kobe0921
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi guys, so I’ve been applying for an internship (asset management and real estate investment) since last October and the replies I have had so far were either a rejection (either because the position has filled up or a simple rejection) or constant emails saying my application is still under review.

The company I’ve applied ranges from the most prestige IB to the medium size investment firm in London. Many of the larger firms sent out multiple emails to me stating my application is still under consideration but reject me in the end because the position has filled up (HSBC, for example, sent me five emails before they rejected me...). For the smaller firms, I normally get a rejection pretty quickly. However, my CV was reviewed by an ex-intern (due to start full-time this summer) from Goldman Sachs at the EFM society in my uni. He thought my CV was good and only advice he gave me was on the format. The career office at my uni also gave positive feedbacks to my CV and cover letter.

I am not saying my background and my cover letter is incredible, but I don't think they are that bad either. I've passed all the numerical tests but have not received even a first round interview by any of the companies and am starting to wonder if I am missing something? I am an international student, and I know full-time jobs need to be filled with local first, but is it the same for the internship? Here is a simple summary of my background. Could someone please advise me on where I am lacking and how I can improve?

-Undergrad in economics at Bristol U (2:1)
-Currently a master student at UCL
-Internship in wealth management and real estate development (both in Asia)
-part-time job in Bristol but not really relevant.
-Play sports (1st team) in uni and high school.
-Committee member of two societies.

I've included the relevant skills (leadership, teamwork etc.) in both my CV and cover letter and showed I have proficient knowledge of excel and powerpoint gained from my experience. The only thing I can think of which I’m lacking is experience in trading. I used to invest in forex with simulation money but nothing more. Is my background really just not impressive enough to even get a first round interview? Or is it something else? (international student so VISA?) Please help!
Terry Tibbs
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Probably because you're a masters student and you've been applying to internships, not grad.

Posted from TSR Mobile
kobe0921
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by Terry Tibbs)
Probably because you're a masters student and you've been applying to internships, not grad.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I contacted the recruiters before I applied and they all said it is okay for master student to apply..
Terry Tibbs
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by kobe0921)
I contacted the recruiters before I applied and they all said it is okay for master student to apply..
I doubt all of them did since some of not most of the BBs and other firms explicitly state only penultimate years can apply.
makrxx
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
If it's any consolation, I'm an international student, semi-target, final year applying to mix of internships and graduate scheme. Did an internship at a bulge bracket last summer. 30-40 apps, only 3 interviews. So <10% hit rate I'm getting even with a BB (+ another big bank and extracurriculars) on my CV.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you registered to vote?

18-20 years old (yes) (218)
53.3%
18-20 years old (no) (53)
12.96%
20-25 years old (yes) (64)
15.65%
20-25 years old (no) (9)
2.2%
25-30 years old (yes) (24)
5.87%