The Student Room Group

U.S. Government Shutdown starts

post removed
(edited 1 year ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It’s shocking that a political party will block the healthcare of nearly 9 million children to protect illegal immigrants.

Last time I checked a government was supposed to protect its citizens and the democrats voted against that to try to force through something completely unrelated to government funding.

If people are unsure how it failed you need 60 votes in the senate where there is 100 seats and the republicans have 51 seats.
(edited 6 years ago)
For those of you failing to understand: it’s Purge season
Original post by joecphillips
It’s shocking that a political party will block the healthcare of nearly 9 million children to protect illegal immigrants.

Last time I checked a government was supposed to protect its citizens and the democrats voted against that to try to force through something completely unrelated to government funding.

If people are unsure how it failed you need 60 votes in the senate where there is 100 seats and the republicans have 51 seats.

You have a lot to learn about politics. If you lack the numbers, you have to be willing to compromise. The Republicans weren't. Hell, they couldn't even convince all their own senators to vote in favour of the bill.
Reply 4
Original post by Sulfolobus
You have a lot to learn about politics. If you lack the numbers, you have to be willing to compromise. The Republicans weren't. Hell, they couldn't even convince all their own senators to vote in favour of the bill.

Compromise doesn’t mean folding, there is no reason for the democrats to threaten the lives of people to protect illegal immigrants, there is compromise in the bill it just doesn’t include unrelated things.

Democrats have said themselves that people will die if the government shuts down and yet they have voted for that to happen.
Compromise doesn’t mean folding, there is no reason for the democrats to threaten the lives of people to protect illegal immigrants, there is compromise in the bill it just doesn’t include unrelated things.

This is much bigger than illegal immigrants. You are simply making the debate emotive whilst trying to push your own political views.
Reply 6
Original post by ByEeek
This is much bigger than illegal immigrants. You are simply making the debate emotive whilst trying to push your own political views.

What part do they oppose? It’s daca which is about illegal immigrants that they want including which is not a funding issue, the people who suffer most from this is the average working American and the kids who have no health insurance because the democrats voted against it to protect illegal immigrants.

DACA shouldn’t be in any part of this discussion but the democrats refuse to vote for anything that doesn’t include it.
(edited 6 years ago)

DACA shouldn’t be in any part of this discussion but the democrats refuse to vote for anything that doesn’t include it.

It is called politics. Sure, democrats are using this particular measure, but given that the US economy depends on illegal immigrants, it is a massive thing. There are people who have been born in the US 20 years ago but who are not recognised. You can't tell them to go home. Where would you send them. It isn't a black and white issue where the answer is simple "Illegals go home".

But it is much more than that. Trump is currently wrecking the US and anything the democrats can do to unseat him they will do, just as the Republicans unilaterally blocked every piece of legislation proposed by Obama regardless of how good it was.

America is in a rather sad state at present where the needs of the nation seem to be running secondary to the ego of Trump (one) and the partisan battles in congress / senate (two).

Trump said he would drain the swamp. He now is the swamp.

Polls strongly indicate that Americans will blame a shutdown on Trump and the GOP rather than Democrats. And btw, even if they only needed 51 votes, they still probably wouldn't be able to pass it - the Republicans are not united on this.

Jason Kander tweeted this, hilarious:

The President said he was going to run America like his businesses. Apparently we have reached the part where he would usually just declare bankruptcy and run away.
Reply 9
Original post by ByEeek
It is called politics. Sure, democrats are using this particular measure, but given that the US economy depends on illegal immigrants, it is a massive thing. There are people who have been born in the US 20 years ago but who are not recognised. You can't tell them to go home. Where would you send them. It isn't a black and white issue where the answer is simple "Illegals go home".

But it is much more than that. Trump is currently wrecking the US and anything the democrats can do to unseat him they will do, just as the Republicans unilaterally blocked every piece of legislation proposed by Obama regardless of how good it was.

America is in a rather sad state at present where the needs of the nation seem to be running secondary to the ego of Trump (one) and the partisan battles in congress / senate (two).

Trump said he would drain the swamp. He now is the swamp.

The American economy says otherwise and yes it is black and white the democrats are willing to let Americans die (A Democrat said people would die) to protect illegal immigrants.
The American economy says otherwise and yes it is black and white the democrats are willing to let Americans die (A Democrat said people would die) to protect illegal immigrants.

