The Student Room Group

Choosing between two chemistry and psycology- please help!

I love biology and English literature, and I am definitely taking these at A level. However, I am really struggling to choose between psychology and chemistry.

I am really interested in psychology, but I haven't taken it at GCSE. However, many people have told me that this might actually be a good thing because I won't have to go over stuff I already know. From what I know I assume that psychology is quite a bit easier than chemistry. However, I have heard that psychology does not look particularly good when applying to universities as many don't see it as a 'real' science. I am looking to apply for some of the top unis, so I wouldn't want this to prevent me from getting in.

I also enjoy chemistry and know that it would look great at university. I am considering going into teaching, and apparently this is a good subject to have as chemistry teachers are always in demand. There is quite a high chance that I will end up studying biology at uni, and many top universities like you to have chemistry as well. However, I have heard that chemistry is one of, if not the, hardest a level. I don't want to be stressed out all the time during 6th form, and also I don't want chemistry to take too much time away from biology and English as there are my main two. I am still not completely sure what I want to study at university, but I doubt that it will be chemistry because so few unis run a chemistry course.

Another reason that I am reluctant about chemistry is because I am worried that I will get a low grade in it. I have just done my GCSE mocks and I got a 9 in biology and a 9 in English. I also got a 9 in chemistry, but it took a lot of work because my teacher isn't very good. I know that having a bad teacher could be a huge problem at A level. I don't pick up chemistry particularly easily, I have to go away and spend a lot of time looking at it.

Do you think that unis will really care if I have chem or psychology for a biology course? Do you think that chemistry is the hardest A level? And for those who take psychology and chemistry, which do you prefer and why? What are your predicted grades?

Thank you so so much in advance!
Psychology is, for me personally, a very easy A Level compared to Chemistry because most of the course is about regurgitating information (even their application question and evaluation questions are very easy because there are only a limited number of evaluation points per study, most of which can be worked out by common sense).
Because Chemistry is harder than Psychology and has a better application into biological courses, universities may not "refuse" anyone that offers psychology and "accept" anyone that offer Chemistry, but they are likely to offer lower grade boundaries to those that offer chemistry to psychology.
I'd think Chemistry would be the better option for a biology course, and would be more useful. (it'd also leave more doors open) You clearly have ability from that 9 in your mocks.
Original post by YouMadBro!
Psychology is, for me personally, a very easy A Level compared to Chemistry because most of the course is about regurgitating information (even their application question and evaluation questions are very easy because there are only a limited number of evaluation points per study, most of which can be worked out by common sense).
Because Chemistry is harder than Psychology and has a better application into biological courses, universities may not "refuse" anyone that offers psychology and "accept" anyone that offer Chemistry, but they are likely to offer lower grade boundaries to those that offer chemistry to psychology.

Ditto this ^
I did both at A Level along with biology (now studying psychology at university). Psychology is mostly remembering information, with a bit of application - it also includes elements of maths/statistics and biology. It overlaps quite nicely with A Level biology. It also gives you good essay writing skills which you may or may not need for university - depends on the degree you choose. Chemistry is very mathsy and application, it's challenging but doesn't require to remember much information in comparison to psychology. It didn't really overlap with biology much in my opinion.

I'd have a look at what university requirements are for the degree you intend to study, and to be honest, if chemistry isn't a requirement and wouldn't benefit your application, I'd pick psychology.
Original post by prophetkid
Ditto this ^
I did both at A Level along with biology (now studying psychology at university). Psychology is mostly remembering information, with a bit of application - it also includes elements of maths/statistics and biology. It overlaps quite nicely with A Level biology. It also gives you good essay writing skills which you may or may not need for university - depends on the degree you choose. Chemistry is very mathsy and application, it's challenging but doesn't require to remember much information in comparison to psychology. It didn't really overlap with biology much in my opinion.

I'd have a look at what university requirements are for the degree you intend to study, and to be honest, if chemistry isn't a requirement and wouldn't benefit your application, I'd pick psychology.

Ditto this ^
If you are good at remembering generalized concepts which then you can apply to chemistry, you will do very well in A Level Chemistry. If you can boil down those formulaes and equations into common sense concepts, you'll find that A Level Chemistry's vast breath and depth of ideas can be remembered very easily. It's all about your favourite method of revision.
I take biology, chemistry and psychology (I'm in year 13) so I hope I can give a hand.

Psychology will not prevent you from getting into top universities, I don't know who gave you this idea! I've applied to 3 Russel Group for Biomed/Microbiology and have two offers and an interview with a psychology A Level. As long as you take the subjects they ask and get the grades they want you can take anything else! Plus psychology is classed by a lot of places as a science or science related subject.

Out of the two chemistry is definitely the harder a level by miles. Psychology is hard in the sense that it is a lot of content to revise and so take a lot of effort whereas chemistry has much less content but it's a lot harder. I tend to spend a lot of my revision time on chemistry as it's my weakest subject and there's a lot of maths which isn't my strong point at all! However I love both of these subjects and wouldn't change my mind if I has to choose again.

