come back to me then 'aggressive' man.

yes, humans are aggressive.

look, i don't get why you're so angry lol. i just stated that *****ing about colonialism is pretty scant, since humans are aggressive. if you disagree, fine. you claim to be smart, but don't get how to debate, nor accept views outside your immediate bubble.
Original post by coa999
Doesn't matter. it was still taking over land. this has happened time and again.

it literally couldn't be any more different.

taking over land via conquering and then everyone is a citizen of that country, is not the same as 300 years+ of colonisation from 1000kms away with no interest in developing the country

Also Mughals are not exactly celebrated in India, they arnt regarded as founding fathers or wonderful rulers.
Reply 25
Original post by MJlover
Its messed up that you think this way.

Your comments seems as if you disregard a critical or objective approach to the Empire. For example, my ancestry has people who enslaved bordering tribes or sold them into slavery. I am not proud of this and am disgusted that some of the prejudice and tribalism has lingered on in my parent's country.

I am 100% from that nation ancestry-wise, but I won't sponsor the regressive attitudes that have oppressed others in 'our' history.

Also lots of the commonwealth did not benefit at all from British intervention. Like so many ex-colonies still deal with the after-effects of Imperialism, others haven't stood to see any benefits from the Empire.

it's what worked back then. why moan about it now?
If any non-white of British nationality is unsure of being proud of the British Empire then they should know that colonisation meant that their country of ethnic origin is more developed now because of the British Empire. They should be grateful for colonisation and the benefits it gave to people in their country of origin as well as their family and themselves as they have the privilege of living in Britain.
Reply 27
Original post by hannah00
it literally couldn't be any more different.

taking over land via conquering and then everyone is a citizen of that country, is not the same as 300 years+ of colonisation from 1000kms away with no interest in developing the country

Also Mughals are not exactly celebrated in India, they arnt regarded as founding fathers or wonderful rulers.

life is tough. it's how it was/is. again, i don't care about the the Empire. We cannot project our morals onto people back then.
Original post by coa999
yes, humans are aggressive.

look, i don't get why you're so angry lol. i just stated that *****ing about colonialism is pretty scant, since humans are aggressive. if you disagree, fine. you claim to be smart, but don't get how to debate, nor accept views outside your immediate bubble.

I never once claimed to be smart but hey it's not hard to be smarter than a guy who is proud of something he was not a part of and was morally abhorrent. At least if it was of cultural significance to you I could understand but you say your own ancestors were ****ed over in the process?
You can't use the 'bubble' argument when you classify people according to the extent they disagree with you. Keep clinging on to something you had no part of because it's done wonders for you so far.
Reply 29
l
I never once claimed to be smart but hey it's not hard to be smarter than a guy who is proud of something he was not a part of and was morally abhorrent. At least if it was of cultural significance to you I could understand but you say your own ancestors were ****ed over in the process?
You can't use the 'bubble' argument when you classify people according to the extent they disagree with you. Keep clinging on to something you had no part of because it's done wonders for you so far.

Because I live in Britain, and have the experiences/benefits of such. It benefits you too, incidentally....

however, yes, you do claim intelligence. i don't believe you are (by my standard admittedly). I also don't agree that it's wrong to take pride in something one didn't do. Humans are social, and we take part in social memes. To suggest otherwise, is being too PC, hence my labelling of you.... but ok, I haven't condemned your opinion, but you do of mine. lol. ok smart man, i'll leave you.
Original post by coa999
l

Because I live in Britain, and have the experiences/benefits of such. It benefits you too, incidentally....

however, yes, you do claim intelligence. i don't believe you are (by my standard admittedly). I also don't agree that it's wrong to take pride in something one didn't do. Humans are social, and we take part in social memes. To suggest otherwise, is being too PC, hence my labelling of you.... but ok, I haven't condemned your opinion, but you do of mine. lol. ok smart man, i'll leave you.

Definition of proud:
'feeling deep pleasure or satisfaction as a result of one's own achievements, qualities, or possessions or those of someone with whom one is closely associated. '

Ok.
Reply 31
Original post by ilem
What I said applies to everything concerning the past -- I don't think that the British people should feel an iota of guilt about slavery or that contemporary Germans should be ashamed of what previous generations did during WWII etc.

I don't think they should be guilty, but surely no German would be proud of WW2. Similarly, I'd be surprised if any Brit was genuinely proud of their role in the slave trade.
Reply 32
Definition of proud:
'feeling deep pleasure or satisfaction as a result of one's own achievements, qualities, or possessions or those of someone with whom one is closely associated. '

Ok.

and culture is a close association one has. i donn't agree with your atomistic individualism, however your anger is comical. so good day to you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending