The Student Room Group

best friend being manipulated by gf...

One of my closest friends is being, in my opinion, manipulated by his gf. They have been dating for just short of a year and to begin with I thought she was great, I genuinely loved spending my time with them but slowly I started noticing her changing him and him becoming increasingly down about life. She always cries when she doesn’t get her own way and whenever he spends time with his friends and not her she tells him that they need to ‘take a break’ which upsets him so much that he chooses to be with her 24/7 and not us. It’s also affecting his university work because she won’t even let him do that. I find the break thing particularly manipulative but the worst of it is he feels like he can’t break up with her because she makes comments that insinuate she will kill herself if he does. I don’t know. It’s so hard for me as his best friend to see him like this. I used to think the world of her but as times gone on she’s just turned into a massive psycho. Things between them have been bad for about 5 months. Recently he’s been talking about this new girl that stays in the same halls as him. He seems so happy when he speaks about her and she seems to be bringing out the old him. I spoke to him about the possibility of him breaking up with her and seeing how things go with this girl but he just gets mad and says I know he can’t leave her. Has anyone been in this situation? any advice? I want him to be happy.
Reply 1
get him to do a pros and cons table to weigh up what's good and bad about the relationship and add your own once he's finished. hopefully he will see it then
She definitely sounds manipulative but the only person who can sort out the relationship is your friend. It's down to him to make the decision to end it and it's only going to get worse the longer it drags on.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending