Best A-levels for medicine?

Watch this thread
This discussion is closed.
Alice&&dd
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
For my A-levels, I am going to definitely take chemistry and biology. At my school we can take 4 subjects, and then drop one after the first year, so we only take 3 actual a levels. I can’t decide which other two subjects to take out of Maths, Psychology and French.

I’m not a great fan of maths, but I know it could help me getting into medicine, as it looks stronger. My school only offers Pre-u psychology, and I don’t know if this is strong enough? I enjoy French, and would love to speak it better, but this probably won’t help me in the future?

What should I do?
Patpsbl
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 years ago
drop french. do maths, psychology, bio and chem
Medicine2018
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
You could do English instead of maths
Medicine2018
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Or do maths Chem bio Psychology
ForestCat
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Alice&&dd)
For my A-levels, I am going to definitely take chemistry and biology. At my school we can take 4 subjects, and then drop one after the first year, so we only take 3 actual a levels. I can’t decide which other two subjects to take out of Maths, Psychology and French.

I’m not a great fan of maths, but I know it could help me getting into medicine, as it looks stronger. My school only offers Pre-u psychology, and I don’t know if this is strong enough? I enjoy French, and would love to speak it better, but this probably won’t help me in the future?

What should I do?
As long as you do Bio and Chem the rest is up to you. Pick the subject you enjoy most and are most likely to get an A in. You don't need maths and it won't make you "look stronger", medicine applications don't work that way.

If you enjoy French, then go with French. Much easier to get good grades in a subject you enjoy.
COYS...TTID
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
I do French bio chem maths and have an offer from Cambridge for medicine. If you want to go oxbridge they’ll want bio chem maths and then choose your favourite
gomgossa
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
do which ones you prefer and are best at. It's honestly that simple- beyond bio and chem, the subjects you choose genuinely don't matter, and any 3 of french, psychology and maths will only be judged at what grade you get.

Basically, if you are not a fan of maths- do not take maths !!!! Don't take it. You will most likely not get a good grade at a level if you don't even enjoy it at gcse. Also it will in no way help your application look stronger, especially if you're predicted an A in maths but you could be A* in French, and definitely not if you achieve a B in maths as opposed to an A in psychology or something. The only way maths may help is possibly with the bmat and cambridge, so maybe look into this but again I would really only suggest doing maths (or any subject) if you actually like it.

Not sure about the pre-u thing; you'll have to look into that, but I know it's an accepted qualification for medicine so I really doubt that it would be weaker than an a level. Idk though.

I have done extensive research on this lol and have taken bio, chem and rs. If you have any more questions for reassurance please don't hesitate to ask.
Best of luck.
GalGirl101
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
As long as you got Bio and Chem it doesn't really matter? A lot of people took maths but that's cause they liked it. I would take french if you're interested but if you like maths take it. I would look at the unis you're interested in and see what subjects they want.
Democracy
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Maths, psychology or French are all good choices, you should pick whichever one you like the most and feel you can do best in. Check the websites to see if they will accept the Pre U qualification.

There isn't a secret undisclosed hierarchy of A level subjects; if maths made your application stronger, the medical schools would be the first to tell you about it.
djdubzzy
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Maths (esp stats) does help a bit with bio and chem. However your extra A levels should be on things you enjoy.

Some universities do prefer maths (like Cambridge) but others prefer contrasting A levels (e.g. UCL). Languages are always useful as you are able to speak to and understand different people - a skill that will help you both in medicine and in life generally. At the end of the day take 4 that you enjoy and then drop one you find is too difficult.
The Medic Portal
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Alice&ⅆ75710472)

What should I do?
Hi there!

Our best suggestion would be to take the subject you most enjoy! Most medical schools require both Chemistry and Biology but aside from this many don't specify what the third A-Level should be, only that it should be academic.

You can find out more about A-Level requirements of each med school on our What A-Levels do you need to be a doctor? page.

Hope this helps!
The Medic Portal
Avi101
Badges: 5
Rep:
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by COYS...TTID)
I do French bio chem maths and have an offer from Cambridge for medicine. If you want to go oxbridge they’ll want bio chem maths and then choose your favourite
no. because they don't require 4 a-levels. Oxford only require chem + 1 other science (Bio, Phys or Maths) + anything else. So they can take bio, chem, and french/psychology. However i don't know about cambridge
Avi101
Badges: 5
Rep:
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by The Medic Portal)
Hi there!

Our best suggestion would be to take the subject you most enjoy! Most medical schools require both Chemistry and Biology but aside from this many don't specify what the third A-Level should be, only that it should be academic.

You can find out more about A-Level requirements of each med school on our What A-Levels do you need to be a doctor? page.

Hope this helps!
The Medic Portal
hiya! what do you mean exactly by 'academic' ? Thanks
becausethenight
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 10 months ago
This thread is 3 years old so has been closed
If you want to start a new discussion, the A levels thread here is a good starting point https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=5611422
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (226)
42.24%
The paper was reasonable (228)
42.62%
Not feeling great about that exam... (48)
8.97%
It was TERRIBLE (33)
6.17%

Watched Threads