No they are not. Which Americans will die because of this?
Reply 11
Original post by Snufkin
Polls strongly indicate that Americans will blame a shutdown on Trump and the GOP rather than Democrats. And btw, even if they only needed 51 votes, they still probably wouldn't be able to pass it - the Republicans are not united on this.

Jason Kander tweeted this, hilarious:

The President said he was going to run America like his businesses. Apparently we have reached the part where he would usually just declare bankruptcy and run away.

I’m wondering where you get that from considering even CNN’s poll says that more people blame the democrats in the senate than trump.

Very funny tweet but let’s get serious here the democrats voted for American children to die, do you not think it’s a problem? Fienstein is the one who said people will die not me.
Reply 12
Original post by ByEeek
No they are not. Which Americans will die because of this?

Well for a start there are 9 million kids with no health insurance because the democrats voted against it.

Democrats said it would happen, here is the headline of a cnn article Feinstein warns people will die if the government shuts down, yet they voted for it are you saying the democrats or cnn are liars?
I’m wondering where you get that from considering even CNN’s poll says that more people blame the democrats in the senate than trump.

Very funny tweet but let’s get serious here the democrats voted for American children to die, do you not think it’s a problem? Fienstein is the one who said people will die not me.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/page/2010-2019/WashingtonPost/2018/01/19/National-Politics/Polling/release_506.xml?tid=a_mcntx

"A 48 percent plurality says Trump and congressional Republicans are mainly responsible for the situation resulting from disagreements over immigration laws and border security, while 28 percent fault Democrats. A sizable 18 percent volunteer that both parties are equally responsible. Political independents drive the lopsided margin of blame, saying by 46 to 25 percent margin that Republicans and Trump are responsible for the situation."

The Republicans couldn't even get a simple majority, let alone the required 60. I repeat, the GOP are not united on this. It will be very hard to blame this on the Dems.
Reply 14
Original post by Snufkin
https://www.washingtonpost.com/page/2010-2019/WashingtonPost/2018/01/19/National-Politics/Polling/release_506.xml?tid=a_mcntx

"A 48 percent plurality says Trump and congressional Republicans are mainly responsible for the situation resulting from disagreements over immigration laws and border security, while 28 percent fault Democrats. A sizable 18 percent volunteer that both parties are equally responsible. Political independents drive the lopsided margin of blame, saying by 46 to 25 percent margin that Republicans and Trump are responsible for the situation."

The Republicans couldn't even get a simple majority, let alone the required 60. I repeat, the GOP are not united on this. It will be very hard to blame this on the Dems.

Ah so your source uses trump and people in congress in one group, I wonder what they are separately.

I looked at http://edition.cnn.com/2018/01/19/politics/cnn-poll-shutdown-trump-immigration-daca/index.html

Dems 31
Reps 26
Trump 21
All of them 10

The American public don’t want their representatives putting illegal immigrants in front of them, the heat is going to turn up on the democrats the longer this goes on.

The vote ended 50-49 so had the majority of votes
(edited 6 years ago)
Love to watch the world burn from the comfort of my own home 😂
Well for a start there are 9 million kids with no health insurance because the democrats voted against it.

I can't respond to this simplistic statement. I don't even know what it means. Are you really suggesting the democrats sat down one day had a chat and decided that they were going to act such that 9 million kids in the US would have no access to healthcare? Is that what you are saying because that is how it sounds.
The vote ended 50-49 so had the majority of votes

But that isn't a simple majority (51). Five Republicans voted against it, if the Reps can't even get their own side to back it, why should anyone blame the Dems?

Democrats said it would happen, here is the headline of a cnn article Feinstein warns people will die if the government shuts down, yet they voted for it are you saying the democrats or cnn are liars?

So who is to blame? The Democrats for opposing or the Republicans for not making concessions? I would point the finger at both.

Didn't the Republicans force a government shutdown under Obama?
Reply 19
Original post by ByEeek
I can't respond to this simplistic statement. I don't even know what it means. Are you really suggesting the democrats sat down one day had a chat and decided that they were going to act such that 9 million kids in the US would have no access to healthcare? Is that what you are saying because that is how it sounds.

I’m saying that last night they voted against funding healthcare for 9 million children to try to protect illegal immigrants.

Quick Reply

Latest