The Student Room Group

Which a levels are good for becoming a lawyer?

I am a male and i want to know which a levels are good for becoming a lawyer as this is my future ambition?
Definitely history

Probs good idea to do Maths as well

After that idk
No males allowed anymore, sorry
Reply 3
Original post by Rachmaninov
Definitely history

Probs good idea to do Maths as well

After that idk

Are these good options:
English literature
Statistics or maths
Law
Maths
history
economics
politics

could switch one for philosophy
Original post by Anonymous
I am a male and i want to know which a levels are good for becoming a lawyer as this is my future ambition?

English
History
Philosophy
Maths
Chemistry
Physics
Biology
Further Maths
Foreign Languge
Reply 6
Are these good options:
English literature
Statistics or maths
Law
For Law, essay-based A levels are looked upon more favourable than science A levels. However, you still need to take subjects that will give you the best possible grade. So whilst History is a more preferred subject but Maths would give you a better grade then take Maths as long as you have an essay based subject like English Lit in your 3 choices.

Sociology is also a good essay-based subject.
Are these good options:
English literature
Statistics or maths
Law

Maths is definitely good because it’s about problem solving / critical thinking (tbh maths is good for literally everything)

History is very good because it’s basically about sustaining coherent / strong arguments about real life events etc.

Other essay subjects are also good for the same reason (after all, an essay is essentially an argument).

And idk about law A level, sorry

1.English literature
2.History
3.Whatever you want
If you want to become a lawyer, the two usual routes are

A) Do a law degree. Then take the LPC or BPTC.
B) Do any other degree than law. Then take the GDL, and then the LPC or BPTC.

To get on a law degree, your A-Levels can be pretty much anything. All humanities, all social science, all STEM, mix of all. For any other degree than law, the course-specific requirements will vary.

But outside of degree entry requirements, LPC/BPTC/GDL have no A-Level subject requirements. Law firms do not either; some have an ABB+ threshold but this is not attached to subject combinations.
Computer Science

When Science Doesn't Meet the Law

New Law Journal, 10th July 2008

https://www.newlawjournal.co.uk/content/when-science-doesnt-meet-law

There's a lot of ingrained luddism in the legal profession but Britain can't survive the 21st century with scientifically illiterate lawyers or lawyers with an 'analogue' mindset in a digital world.

At the moment there's a glut of law graduates so having uncommon skills and knowledge could be an advantage in career development over the historians of Victorian England.
Are these good options:
English literature
Statistics or maths
Law

Law isn't the best option - it's generally seen as a soft A-level; one of the subjects, like psychology, that's great at degree level but not so great at A-level.

You don't need Law A-level to do a law degree and I would advise against it - History or English literature are far better.
Original post by Kyber Ninja
English
History
Philosophy
Maths
Chemistry
Physics
Biology
Further Maths
Foreign Languge

I agree
Why did you have to state your gender lol
Why do universities not like English language at A Level?
Maths
History
Politics
Law

Any subject which teaches you to work out which facts are relevant and which are not...

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'd personally avoid law. Unis don't like law so much b/c they want to be able to mould your legal mind from scratch

Quick Reply

Latest