The Student Room Group
Chapel, Keele University
Keele University
Keele

Scroll to see replies

@04MR17

I know you are offline but when you return, here's a question for you.
Chapel, Keele University
Keele University
Keele
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by a_m15
What's life and accommodation at Keele univeristy like??
Also, is it v diverse??

Life at Keele is quite a broad topic, are there any specific aspects that you're curious about? :tongue:

Keele has a variety of accommodation styles, from standard rooms with a sink to premier ensuites. Recently two new blocks of ensuite accommodation have been built to extend Barnes Hall. All on campus accommodation is within a 5-10 minute walking distance from the centre of campus, except for Hawthorns which is in Keele village and is a 20 minute walk or short bus ride away. More detailed info is available on the accommodation section of the Keele website.

Keele does have a diverse student population, I often see students from other countries like China, Japan and Africa when walking around campus. In my 6 person flat alone, we have 2 students from China and one from Gibraltar!

I hope that helps :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
Thanks for the tag @MiszShortee786 , though I believe Levi has already done a supreme job of answering this one.:smile:
Original post by Leviathan1741
All on campus accommodation is within a 5-10 minute walking distance from the centre of campus, except for Hawthorns which is in Keele village and is a 20 minute walk or short bus ride away.
I though everyone in Hawthorns has been moved to New Barnes.:curious:
Original post by 04MR17
Thanks for the tag @MiszShortee786 , though I believe Levi has already done a supreme job of answering this one.:smile:

No worries MR. I did think that, though I thought you might still want to comment on the thread. 😁.
04 goes there. Avoid it at all costs.
Original post by a_m15
What's life and accommodation at Keele univeristy like??
Also, is it v diverse??

THIS REVIEW IS MY HONEST OPINION, GIVING POSITIVES AND NEGATIVES

Hey,

Keele is a great uni. From student support to the lecturers. However, I was at Keele for a year and I did not enjoy it at all. I felt very claustrophobic as the campus is small, the community is often described as the 'Keele Bubble'. All the buildings are centred in one place. However, there are vast woodlands and a lake but the weather is rarely good so its difficult to enjoy for most of the year and you rarely find yourself using the woods and the land unless in the summer months (which there is not much of). There isn't much outside the campus either, newcastle under lyme which is the town outside the university, has basic shops and the odd one or two spoons. Hanley another town also doesn't have much either. The night life also isn't great, the Student Union although had a great freshers week and sometimes brings in performers during the year the other times that it is open for 'nights out' it is very repetitive, same music and same atmosphere which was very dull and boring. The few night clubs in Hanley are also very grotty. Fiction one of the clubs in Hanley is disgusting and every time I had been in there was a fight or some sort of trouble. Most of the time it is also hard to also convince people to leave campus to go out, which again makes it very boring. I always used to go home on the weekends as I really hated being on campus. The campus amenities were also sparse, the shop on campus is very expensive and often ran out of stock. To go do shopping you have to go take a bus to go to Tesco in Newcastle. The food on campus also is not the best, although you can get it cheaper using a Keele card it still was far too expensive for the quality of food served. The accommodation, namely Horwood which I was in was very old and disgusting, the new barnes is the only up to date accommodation and some of the refurbished barnes too. Most of the other accommodation options are also very old and inadequate from what I saw when I wanted to switch rooms. Not worth the money at all they are charging. All I want to say is, if you like a good night life and do not like staying in the same place constantly, Keele is not for you.

However, there are good parts to Keele. As mentioned before the staff do care about you, I was helped a lot and the lecturers were very happy to come see me when I needed some help on my work. And they were happy to answer many of my queries thru email too which helped me a lot as I was able to refer back to my emails. The SU also does bring some great performers in which make for some good nights. The SU also puts on Woodstoke and other various balls which are fun too! And Keele is in a good location. Not to far from Manchester or Birmingham on the train, Which you can go for nights out too. Keele are also investing in all new accommodation across the campus. And there is a lot of building work going on at the moment to Enhance the campus, which is fantastic. The woodlands are also beautiful. I used to go for runs during the summer in the woods and also sit by the lake with some friends. The AU nights are also good every Wednesday!

