The Student Room Group

University of Edinburgh or University of York? (For History)

Hey :smile:

I have already submitted my UCAS form, with the University of York as one of my choices. However, can't decide whether to substitute UOY for Edinburgh? They both have the same average offer (AAA). However, York is far higher in the League Table for my course (it is 9th instead of 44th on the Guardian website, for example). But, Edinburgh perhaps has a better international reputation (?), and I would be getting an MA instead of a BA as well. I am also applying for Durham (my top choice), St. Andrews and Lancaster (for which I have an ABB offer), and my predicted grades are A*AA, for some background knowledge.

In addition, I don't know whether swapping now (even though I can substitute a choice 14 days after submitting my UCAS form technically) might put me at a disadvantage. For example, as it is now after the Jan. 15th deadline, Edinburgh might be very surprised to receive a new application. The University admissions tutors might even be less likely to give me an offer, as they know their University is not my first choice.

Looking forward to hearing what you think!
(edited 6 years ago)
Take a look at the course outline, what you will be studying. Which one do you prefer?
Reply 2
They're both quite similar, to be honest. Neither have anything that really stands out. For example, at Warwick, I get to study Renaissance Italy and go to Venice for a term, but neither of them has anything like that. I have heard though at Scottish Unis, you get to study other subjects (e.g. English lit) as well as the subject you applied for, and can even add other subjects onto your final degree title? Is that true?
The Scottish MA courses aren't actual masters - they aren't recognised as masters courses. So you wouldn't be able to tell employers that you had a masters degree or apply for masters-level entry jobs.

Personally, I applied to Edinburgh for history and politics and got an offer, but turned it down as I wasn't impressed by the history modules offered - especially in first year they seemed very limited.
Reply 4
Edinburgh definitely has a global reputation. Outside of the UK, it's very unlikely anyone has ever even heard of York. Although Edinburgh offers an MA degree, it is the equivalent of an undergraduate degree, not a postgraduate masters, so take into consideration the cost of tuition fees for an extra year. There is a benefit to it however as you will have greater opportunities to choose optional courses that are not related to your degree. In terms of the location, I personally prefer Edinburgh a lot more than York. Honestly though, I didn't have a great opinion of the History degree at Edinburgh as last year, one of my flatmates who studied it dropped out by the end of October as she thought it was too hard and stressful. On the other hand though, this year, one of my flatmates also takes history but she's really enjoying it. I'm guessing it just comes down to good time management. Also, if you're interested in doing a year abroad you should look at each of the uni's partner universities and see which you prefer.
Original post by SophieRoe
Hey :smile:

I have already submitted my UCAS form, with the University of York as one of my choices. However, can't decide whether to substitute UOY for Edinburgh? They both have the same average offer (AAA). However, York is far higher in the League Table for my course (it is 9th instead of 44th on the Guardian website, for example). But, Edinburgh perhaps has a better international reputation (?), and I would be getting an MA instead of a BA as well. I am also applying for Durham (my top choice), St. Andrews and Lancaster (for which I have an ABB offer), and my predicted grades are A*AA, for some background knowledge.

In addition, I don't know whether swapping now (even though I can substitute a choice 14 days after submitting my UCAS form technically) might put me at a disadvantage. For example, as it is now after the Jan. 15th deadline, Edinburgh might be very surprised to receive a new application. The University admissions tutors might even be less likely to give me an offer, as they know their University is not my first choice.

Looking forward to hearing what you think!

As pointed out above, the Edinburgh degree is not a postgraduate MA.

The biggest issue is that if you now substitute Edinburgh in place of York it is definitely counted as a late application and Edinburgh have no obligation to consider you.

If you want to do this, then contact Edinburgh first and explain what you want to do and ask if your application would be considered. If not, then leave York in there obviously. If Edinburgh say yes, then decide if you actually want to do so. But get their answer on an email, not over the phone.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Bear in mind York is a campus university and you will be a (plentiful) bus ride from anywhere. Edinburgh is in the heart of the city.
Original post by nulli tertius
Bear in mind York is a campus university and you will be a (plentiful) bus ride from anywhere. Edinburgh is in the heart of the city.

It's not that far! 😁 In my day we regularly walked into the centre and back again, especially on Friday and Saturday nights. Though we usually had a break at the Rose and Crown just outside Walmgate 😋

Posted from TSR Mobile
Choose the one which you prefer the course for primarily, although give some consideration to the city and life of each location - you will be spending a lot of time there over the next few years, so pick somewhere you'd like to live!

Edinburgh does get style points for having a cannon fire every day though imo :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending