The Student Room Group

I messed up my car insurance, what do I do?

Okay so I have my own car which I was learning in and after failing, more times than I care to admit , I finally passed. But , that was in September and I’ve just realised I didn’t update my insurance as a passed driver. I’ve been driving the car, but I just thought it would automatically update or something? Should I call my insurance and explain ? I don’t want to not be insured and I dk t want to mess my insurance up for life!
Just phone up and be totally honest, they should sort it. You might get back-charged if applicable, though, which you likely will because learner insurance is miles cheaper than full insurance.
Original post by It's****ingWOODY
Just phone up and be totally honest, they should sort it. You might get back-charged if applicable, though, which you likely will because learner insurance is miles cheaper than full insurance.

Okay, I’ll maybe do that, I’m just really scared they cancel my policy or there’s a black mark on my insurance :/
Original post by Phoebe2017jbp
Okay so I have my own car which I was learning in and after failing, more times than I care to admit , I finally passed. But , that was in September and I’ve just realised I didn’t update my insurance as a passed driver. I’ve been driving the car, but I just thought it would automatically update or something? Should I call my insurance and explain ? I don’t want to not be insured and I dk t want to mess my insurance up for life!

I dont see how they would even know you have been driving the last few months tbh.

Although i don’t see how you would think it would automatically update, since proper insurance is considerably more expensive.

I would just say that you have passed now and want to start driving and wish to turn the insurance to full insurance starting now
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Liamw1998
I dont see how they would even know you have been driving the last few months tbh.

Although i don’t see how you would think it would automatically update, since proper insurance is considerably more expensive.

I would just say that you have passed now and want to start driving and wish to turn the insurance to full insurance starting now

I would, but I have a black box and am the only one insured on it so they would know Ive been driving it. And I know it sounds so stupid but I’m the first one in my family to pass and it just never acurred to me ?
I would, but I have a black box and am the only one insured on it so they would know Ive been driving it. And I know it sounds so stupid but I’m the first one in my family to pass and it just never acurred to me ?

Oh right well then yeah youre in a bit of a tight spot then. I’m not sure what they will do about it or what you would need to say.

Most likely is what the other comment said though, they will probably charge you the full year from when you passed your test, at the very least.

And haha yeah I guess all of my family drive so it was just like common knowledge to me. Do you have the money for a full years insurance?
Reply 6

You have been driving uninsured from the moment you passed.

I've seen more cases where the policy has been cancelled than cases where it hasn't in these circumstances, so you ought to prepare for the worst.

You may get lucky, you probably won't.
I am, for once, lost for words. I don't even know what the repercussions are for what you've just done, but I have a few ideas. You've been driving insured, and in your policy I would almost guarantee from experience there's wording in there that you have to tell them you've passed when it happens. They will most likely, at this point once you tell them issue you a notice of cancellation which stays on your record for life (which means anytime you get insurance in the future; you will have to tell them that your last insurer cancelled your policy for insurance fraud; which is more or less what this is even though unintentional) - this is the worst case scenario; best case scenario they call you dopey and you agree to mutually terminate your contract. I doubt this last one - your insurance is cheaper as a learner than as a full license holder. You are extremely lucky you haven't crashed or been pulled over, else you'd be looking at an instant loss of license; the other worst case scenario by the way mentioning that is you lose your license; but the likelihood is your policy just being cancelled.

Have a chat with them, you're going to have to since you're currently uninsured there's no getting out of it really lol, they may just back-charge, call you lucky and let you keep going unless they invoke their policy T&Cs.

Also needless to say - stop driving right now and SORN the car unless they sort you out immediately.
(edited 6 years ago)

Technically, you've been driving without insurance which could've landed you with 6 points, which'd mean a straight up ban, and a fine of up to £1000.

You probably didn't get pulled over by the police for this, because on their database they can see the car is insured (they can't see if it was insured lawfully however).

The insurer would have specified that you cancel the learner driver policy as soon as you pass, even before the policy became active... So I'd prepare for the worst really. :sadnod:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending