How to prepare for second year of uni in OU

Watch
Ethereal21foreva
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I am planning on studying a full time degree, just like I did with my previous degree in Health Sciences. I am not planning to take up a part time job, as they will drop my chances of a good grade. I had experience of studying in University, but in the second year of OU it is quite different.

There are a lot more assignments(13) in my course, there are 2 exams and 2 EMAs(End Of Module assessments), naturally one would take on part time study to reduce the intensity, but my family and I have no patience to wait so many years for me to finish and I would be around 28 when I finally graduate IF I take on part time study, which is I want to finish my undergraduate in 3 years, where I would be 25 years old and get onto my desired masters degree quicker, since I want a career at the end of my academic journey.

I am doing pretty good in my first year, above 70s or even firsts, but I am aware things will be different in second and third year, so if anyone that is doing 2nd year full time study, it doesn't have to be the same subject please let me know how you are coping.
Rosco316
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I'm doing 2nd year full time (Politics and Business Management Open Degree) and its a lot of work. I'd say the quickest you can do an OU degree is 4 years unless your pathway has april start 30 cred modules. I wouldn't recommend you do level 3 120 as the workload at level 3 is very intense. Join the 120 pointers on facebook, if you search OU 120 pointers you should find the group.
SuperCat007
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Ethereal21foreva)
I am planning on studying a full time degree, just like I did with my previous degree in Health Sciences. I am not planning to take up a part time job, as they will drop my chances of a good grade. I had experience of studying in University, but in the second year of OU it is quite different.

There are a lot more assignments(13) in my course, there are 2 exams and 2 EMAs(End Of Module assessments), naturally one would take on part time study to reduce the intensity, but my family and I have no patience to wait so many years for me to finish and I would be around 28 when I finally graduate IF I take on part time study, which is I want to finish my undergraduate in 3 years, where I would be 25 years old and get onto my desired masters degree quicker, since I want a career at the end of my academic journey.

I am doing pretty good in my first year, above 70s or even firsts, but I am aware things will be different in second and third year, so if anyone that is doing 2nd year full time study, it doesn't have to be the same subject please let me know how you are coping.
I'd second the above poster. I tried full time in my second year and it was really tough. But I had 4 x 30 credit modules, and I felt it may have been easier studying fewer modules worth more credits. Alas, that wasn't an option. I also have 3 casual jobs and could be working up to 30-40 hours a week some weeks. Hence, I decided to drop the study intensity and find full time work which would pay more and be more reliable AND give me industry experience. This turned out to be a great choice because I now have nearly 2 years industry experience, some managerial experience and have 5 months left of my degree. I guess it depends on the industry as well.

I wouldn't worry about the age you may or may not be when you graduate. You'll still have a lengthy career and could gain valuable work experience along your degree journey. Age is just a number, it feels a big deal when you're younger, but nobody really cares as long as you can do the job well and be willing to learn in the workplace.
Ethereal21foreva
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Thank you guys, for the advice, I am actually thinking of studying over the summer.
username3456172
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Ethereal21foreva)
Thank you guys, for the advice, I am actually thinking of studying over the summer.
I bought my books and studied over the summer. I plan to do the same for level 2 of my literature degree. I completed a 300-page textbook sitting in the sun. It's not too bad!
-Eirlys-
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
If I don't do full time in level 2 next year, I'll graduate when I'm 27. It kind of sucks, but you have to remember that you're not doing it like everyone else. Most OU students have part time or full time jobs with families, whilst those who complete a degree in three years elsewhere usually don't have those. If you're not currently working at the moment, then you're more than capable of doing full time, I'd say. People have said I am capable of doing it whilst working 20 hours a week. I know one woman who works full time and she's doing it full time and I know another who works, was doing a diploma along side it, has a child and wishes to do full time. It's possible, if you're organised.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about starting university this autumn?

Really excited (58)
21.8%
Excited but a bit nervous (122)
45.86%
Not bothered either way (34)
12.78%
I'm really nervous (52)
19.55%

Watched Threads