The Student Room Group

core 1

Write down the set of values of the constant k for which equation 2x^3 -3x^2 -12x-7 = k has exactly one real solution.( 2 marks)

Working out :
2x^3 -3x^2 -12x-7 = (x+1)^2 (2x-7)
how do find the set of values from which k has exactly one real solution from this^?
Reply 1
Original post by Chelsea12345
Write down the set of values of the constant k for which equation 2x^3 -3x^2 -12x-7 = k has exactly one real solution.( 2 marks)

Working out :
how do find the set of values from which k has exactly one real solution from this^?

perhaps draw a graph and see for which y values does the line only pass through once.

Spoiler

Working out :

If you have the graph, and worked out the stationary points, (and I assume you have these, since this is only 2 marks) then it should be obvious that it's any kk above the local maximum, or below the local minimum.
Thankyou!
Original post by RDKGames
If you have the graph, and worked out the stationary points, (and I assume you have these, since this is only 2 marks) then it should be obvious that it's any kk above the local maximum, or below the local minimum.

What you said about the k being above the local maximum.. works to give me the correct answer but can i just ask why the y value of the stationary point is used instead of the x value?
What you said about the k being above the local maximum.. works to give me the correct answer but can i just ask why the y value of the stationary point is used instead of the x value?

Because 2x33x212x7=k2x^3 -3x^2 -12x-7 = k denotes the intersection between y=2x33x212x7y=2x^3 -3x^2 -12x-7 and y=ky=k. So when we say "For what values of kk..." we are basically asking "For what values of y..."
Original post by RDKGames
Because 2x33x212x7=k2x^3 -3x^2 -12x-7 = k denotes the intersection between y=2x33x212x7y=2x^3 -3x^2 -12x-7 and y=ky=k. So when we say "For what values of kk..." we are basically asking "For what values of y..."

thankyou

Quick Reply

Latest