revisionlad
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi, I'll attach the image. It's basically asking why 'methyl' group is preferred and given a higher preference than 'oxo- in a dicarboxylic acid- as the correct answer in the Textbook says it is 1. I don't understand how tho?
Attached files
charco
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by revisionlad)
Hi, I'll attach the image. It's basically asking why 'methyl' group is preferred and given a higher preference than 'oxo- in a dicarboxylic acid- as the correct answer in the Textbook says it is 1. I don't understand how tho?
I suggest that the ketone loses priority by being one of the prefixes to the root, in this case alphabetic order is used to prioritize.

http://www.acdlabs.com/iupac/nomencl...93/r93_317.htm
revisionlad
Rep:
?
(Original post by charco)
I suggest that the ketone loses priority by being one of the prefixes to the root, in this case alphabetic order is used to prioritize.

http://www.acdlabs.com/iupac/nomencl...93/r93_317.htm
Hi, thank you. I understand how the ketone loses priority to the root as the carboxylic acid is higher preference. I also understand why alphabetically the methyl would be named first.

But what I don't understand is how on a dicarboxylic acid like this, the methyl gets a higher priority position (numerical) in comparison to the ketone.

We get qs like this on my exam and they give you these names to choose from as multiple choice purposefully to catch students out. That's why I'm being extra particular.
Thanks.
charco
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by revisionlad)
Hi, thank you. I understand how the ketone loses priority to the root as the carboxylic acid is higher preference. I also understand why alphabetically the methyl would be named first.

But what I don't understand is how on a dicarboxylic acid like this, the methyl gets a higher priority position (numerical) in comparison to the ketone.

We get qs like this on my exam and they give you these names to choose from as multiple choice purposefully to catch students out. That's why I'm being extra particular.
Thanks.
Like I suggested.

Once the groups become prefixes the normal priority rules do not apply and it becomes alphabetical.
revisionlad
Rep:
?
(Original post by charco)
Like I suggested.

Once the groups become prefixes the normal priority rules do not apply and it becomes alphabetical.
Oh right okay. So alphabetical order dictates numerical position in this occasion?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (78)
26.44%
No - I have already returned home (36)
12.2%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (59)
20%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (31)
10.51%
No - I live at home during term anyway (91)
30.85%

Watched Threads