Don't take a subject you won't enjoy, it's not a good idea. I had a friend who chose chemistry just cause she thought she should and found it fine at GCSE but she ended up hating her entire first year because of it and couldn't bring herself to revise because she hated so much and let's just say she failed it in the end. Pick the subject you will prefer and are good at over the one you feel obliged to take.

Also it's no issue that you didn't do GCSE psychology as like 90% of places don't even provide it. I got an A at AS Level in Psychology and don't have a GCSE in it so yeah that's no issue.

If you have any questions just ask and I hope I've helped!
Original post by Akorra
I love biology and English literature, and I am definitely taking these at A level. However, I am really struggling to choose between psychology and chemistry.

I am really interested in psychology, but I haven't taken it at GCSE. However, many people have told me that this might actually be a good thing because I won't have to go over stuff I already know. From what I know I assume that psychology is quite a bit easier than chemistry. However, I have heard that psychology does not look particularly good when applying to universities as many don't see it as a 'real' science. I am looking to apply for some of the top unis, so I wouldn't want this to prevent me from getting in.

I also enjoy chemistry and know that it would look great at university. I am considering going into teaching, and apparently this is a good subject to have as chemistry teachers are always in demand. There is quite a high chance that I will end up studying biology at uni, and many top universities like you to have chemistry as well. However, I have heard that chemistry is one of, if not the, hardest a level. I don't want to be stressed out all the time during 6th form, and also I don't want chemistry to take too much time away from biology and English as there are my main two. I am still not completely sure what I want to study at university, but I doubt that it will be chemistry because so few unis run a chemistry course.

Another reason that I am reluctant about chemistry is because I am worried that I will get a low grade in it. I have just done my GCSE mocks and I got a 9 in biology and a 9 in English. I also got a 9 in chemistry, but it took a lot of work because my teacher isn't very good. I know that having a bad teacher could be a huge problem at A level. I don't pick up chemistry particularly easily, I have to go away and spend a lot of time looking at it.

Do you think that unis will really care if I have chem or psychology for a biology course? Do you think that chemistry is the hardest A level? And for those who take psychology and chemistry, which do you prefer and why? What are your predicted grades?

Thank you so so much in advance!

Hi
Chemistry is a brilliant subject at A-level, and particularly for Science Biology and Chemistry will open a lot more doors than Biology and Psychology, also Chemistry and Biology do overlap in areas and having the other can definitely benefit you in areas on both courses
Also you could change your mind about what you wanted to do at Uni at any point over the next two years, and having biology and chemistry will open a lot of different areas such as medicine and dentistry whereas Psychology is very limited in this respect
Hope this helps
They don't say it's the hardest A Level for nothing, but if you love it enough, Chemistry will be worth it for you, and will open so many doors and opportunities.
chem is the best! psychology doesn't open up many doors tbh. it would be fine as a fourth subject but it's not that useful as a third subject, particularly if you don't want to go study psychology at uni.
Reply 9
Original post by prophetkid
Ditto this ^

Thank you so much, this was very helpful!
Reply 10
Original post by yeahthatonethere
I take biology, chemistry and psychology (I'm in year 13) so I hope I can give a hand.

Psychology will not prevent you from getting into top universities, I don't know who gave you this idea! I've applied to 3 Russel Group for Biomed/Microbiology and have two offers and an interview with a psychology A Level. As long as you take the subjects they ask and get the grades they want you can take anything else! Plus psychology is classed by a lot of places as a science or science related subject.

Out of the two chemistry is definitely the harder a level by miles. Psychology is hard in the sense that it is a lot of content to revise and so take a lot of effort whereas chemistry has much less content but it's a lot harder. I tend to spend a lot of my revision time on chemistry as it's my weakest subject and there's a lot of maths which isn't my strong point at all! However I love both of these subjects and wouldn't change my mind if I has to choose again.

Don't take a subject you won't enjoy, it's not a good idea. I had a friend who chose chemistry just cause she thought she should and found it fine at GCSE but she ended up hating her entire first year because of it and couldn't bring herself to revise because she hated so much and let's just say she failed it in the end. Pick the subject you will prefer and are good at over the one you feel obliged to take.

Also it's no issue that you didn't do GCSE psychology as like 90% of places don't even provide it. I got an A at AS Level in Psychology and don't have a GCSE in it so yeah that's no issue.

If you have any questions just ask and I hope I've helped!

Thank you, this was so helpful x
Reply 11
Original post by Joemassey1
Hi
Chemistry is a brilliant subject at A-level, and particularly for Science Biology and Chemistry will open a lot more doors than Biology and Psychology, also Chemistry and Biology do overlap in areas and having the other can definitely benefit you in areas on both courses
Also you could change your mind about what you wanted to do at Uni at any point over the next two years, and having biology and chemistry will open a lot of different areas such as medicine and dentistry whereas Psychology is very limited in this respect
Hope this helps

Thanks!
Reply 12
Original post by YouMadBro!
Ditto this ^
If you are good at remembering generalized concepts which then you can apply to chemistry, you will do very well in A Level Chemistry. If you can boil down those formulaes and equations into common sense concepts, you'll find that A Level Chemistry's vast breath and depth of ideas can be remembered very easily. It's all about your favourite method of revision.

Thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest