Gcse maths help- how do i solve this

Watch this thread
Alstudent02
Badges: 6
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Y is inversely proportional to x2 (squared) and y = 3 when x=12

Show that y= 27 when x =4
Patpsbl
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 years ago
inversely proportional means that what you do to x is the opposite to what you do to Y. I can't exactly remember the working out (I haven't done maths in two years) so I can't help you with that but hopefully I helped a little
flaurie
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Alstudent02)
Y is inversely proportional to x2 (squared) and y = 3 when x=12

Show that y= 27 when x =4
what's your working so far?
emfileman
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
inversely proportional means that y is proportional to 1/x^2 (x^2=x squared)
y=k/x^2
3=k/144
k=432 (constant of proportionality)

27=432/4^2
27=432/16
flaurie
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
  • y ∝ 1/x
  • y = k/x
  • So xy = k

if this helps? Try substituting the numbers in
flaurie
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by emfileman)
inversely proportional means that y is proportional to 1/x^2 (x^2=x squared)
y=k/x^2
3=k/144
k=432 (constant of proportionality)

27=432/4^2
27=432/16
try not to give full answers, let them work it out with some guidance, otherwise they don't learn anything
DominicW123
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Y is inversely proportional to x^2 so Y= k/x^2You can rearrange that to be k = Y times x^2, therefore, k=3 times 12^2 which is 432.Now, to prove that y = 27 when x = 4 we do 432/4^2 which is in fact 27!
Olliewaitroselad
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
You should've done this in class but inversely proportional means y =k/x*. you needs to sub in your x and y values to work out k. 3 = k/12* so therefore,
k=144x3=432
so y = 432/x, when y = 27, 27 = 432/x*.
X* = 432/27
X* = 16
x=4

Hope that helped
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has advance information helped during your exams?

Yes (132)
66.33%
No (45)
22.61%
I didn't use it to prepare (22)
11.06%

Watched Threads