Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I was reading a powerpoint presentation off the queens website for computer science and it says that attendance for practical classes is mandatory and if i dont get 100% attendance i will fail the module no matter how well i do in my tests. Thing is my g'friend is in edinburgh and ive already booked flights over to see her and cheapest ones are on a friday mornin so if i have practical classes on fri at all i wont be able 2 go? do u think they are really as strict as this? someone is bound 2 get sick an miss one or something?

I was told to have 100% attendence or else fail in two units, one wa deadly serious and unless u cud prove u were unable to get out of bed cos u were so sick or some other proof of disaster you failed. whereas the other unit it was just a threat and some ppl never turned up the whole semester and still passed. i think it depends on lecturer and course

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by QUB_Student)
    I was reading a powerpoint presentation off the queens website for computer science and it says that attendance for practical classes is mandatory and if i dont get 100% attendance i will fail the module no matter how well i do in my tests. Thing is my g'friend is in edinburgh and ive already booked flights over to see her and cheapest ones are on a friday mornin so if i have practical classes on fri at all i wont be able 2 go? do u think they are really as strict as this? someone is bound 2 get sick an miss one or something?

Absence due to physical incapacity is one thing, absence due to getting your rocks off is quite another. If you can't sell /change your flights then speak to your tutors about changing the odd class (sometimes possible if the same class is taught on several days due to the size of the group).

ReputationRep:

My degree was the same. They were easier on lectures, but yuo were not allowed to miss practicals without a doctors certificate. If you diod you failed the module and therefore failed your degree.

ReputationRep:
    we have a similiar system, passing each year, as well as passing the exam papers you need a 'satisfactory' practical record i.e. basically full attendence & all write ups marked off. & i can unerstand why.. in a science/medical subject practicals are key.

however, i missed one though illness, so with a tutor's note & the write up done from other results in my own time - that was fine. & some people were able to switch groups for sporting events, but to visit a girlfriend on a regular basis...? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elles)
    we have a similiar system, passing each year, as well as passing the exam papers you need a 'satisfactory' practical record i.e. basically full attendence & all write ups marked off. & i can unerstand why.. in a science/medical subject practicals are key.

however, i missed one though illness, so with a tutor's note & the write up done from other results in my own time - that was fine. & some people were able to switch groups for sporting events, but to visit a girlfriend on a regular basis...? :confused:

We didn't even get respite on a Wednesday afternoon It was sport or your degree!

ReputationRep:
    They're not that strict if you miss the odd one each year and catch up with the work (as long as you have a good reason, mind), but missing one every couple of weeks, no chance. You may be able to reschedule it if you did have one on Friday, but it's a long shot, it normally only happenes if you're in a University sports team.

ReputationRep:
    Would they be OK about you having a driving test (assuming that you turned up to everything else and would catch the work up)?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chubb)
    Would they be OK about you having a driving test (assuming that you turned up to everything else and would catch the work up)?
    It depends on how your tutor was feeling. It's up to them after all.

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.