Again university is what you make of it and it also is what you feel comfortable with and like. If you like a campus based community, are not looking for a city life, or are not bothered about the night life and like peace and quiet Keele is the place for you! It wasn't for me sadly, I moved to another university where I could not be happier!
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Conceited
You're getting more and more like a troll every day.:noway:
Original post by 04MR17
You're getting more and more like a troll every day.:noway:

This is what I mean OP
Original post by 04MR17

I think that was because the new Barnes wasn't finished at the time of accommodation applications last year - people had to apply for a split offer of Hawthorns initially followed by new Barnes when construction was finished :smile:
I think that was because the new Barnes wasn't finished at the time of accommodation applications last year - people had to apply for a split offer of Hawthorns initially followed by new Barnes when construction was finished :smile:
Mhm. But my understanding is there's nobody left in Hawthornes now. :redface:
Original post by 04MR17
Mhm. But my understanding is there's nobody left in Hawthornes now. :redface:

Oh, I don't know then :tongue:
Oh, I don't know then :tongue:
Bring on the haunted rumours. :lol:
Reply 14
Life at Keele is quite a broad topic, are there any specific aspects that you're curious about? :tongue:

Keele has a variety of accommodation styles, from standard rooms with a sink to premier ensuites. Recently two new blocks of ensuite accommodation have been built to extend Barnes Hall. All on campus accommodation is within a 5-10 minute walking distance from the centre of campus, except for Hawthorns which is in Keele village and is a 20 minute walk or short bus ride away. More detailed info is available on the accommodation section of the Keele website.

Keele does have a diverse student population, I often see students from other countries like China, Japan and Africa when walking around campus. In my 6 person flat alone, we have 2 students from China and one from Gibraltar!

I hope that helps :smile:

Thank you :smile:
What course do u study ??
Reply 15
Original post by NKSSSSS09
THIS REVIEW IS MY HONEST OPINION, GIVING POSITIVES AND NEGATIVES

Hey,

Keele is a great uni. From student support to the lecturers. However, I was at Keele for a year and I did not enjoy it at all. I felt very claustrophobic as the campus is small, the community is often described as the 'Keele Bubble'. All the buildings are centred in one place. However, there are vast woodlands and a lake but the weather is rarely good so its difficult to enjoy for most of the year and you rarely find yourself using the woods and the land unless in the summer months (which there is not much of). There isn't much outside the campus either, newcastle under lyme which is the town outside the university, has basic shops and the odd one or two spoons. Hanley another town also doesn't have much either. The night life also isn't great, the Student Union although had a great freshers week and sometimes brings in performers during the year the other times that it is open for 'nights out' it is very repetitive, same music and same atmosphere which was very dull and boring. The few night clubs in Hanley are also very grotty. Fiction one of the clubs in Hanley is disgusting and every time I had been in there was a fight or some sort of trouble. Most of the time it is also hard to also convince people to leave campus to go out, which again makes it very boring. I always used to go home on the weekends as I really hated being on campus. The campus amenities were also sparse, the shop on campus is very expensive and often ran out of stock. To go do shopping you have to go take a bus to go to Tesco in Newcastle. The food on campus also is not the best, although you can get it cheaper using a Keele card it still was far too expensive for the quality of food served. The accommodation, Horwood I was in was very old and disgusting, the new barnes is the only up to date accommodation and some of the refurbished barns too. Most of the other accommodation options are also very old and inadequate from what I saw when I wanted to switch rooms. Not worth the money at all. All I want to say is, if you like a good night life and do not like staying in the same place constantly, Keele is not for you.

However, there are good parts to Keele. As mentioned before the staff do care about you, I was helped a lot and the lecturers were very happy to come see me when I needed some help on my work. And they were happy to answer many of my queries thru email too which helped me a lot as I was able to refer back to my emails. The SU also does bring some great performers in which make for some good nights. The SU also puts on Woodstoke and other various balls which are fun too! And Keele is in a good location. Not to far from Manchester or Birmingham on the train, Which you can go for nights out too. Keele are also investing in all new accommodation across the campus. And there is a lot of building work going on at the moment to Enhance the campus, which is fantastic. The woodlands are also beautiful. I used to go for runs during the summer in the woods and also sit by the lake with some friends. The AU nights are also good every Wednesday!

Again university is what you make of it and it also is what you feel comfortable with and like. If you like a campus based community, are not looking for a city life, or are not bothered about the night life and like peace and quiet Keele is the place for you! It wasn't for me sadly, I moved to another university where I could not be happier!

Thank you so much for this :smile:
What uni do u go to now??
Reply 16
Original post by Conceited

Who? 😂
Original post by a_m15
Who? 😂
Me:wavey:

I'm MR:hello:
Original post by a_m15
Thank you :smile:
What course do u study ??

I'm in my second year of BSc Geoscience :h:
Original post by a_m15
Thank you so much for this :smile:
What uni do u go to now??

No problem!! I go to the University of Liverpool now!

Latest