Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Deleted.

ReputationRep:
    Don't do it. There will be a time where you will need savings, and when that time comes you don't want to be with empty pockets.
    Maybe try to save up more and then allow yourself for a nice little holiday,though budget is key.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    How? Low family income?

I'm in favour of people living while young. I'm also in favour of not making stupid financial decisions. If your numbers add up with room to spare, then you could do it. If its at all tight then i would recommend waiting until uni, as there will doubtless be other, better opportunities there.

I'd also be sure to spend it wisely - its possible to blow £2500 in a week, or to make it last 6 months. Make the right decisions.

ReputationRep:
    Do it because this is probably the only time you will get to, and otherwise you will have regrets. Don't worry about money, travelling is the best experience you'll have

ReputationRep:
    yeah don’t blast through it like a mad man budget etc so come back with some money
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    "Blow all my savings" is never a good idea and if you're ever asking the question you should realise that it's a dumb idea.

Going traveling on the other hand is not stupid, but you shouldn't waste through £2500 to do so. You're going to uni in 8 months or so. You have absolutely no idea what could happen between now and then, nor do you know what you'll actually need at uni. That's not just negative, you also don't know what sort of opportunities will show up. I went into my first year with £3000 in savings. Some of that was required to pay for my car insurance but the money left over was sufficient to splash out and try new stuff at uni. For example I started up archery (£75 membership) and purchased my own equipment since I was enjoying it (£300). That was only an option to me because I had my savings. Likewise if I had needed a new laptop or some other expensive purchase I could have easily done that with the safety net that savings afforded me.

And worst case scenario, that's £2500 sat in your savings for when you graduate. That's a bit towards a house deposit, or renting a flat. It's enough money to take driving lessons and buy a car. If you want to travel then set aside some money, say £1000 to do so. But don't waste all of it. Better yet, look for ways to travel on a budget. It's not uncommon to travel on almost no money and look for ways to fund the traveling while you travel.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    **** it man, do it. I hate the acronym but 'YOLO' applies well here.

ReputationRep:
    I would say go for it! Definitely don’t spent all your money but look into one of these organised trips that includes flights and accommodation etc. so you don’t have any unexpected expenses. Now is the best time to travel as during uni it’ll be too expensive and after uni you’ll be working full time! I’d say if you spent £1000 on maybe a 4 week trip you’d still have £1500 left over plus plenty of time between school and uni to make more money. I know if I were you I’d do it in a heartbeat.

ReputationRep:
    Make sure you've left some leeway in case you've underestimated your expenses during uni.

I wouldn't in general worry too much about 'wasting' money on a valuable experience if you're actually sure you can afford it, but the fact that you've said you're getting money for having a 'poor family' suggests to me that you don't have much of a safety net to fall back on if you ever get into difficulty. In those circumstances I'd err towards keeping a decent level of savings in the bank at all times.

Even then, if your university funding leaves you with a significant surplus to put into savings, I'd do it. You're unlikely to get chance later in life.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Examples?

ReputationRep:
    You could totally spend some on travel, but I don’t think spending all of it is the right idea.

ReputationRep:
    You could spend some of it on travel, but if you're careful and budget well, you could get a great trip on much less than £2500. That would leave you will some spare/emergency funds for when you go to uni.

It sounds like you've worked out your finances to some extent, and as are planning to work part-time, you should have enough to manage on at uni.

You could wait until after uni to travel - but why not do both! A lot of people travel afterwards, or get a job a abroad for a while after graduating.

Just make sure you always keep some reserve set aside (preferably in an account that pays decent interest), and keep adding to it if you can.

So in short - if you spend some of your savings on travel, you're not blowing any of it - just using it in a worthwhile way!

ReputationRep:
    If you're sure there's nothing you'll need at uni financially, then go for it. If you've had travelling on your mind, it'll always nag you until you actually go, trust me.

I embarked on an 8 month trip in September around Asia. After a month in India I realised I hated it and came home...do I regret going? No. If I never went I would never have known.

After coming back from a Christmas holiday to Thailand 2 weeks ago, I can safely say that discovering the world is a beautiful thing and I'd recommend it to anyone.

Depending on where you're going, I'd say £2500 could last you a considerable amount of time, too.

You got this.

ReputationRep:
    travel is over-rated.

ReputationRep:
    Why not wait until your first long summer at uni?

With your first year out the way, you can assess whether your budgeting worked as planned - if so great, carry on, and use your savings. If it didn't, then thank goodness you've still got the other money to rely on.

Also, you'll likely meet people and come across opportunities at uni, that you might not have considered pre-uni. I spent my second long uni summer travelling all round some more obscure countries in Asia and had a blast. Would never have thought about going to those places otherwise, and with some great people.

ReputationRep:
    I'd save it if I were you. You never know, you might need it for a deposit for rent or something like that in a few years time.

ReputationRep:
    Aren't savings called savings for a reason? Also, i doubt you do LOTS of travelling with only £2500. Just save it instead. You never know when you will NEED it.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by the bear)
    travel is over-rated.
    Blasphemy! Apologise!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by sophia13)
    Aren't savings called savings for a reason? Also, i doubt you do LOTS of travelling with only £2500. Just save it instead. You never know when you will NEED it.
    Paging Doctor Buzz Kill...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Napp)
    Blasphemy! Apologise!
    :eviltongue:

ooh look at me on the Khe Sanh road improving my ping pong skills

smh

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 23, 2018
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.