Feel like I've hit a dead end.

Watch
Perceval
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hi, I'm looking for some advice as to what to do, because I honestly feel like I've hit a dead end, and I'm... I'm lost.

I'm currently studying a foundation year in university. It's not what I want to do, but if I carry on the way I am I should get enough UCAS points to get into the course I want to do. I don't have any A Levels, and while I have a GCSE C in Maths, I have a D in English.

I was told that I could be funded to get a Functional Skills Level 2 in English. Great! I went to the assessment centre, and I did my best on the assessment to see if I should study Level 1, or if I could go onto Level 2.

I ended up getting 71% on the assessment, and they basically told me that the score was too high to get funded by the government to get the Level 2 qualification, which means that I need to pay £450 for the exams, etc.

I'm honestly gutted by this - I wasn't told that there's a certain score threshold to get accepted for funding, otherwise honestly, I would of tried to get less than 50%. I can't afford to pay out that much for the qualification.

Now, I'm worried that I've wasted £18k and a year of education when I won't be able to get onto any courses. I know that nearly every single university wants you to either have a C, or a Level 2 pass. I'm stressing out because I feel like I've fallen into a net, I haven't got the qualification to get into a different university, yet I cannot get funded because my assessment level was too high.

I know £450 isn't a lot of money, but I am skint, don't have contact with my family and am too ill to work. Is there any way I can get past this? Can I get an advanced learner loan to get a functional skills qualification? Because I really don't want to have my dream crushed because I didn't do well in school.

I hope this makes sense.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Perceval)
Hi, I'm looking for some advice as to what to do, because I honestly feel like I've hit a dead end, and I'm... I'm lost.

I'm currently studying a foundation year in university. It's not what I want to do, but if I carry on the way I am I should get enough UCAS points to get into the course I want to do. I don't have any A Levels, and while I have a GCSE C in Maths, I have a D in English.

I was told that I could be funded to get a Functional Skills Level 2 in English. Great! I went to the assessment centre, and I did my best on the assessment to see if I should study Level 1, or if I could go onto Level 2.

I ended up getting 71% on the assessment, and they basically told me that the score was too high to get funded by the government to get the Level 2 qualification, which means that I need to pay £450 for the exams, etc.

I'm honestly gutted by this - I wasn't told that there's a certain score threshold to get accepted for funding, otherwise honestly, I would of tried to get less than 50%. I can't afford to pay out that much for the qualification.

Now, I'm worried that I've wasted £18k and a year of education when I won't be able to get onto any courses. I know that nearly every single university wants you to either have a C, or a Level 2 pass. I'm stressing out because I feel like I've fallen into a net, I haven't got the qualification to get into a different university, yet I cannot get funded because my assessment level was too high.

I know £450 isn't a lot of money, but I am skint, don't have contact with my family and am too ill to work. Is there any way I can get past this? Can I get an advanced learner loan to get a functional skills qualification? Because I really don't want to have my dream crushed because I didn't do well in school.

I hope this makes sense.
Advanced learner loans cover level 3 quals and above.
https://www.gov.uk/advanced-learner-loan/eligibility

I would just have done gcse English. You will find functional skills inst accepted everywhere.

Go and speak to your uni carers adviser or
https://nationalcareersservice.direc...ontact-us/home
Guinevere Arthur
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
There’s a section of ‘another applicant’ when applying to university for students who faced some problem. There’s a chance you can do your English at university, I’d say to contact them if you can about a certain course, whether they are willing to let you resit and explain your issues and how they wouldn’t let you progress, write all that in the form that’s given or your personal statements
999tigger
Report 3 years ago
I think whats said above is worth investigating. Unis these days have English centres where they help the international students. If you are doing well on the foundation then explain your issue to the course organiser and mention the fact it will prevent you reaching your goal . Ask them if they can help.
Dodevu
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Try foundation year? Depending on what you wanna do some of them don't even ask for GCSE's, some of them ask for a C in Maths, some of them ask for Maths and English... Worth a try.
999tigger
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Dodevu)
Try foundation year? Depending on what you wanna do some of them don't even ask for GCSE's, some of them ask for a C in Maths, some of them ask for Maths and English... Worth a try.
If you read the OP, then you will see they are already doing a foundation year.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think mandatory Relationships and Sex Education in secondary schools is a good idea?

Yes (367)
84.17%
No (69)
15.83%

Watched Threads