The Student Room Group

What university should I go to Middlesex or UEL ?

Middlesex is the best for social work but UEL has links in east London where I live where and I want to work.
Middlesex is one of the few ex polytechnics to have a decent reputation. So I would say there.
Did you have to have a interview for Social Work? I have a interview in Feb and I’m really nervous. Any tips you recommend etc for the interview you have would be greatly appreciated? I applied for UEL
Original post by ShaneB1133
Middlesex is the best for social work but UEL has links in east London where I live where and I want to work.

Hello!

I am currently studying at Middlesex University and I love my time here :smile:
There are loads of great opportunities to make new friends and to get involved in sports, societies, jobs on campus and volunteering opportunities :smile:

In terms of Social Work,

β€’

We have excellent relationships with a range of local authorities and voluntary and independent sector organisations across London, ensuring our course teaches the most current policy and practice in social work, and ensuring access to high quality placements

β€’

You will benefit from high levels of tutor contact time through extended teaching sessions, interactive workshop style seminars and e-learning resources

β€’

Upon graduation you will be eligible to apply to the HCPC to register as a qualified social worker

β€’

As a student of this course you'll receive a free electronic textbook for every module.

We are also only 15 minutes away from Camden town, so it is easy to get to central or to commute.
The thing that I love the most about Middlesex is the community! We are a campus university, so you really feel that you are part of it :smile:

Let me know if you have any other specific question!

Have a great day
Ludovica
Reply 4

I had a similar dilemma. Had to choose between UEL, Middlesex, Goldsmiths and Greenwich. I went with UEL as it's the closest to home (I'm a mature student so won't live in halls) and I preferred the feel of it to the others. UEL is also top in London for Social Work according to the Guardian rankings but it's not worth reading too much into the rankings really.

I think location is a huge deal if you're living at home and studying social work. The placements are likely to be closer as well and it's such a time consuming course that avoiding lengthy travel times is vital I reckon. For a vocational course like this, where the end result wherever you go is that you're licensed to practice social work, I wouldn't worry too much about the overall reputation of the university.
Reply 5
Original post by StormMcGivern1
Did you have to have a interview for Social Work? I have a interview in Feb and I’m really nervous. Any tips you recommend etc for the interview you have would be greatly appreciated? I applied for UEL

UEL was the most relaxed interview of all the ones I did. They'll give you a short case study that you have to give your reaction to (it's quite obvious, just mention anti-discriminatory practice, etc) and then ask various questions about your suitability to be a social worker, what skills you might need, why you want to study at UEL, etc. You'll also get asked about relevant work experience.
Reply 6
Original post by StormMcGivern1

Sorry I’ve just seen this. Uel interview was fine. Questions related to social care experience which I didn’t have much off but still managed to answer the questions. Also I got 28/30 on the test so he said that helps a lot because I didn’t think I do too well. Also they ask why you want to Study social work and why UEL. I got an unconditional offer and I hope to see you in sept
Reply 7
Original post by psmcw12
I had a similar dilemma. Had to choose between UEL, Middlesex, Goldsmiths and Greenwich. I went with UEL as it's the closest to home (I'm a mature student so won't live in halls) and I preferred the feel of it to the others. UEL is also top in London for Social Work according to the Guardian rankings but it's not worth reading too much into the rankings really.

I think location is a huge deal if you're living at home and studying social work. The placements are likely to be closer as well and it's such a time consuming course that avoiding lengthy travel times is vital I reckon. For a vocational course like this, where the end result wherever you go is that you're licensed to practice social work, I wouldn't worry too much about the overall reputation of the university.

Hi thank you. I chose UEL in the end I want to work in East london and they have those links so it was a no brainer. Although I will be the youngest he said 24 but that’s okay.

How was the course for you ?
Reply 8
Hi thank you. I chose UEL in the end I want to work in East london and they have those links so it was a no brainer. Although I will be the youngest he said 24 but that’s okay.

How was the course for you ?

Don't know yet, I'm starting in September!
Reply 9
Is it true the social work ma at middlesex is 14 months and the programme at uel is 24 months?I am worried about funding but have applied for masters at both universities (have interview with both)

Quick Reply

Latest