kainaatqamar
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hi so I've received an offer from both UCL and Birmingham (and Exeter and Cardiff but I'm not longer considering them) for Psychology BSc and I am torn as to which I should place as my firm option. For UCL the entry requirements are A*AA and Bham is AAA with AAB A in EPQ, if I put them as my firm. I have recently attended the applicant day at Birmingham and I fell in love with the campus and course, I have an applicant day for UCL soon but I don't anticipate loving it as much as Bham. UCL is consistently in the top 5 for psychology specifically, and 3rd overall, whereas Bham is 7th (10th on some league tables) for psychology and much lower overall as a university.As I am studying Psychology I am particularly conscious that I need to go to a well-respected university, but I do not particularly want to live in London (mainly because of the high prices but also I've been told it's very fast-paced). I know I want to live in a city, but I've been told Bham and UCL are very different vibes.If anyone could offer any advice it would be greatly appreciated.Overall, should I choose the academically preferred university or a personal preference?
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by kainaatqamar)
Hi so I've received an offer from both UCL and Birmingham (and Exeter and Cardiff but I'm not longer considering them) for Psychology BSc and I am torn as to which I should place as my firm option. For UCL the entry requirements are A*AA and Bham is AAA with AAB A in EPQ, if I put them as my firm. I have recently attended the applicant day at Birmingham and I fell in love with the campus and course, I have an applicant day for UCL soon but I don't anticipate loving it as much as Bham. UCL is consistently in the top 5 for psychology specifically, and 3rd overall, whereas Bham is 7th (10th on some league tables) for psychology and much lower overall as a university.As I am studying Psychology I am particularly conscious that I need to go to a well-respected university, but I do not particularly want to live in London (mainly because of the high prices but also I've been told it's very fast-paced). I know I want to live in a city, but I've been told Bham and UCL are very different vibes.If anyone could offer any advice it would be greatly appreciated.Overall, should I choose the academically preferred university or a personal preference?
Between 3rd and 7th won't make a massive difference and as far as i m aware league tables don't make a major difference in psychology careers and that grades and accreditation matter, if you don't want to go to london and loved the campus at bham then go for there
da7awang
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hi. I did my undergrad at Birmingham, graduated last year. The course at UoB is very focused on Cognitive Psychology and Developmental Psychology, even the modules that aren't necessarily related to cognition. The lecturers are generally experts in their field that lead national and international research projects. Research methods modules have a big impact on your degree 40 credits in first year and 40 credits in second year, but they are very easy to follow and pass with a good grade.

Birmingham is a northern city, pretty much like any other only that it holds students for 5 different universities making it a young town. I can't stress enough how well transport works in Bham, how well connected everything is. It is never crowded and you can easily stay in Selly Oak and have everything you need. UoB has a train station with trains to town every 15mins, journey takes 7mins.

Contact me if you want to ask any specific questions about the course, happy to help! Good luck with your decision!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (27)
13.17%
I need help researching courses (14)
6.83%
I need help with filling out the application form (9)
4.39%
I need help with my personal statement (85)
41.46%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (51)
24.88%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (3)
1.46%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (16)
7.8%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed